Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
I'm not one to bitch about what should have been; I'm ecstatic about CC. I love having easy access to bluetooth and such now and I couldn't be happier. But if we could somehow have sit-down with admin at Apple, what do you think their answer would be? Why has something so blatantly fundamental been abandoned previously? I really can't imagine what kind of justification they'd have.

My opening line was to stress that I'm not complaining; I'm just really curious.

Last edited:

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
But if we could somehow have sit-down with admin at Apple, what do you think their answer would be? Why has something so blatantly fundamental been abandoned? I really can't imagine what kind of justification they'd have.

My opening line was to stress that I'm not complaining; I'm just really curious.

Say about what? What's been blatantly abandoned?

Regardless, Apple has no problem selling millions upon millions of iOS devices. I'm not sure a bunch of geeks is the only crowd Apple targets. Kids, Grandmas, soccer moms, etc. Apple wants everyone to effortlessly know how to use an iPhone. So a sit-down with Tim Cook probably won't do much good considering All Thing's D drilled him pretty good a couple weeks ago.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
Say about what? What's been blatantly abandoned?

Regardless, Apple has no problem selling millions upon millions of iOS devices. I'm not sure a bunch of geeks is the only crowd Apple targets. Kids, Grandmas, soccer moms, etc. Apple wants everyone to effortlessly know how to use an iPhone. So a sit-down with Tim Cook probably won't do much good considering All Thing's D drilled him pretty good a couple weeks ago.

Easier access to bluetooth, wifi, et cetera. I see tons of request with people questioning Apple just like I do; those seem more like wants rather than necessities. And while CC type functionality might not have seemed vital to everyone, I feel like it's one of the more reasonable things to approach with this kind of question.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
I didn't post in jest... :confused:

No one has any idea what you're talking about.
They've added the exact functionality you're complaining about so what exactly has Apple abandoned?
Are you asking why it wasn't there from the beginning?
Go back and read what you've written because it doesn't make any sense.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
No one has any idea what you're talking about.
They've added the exact functionality you're complaining about so what exactly has Apple abandoned?
Are you asking why it wasn't there from the beginning?
Go back and read what you've written because it doesn't make any sense.

I'm not one to bitch about what should have been; I'm ecstatic about CC. I love having easy access to bluetooth and such now and I couldn't be happier. But if we could somehow have sit-down with admin at Apple, what do you think their answer would be? Why has something so blatantly fundamental been abandoned previously? I really can't imagine what kind of justification they'd have.

Amazing how one word can change the context of a conversation.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
You can't abandon something that was never there to begin with.
Ignored....
Neglected....
Omitted....
Any of those words would have given your post some clarity.
As it was it was just confusing.

Yes, you can abandon the idea something that is wanted/useful/pertinent. People have been asking for it forever. Not only was it a feature in demand but it just makes sense. I'm not going to go back and forth with you on this. Contribute something substantial to my discussion or leave. Thanks.

And for the record, abandoned, neglected, and ignored are all synonymous.

Last edited:

johndallas999

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2008
Seattle
Easier access to bluetooth, wifi, et cetera. I see tons of request with people questioning Apple just like I do; those seem more like wants rather than necessities. And while CC type functionality might not have seemed vital to everyone, I feel like it's one of the more reasonable things to approach with this kind of question.

Is everyone else as confused as I am about what the OP's issue(s) are?

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
Yes, you can abandon the idea something that is wanted/useful/pertinent. People have been asking for it forever. Not only was it a feature in demand but it just makes sense. I'm not going to go back and forth with you on this. Contribute something substantial to my discussion or leave. Thanks.

No, you can't. To abandon means something needs to have previously existed. Ever heard of abandonware in software terms?

This is the same concept, yet for ideas. The correct word you're looking for is ignore.

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
If I remember correctly, the iPhone 5 and last year's OS system were the last ones that Jobs had a big influence on, or at least that's what the media and rumours were saying at the time that he passed away... That he'd had a hand in planning the next year's phone. With his illness and death, it's quite possible that Apple didn't have the focus to add these things in, or it could simply be that they still didn't see it as necessary. Jobs was brilliant but he was also very arrogant and thought that his way was the best, so that may have had an influence.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
If I remember correctly, the iPhone 5 and last year's OS system were the last ones that Jobs had a big influence on, or at least that's what the media and rumours were saying at the time that he passed away... That he'd had a hand in planning the next year's phone. With his illness and death, it's quite possible that Apple didn't have the focus to add these things in, or it could simply be that they still didn't see it as necessary. Jobs was brilliant but he was also very arrogant and thought that his way was the best, so that may have had an influence.

Thanks for the insight. I agree, especially in regard to your last statement.

