Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

If there is no iMac refresh by the end of July, what will you do?

• Keep waiting, I gotta have it no matter how long it takes.

Votes: 133 65.5%
  • Bail, if Apple can't get me the hardware I want I'll find it somewhere else.

Votes: 70 34.5%

• Total voters

Djlild7hina

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
Right now I have a hackintosh which specs are in my sig. I'm planning on buying an yamakasi catleap 1440p monitor for around $300 and building either an ivy bridge or sandy bridge-e system with an external 8-bay usb 3.0/e-sata raid box. Hackintoshes are relatively easier to build now than before so I'm not too worried if I decide to make another one. I'll most likely just use the new computer as my main system running windows 8 though. If apple does plan to add 4k resolution to the screen to the imac and some decent specs I might change my mind haha

jji7skyline

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2011
My Mac is going to last me until college at least so I'm not looking to abandoning it any time soon :)

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Since it's basically a given all new Macs will have usb 3. I'd just wait regardless.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
You seem to have taken what he said far too personally. He isn't having a go at your beliefs he was just commenting on why he and many others don't like your argument.
Well, he called me ignorant and insane, and told me I shouldn't read or post on this thread. So, yes, I took it personally. (But I agree he isn't having a go at my "beliefs".)

There are plenty of people in this thread who have pragmatically announced that they will have to buy whatever iMac is available when they need one. It's a valid position to hold, regardless of whether anyone "likes it". It may have been an interesting option to include in the poll. As would "I'll buy another sort of Mac that has been updated".

At the end of the day the 2011 iMac is outdated and therefore overpriced. If that doesn't bother you then well done.
It does bother me. However, I use a lot of Mac-only programs. I use a lot of AppleScript. I'm unfamiliar with Windows, and I haven't liked it when I've used it. Switching to Windows or Linux would come with its own extra costs, in terms of software, time and effort and possible loss of data.
The current iMac is over-priced. But it is still a very capable machine, and will last me several years. If the new iMacs come this month, then I'll buy one. If they don't, I'll probably buy the 2011 model. It that upsets anyone, then they need to get a sense of proportion.
You may be interested to know that my 2006 iMac's screen is faulty. That might be a valid reason for needing whatever is available.

I won't like it, but I'd rather have jam today than the promise of jam tomorrow.

Last edited:

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
There are plenty of people in this thread who have pragmatically announced that they will have to buy whatever iMac is available when they need one. It's a valid position to hold, regardless of whether anyone "likes it"

Understand, many of us have a mental image of Tim Cook physically mugging anyone buying a 2011 iMac at full price today. The profit margin has to be approaching 75% on that. It's just extremely poor value. If you're comfortable with that, more power to you, and the shareholders thank you.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
The profit margin has to be approaching 75% on that. It's just extremely poor value. If you're comfortable with that, more power to you, and the shareholders thank you.
I didn't say I was comfortable with it -- but Apple's profit is essentially irrelevant to my purchasing decision. If Apple makes more profit one day on the same retail price than they did the day before, then that's business. I'm in the UK, and Apple's profits will vary according to their currency deals. I have no idea what profit they make. (But I would be interested to see your figures on the 75% thing.)

I could have bought the 2011 iMac a year ago for the same price, and already had a year's worth of its benefits. I have to cut my losses eventually.

I can't wait indefinitely for a new Mac. I have a need for a new one now, and I will have to get whatever is available. For all we know, the iMac might be going the way of the Mac Pro, and it might be more than 200 days till a refresh.

Gaiduku

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2012
Can't wait for a mac forever is definitely a statement I agree with. However for me the option of just cuttings my losses and buying an outdated iMac or a laptop that I don't really want just doesn't sit to well with me

For me it's either a new iMac or I just say goodbye to apple. Might sound silly or whatever but at the end of the day I can live with window if it means getting today's specs not last years

awer25

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2011
For me it's either a new iMac or I just say goodbye to apple. Might sound silly or whatever but at the end of the day I can live with window if it means getting today's specs not last years

Or Hackintosh ;) Best of both worlds - get to keep using OSX and get today's hardware (and way more powerful versions that Apple gives you too) for a cheaper price.

Gaiduku

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2012
Or Hackintosh ;) Best of both worlds - get to keep using OSX and get today's hardware (and way more powerful versions that Apple gives you too) for a cheaper price.

Hmm it's definitely an option but I'm not too sure about it. Yes there are guides out there but it looks a lot less easy as just clicking parts together and shoving windows on it

I'm about to do my first ever pc build and what the whole thing to be as easy as possible

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
Can't wait for a mac forever is definitely a statement I agree with. However for me the option of just cuttings my losses and buying an outdated iMac or a laptop that I don't really want just doesn't sit to well with me

I'm in the same boat. I can live with windows but I don't want to. But I'll wait a few more weeks - the longer I wait the less it justifies to buy the current iMac - which allready is a bad deal.

TVreporter

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2012
Near Toronto
Wirelessly posted

I don't understand why Apple wouldn't drop the price a bit on the 2011 to keep people from buying a newer computer with 2012 specs. It would speed up getting rid of inventory and keep more Apple fans happy.

My deadline is July 31. Dont let me down Apple.

jmhart

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
Well, he called me ignorant and insane, and told me I shouldn't read or post on this thread. So, yes, I took it personally. (But I agree he isn't having a go at my "beliefs".)

Actually I implied you are not technically savvy in regards to the hardware...I never said you were ignorant. My post was meant to let people know they will be getting straight up robbed by Apple if they buy last years model for the same price its been selling for since day one then a new model comes out sometime between now and a few months from now.

There are plenty of people in this thread who have pragmatically announced that they will have to buy whatever iMac is available when they need one. It's a valid position to hold, regardless of whether anyone "likes it". It may have been an interesting option to include in the poll. As would "I'll buy another sort of Mac that has been updated".

There is a poll that was posted a few days before mine that is exactly as you described but had no option for those of us who will not be sticking with Apple if they can't manage to keep their hardware up-to-date on at least an annual basis.

There's a reason why the buyer's guide exists: to let people know when the existing hardware is no longer a decent value. It doesn't mean folks can't buy anyway but rather to warn you that you'll be getting sucker punched by Apple if you do.

My irritation is with Apple and to those of you don't have any choice in the matter, you have my sympathy.

Gaiduku

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2012
Overall what this has shown me is that I should never view apple, mac osx or any product in such a silly religious way

I like osx and I like apple products but I shouldn ignore how expensive and sometimes overpriced it can all be. At the end of the day - its just a computer

jmhart

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
Overall what this has shown me is that I should never view apple, mac osx or any product in such a silly religious way

I like osx and I like apple products but I shouldn ignore how expensive and sometimes overpriced it can all be. At the end of the day - its just a computer

I was thinking the same thing. If anything this wait since last year's iMac release has reminded me that there's nothing so special about Macs that makes all this waiting worthwhile. Building a hackintosh is kind of a pain, but it's less irritating than this waiting has been. ;)

The only reason I'm still waiting is I think because I have already waited this long it seems like I should give it a little longer or I might regret it. I'm definitely almost out of patience though.

HurryKayne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
I'm in the same ship,i will wait a little more till August,then if Apple won't release any new Imac,i'll have to suppose it won't for a while,maybe next year and i can't wait next Spring,like i did until now,and i'll buy a new Macbook Pro non retina with 650m-1GB.
I'm sure (^^ i hope) its able to drive an external 24 display (1920x1080) with enough power for games,Cad etc.
Actually the only piece of hardware that doesn't match with my expectations is Gpu,but its Kepler after all,and under the hood it has IvyBridge,CactusRidge TB,Usb3.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.