Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

av8raaron

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2014
Performa 430. It's been a little bit...

Macintosh_Performa_430-1290x616.jpg

Antares23

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2014
Chartres, France
iPhone 4 8GB, in 2014, when I was 13 my mom gave me her old iPhone she bought new in 2011. It was already on iOS 7, and therefore terribly slow. I remember watching the livestream of iPhone 6 keynote on it lol
My first Mac was a Early 2006 20" iMac I've bought in 2015 after two years of hackintoshing lol

sack_peak

Suspended
Sep 3, 2023

I like that form factor and understand where the Mac mini, Mac Studio and Cube originated from.

In the 80s & 90s I used DOS & Windows with 1 floppy, 1 CD-ROM drive, 1 HDD, built-in modem, audio & video and I wish we had that form factor back in the day in PC land.

I think it was incredibly wasteful to ship an empty metal box with expansion slots that would likely never be filled.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard

There are days when I might miss my Performa 476, which was a LC 475 with a lower cost 68LC040--no math co-processor. That one RAM slot would hold 32 MB, but that card was over US$1000 when I bought it. My best System 7 to MacOS 9.x Mac was a Power Computing Mac Clone with a PowerPC 604e, though.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
My first Apple purchase was a Quicktake 150 as like in this picture

Apple-quicktake-150.jpg

I had been using traditional 35mm camera's at the time but had been aware of the newest tech of digital camera's. I heard about this thing and just had to have it because it looked so cool :) (it was the latest model out at the time). It came with drivers for Windows but I wanted to get a mac because I knew it would be so much more easier to use. Getting the camera ventured into my beginnings of buying and using mac computers. This brought on my 2nd Apple purchase which was a Apple Powerbook 520c, which I sadly no longer have (it died, motherboard failure and screen failure)

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
I've always considered myself a real Mac/Apple fan-girl, but until now, I didn't even know that Apple made a camera! Thanks for sharing; I learned something! :)
To be honest, even though I was looking at the new tech of digital cameras when they were being released I had no idea Apple was one of the companies investing in this new technology. When I very first saw the camera on the sellers stall my first thought was that it was an Apple external CD rom drive. Even though I didn't need a external CD rom drive let alone an Apple one because I didn't have an Apple computer at that moment in time I thought it still looked cool so decided to pick it up and look at it more closely. That's when I realized it was something much much more....a digital camera :), the rest it history :)

Reactions: bondr006

C0ncreteBl0nde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2023
Rural America
To be honest, even though I was looking at the new tech of digital cameras when they were being released I had no idea Apple was one of the companies investing in this new technology. When I very first saw the camera on the sellers stall my first thought was that it was an Apple external CD rom drive. Even though I didn't need a external CD rom drive let alone an Apple one because I didn't have an Apple computer at that moment in time I thought it still looked cool so decided to pick it up and look at it more closely. That's when I realized it was something much much more....a digital camera :), the rest it history :)
It certainly LOOKS cool...how did it perform? Were you pleased with the photos? (Old photographer here).

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
It certainly LOOKS cool...how did it perform? Were you pleased with the photos? (Old photographer here).
At the time yes I was pleased. If memory serves me right the memory card only holds 8 pictures. The quality was no where near that of traditional 35mm camera's but the fact that I could just instantly take a picture and then upload it to a computer was something that blew my mind because with 35mm camera film, where I was I always had to send it off to a processing lab and then wait a week for the photo's to come back. That meant paying for film and paying to have it processed. None of that with the digital camera :). Even as a hobbyist photographer I would still make the obvious mistakes of covering part of the lens with my finger or getting the focus wrong but would only know this when the photo's came back from the processing lab but with the Quicktake, even though it does not have a viewing screen, with the aid of a laptop I could download the pics from the camera there and then and be able to see if I screwed up any of the pics and retake them again if need be.

Reactions: C0ncreteBl0nde

EdwardC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2012
Georgia
Apple Performa 630 in 1995:The Apple Macintosh Performa 630 (CD) (PC) features a 33 MHz 68LC040 processor, 4 MB or 8 MB of RAM, and a 250 MB hard drive in a compact desktop case. The Performa 630CD added an internal 2X CD-ROM drive and the Performa 630 PC-Compatible shipped with a 66 MHz Intel 486DX2 processor card which can have a maximum of 32 MB of RAM dedicated to the DOS/Windows operating system.

thecautioners

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2022
Black MacBook. Absolutely adored that machine. It has since been lost due to several moves, but oddly I still have the box in my coat closet. I’ll keep it forever haha. My second Apple product was the first iPhone.

Buadhai

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2018
Korat, Thailand
I was in LA in 1984 for the Olympics. I went to the Byte Show downtown and saw my first original Mac being used by Jerry Pournelle ("I don't need no trash can.") I was intrigued and bought one. Here it is, still running in 2010, 26 years later. Since 1984 I have purchased nothing but Apple computers except for a handful of Raspberry Pies used for special purposes. I also bought a bunch of Apple stock. That was pure luck.

1984Mac.jpg

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
First Mac in my household was one of the pre-G3 Macs with the indecipherable number-based names. The first Apple thing I personally owned was a black first gen iPod Nano.

JapanApple

Suspended
Sep 16, 2022
Japan
Looking at that setup, those floppy disk drives look identical in size and color to the ones that the BBC micro used. I wonder if the same company made them for Apple and Acorn Computers Limited who were the makers of the BBC micro computer.
Oh they’re identical to what I had. That’s a really good question. But those are the ones that were sold by Apple as Apple products. So they were original. I remember buying everything that was Apple original.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.