HarryAinslie

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2011
Doncaster, England, UK
I think you could say this about anything mate!

- Why didn't TV's have Freeview built in at the start?
- Why did that chicken come before that egg?
- Why has Airdrop only come to iOS now?

Like CosmoPilot said, Millions of iOS devices are being sold year upon year,

What percentage of people were sitting using their phone saying "I can't be bothered to go into Settings to put airplane mode on! I could use those 2 seconds a lot more wisely!"

I love how this has been turned into a English Lesson now! :D

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
I think you could say this about anything mate!

- Why didn't TV's have Freeview built in at the start?
- Why did that chicken come before that egg?
- Why has Airdrop only come to iOS now?

Like CosmoPilot said, Millions of iOS devices are being sold year upon year,

What percentage of people were sitting using their phone saying "I can't be bothered to go into Settings to put airplane mode on! I could use those 2 seconds a lot more wisely!"

I love how this has been turned into a English Lesson now! :D

Was never something I previously complained about but I must say, I love the shortcuts! It was definitely a feature I was hoping for. And I agree to an extent; but six phones later? I'd really just love to know how they would respond.

Yes, quite the annoyance. :apple:

fivedots

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
Was never something I previously complained about but I must say, I love the shortcuts! It was definitely a feature I was hoping for. And I agree to an extent; but six phones later? I'd really just love to know how they would respond.

Yes, quite the annoyance. :apple:

They would respond by saying that 99% of iOS users don't have a use for the shortcuts, making them unnecessary clutter for most. As it is, the current implementation interferes with certain apps that rely on swipe up gesture.

I'm not saying I'm against the shortcuts - I like them. You need to remember that the vast majority of iOS users are not posting on rumor blogs and turning wifi, bluetooth, etc. off frequently or at all. Heck, even myself I hardly ever do that. The most useful shortcut for me will be Do Not Disturb. Personal Hotspot would be nice, but it is missing.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
They would respond by saying that 99% of iOS users don't have a use for the shortcuts, making them unnecessary clutter for most. As it is, the current implementation interferes with certain apps that rely on swipe up gesture.

I'm not saying I'm against the shortcuts - I like them. You need to remember that the vast majority of iOS users are not posting on rumor blogs and turning wifi, bluetooth, etc. off frequently or at all. Heck, even myself I hardly ever do that. The most useful shortcut for me will be Do Not Disturb. Personal Hotspot would be nice, but it is missing.

That's one of the main reasons for my post. I often think from other perspectives and I do realize that what suits my wants and needs might not coincide with others... but I thought this was something that most everyone would find extremely beneficial. To me it seems that settings like Wifi, brightness, et cetera are things that even the most "basic" iPhone users access pretty regularly.

fivedots

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
That's one of the main reasons for my post. I often think from other perspectives and I do realize that what suits my wants and needs might not coincide with others... but I thought this was something that most everyone would find extremely beneficial. To me it seems that settings like Wifi, brightness, et cetera are things that even the most "basic" iPhone users access pretty regularly.

Maybe, but I consider myself a pretty tech-savvy person and I never adjust my brightness, always leave wifi on, and rarely use a bluetooth device.

Obviously not the case for everyone.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK

I know what you mean! iOS have been progressing steadily since its birth without taking massive steps! It toke time for them to bring 'copy & paste, multitasking, push notification' and many other feautures that Android already had. I am on iOS 7 that so far am loving it and there is still no way to quick reply to a message without having to leave the app am working on to reply. They do it when they think it's right! I am fine with that. Id rather have them take all the time they need and make work without the slightest glithc.

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina

And for the record, abandoned, neglected, and ignored are all synonymous.

I don't believe Apple Execs are who you want to sit down and complain about this issue with. The real culprit is Scott Forstall (no longer with Apple).

As you can see, now that he's out things are changing.

I remember the iOS6 WWDC where Scott Forstall almost cringed when he had to unveil Notification Center. That was a highly sought after feature due to the damn pop up alerts, etc. If you go back and look at that WWDC, it almost seems he was pressured to add it against his will!

----------

I know what you mean! iOS have been progressing steadily since its birth without taking massive steps! It toke time for them to bring 'copy & paste, multitasking, push notification' and many other feautures that Android already had. I am on iOS 7 that so far am loving it and there is still no way to quick reply to a message without having to leave the app am working on to reply. They do it when they think it's right! I am fine with that. Id rather have them take all the time they need and make work without the slightest glithc.

I think quick replies are coming sooner rather than later. Mavericks was introduced with this feature, so I'm confident we will see this before 2014...maybe not 7.0, but soon after. Wouldn't make much sense for Mavericks to have it and not iOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.