Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Who cares?

They are two different computers...hard to compare them, especially an old chip like that.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
knightsky said:
what would be equivilent of mac g3 500mhz to pc?

I think to compare a PC processor to a Mac process you have to almost double the speed. Like a 1Ghz G4 would be about a 1.8Ghz P4. I know in a Keynote Steve Jobs calls it the "MHz myth". I think they compared a 867Mhz G4 to a 1.8 Ghz P4, and said that the G4 was about 50% than the P4 at the same task.

I'm not sure how you would apply this to a G3 but I assume it may have the same idea. I'm sure someone could elebrate on this more. :)

GulGnu

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2003
tech4all said:
I think to compare a PC processor to a Mac process you have to almost double the speed. Like a 1Ghz G4 would be about a 1.8Ghz P4. I know in a Keynote Steve Jobs calls it the "MHz myth". I think they compared a 867Mhz G4 to a 1.8 Ghz P4, and said that the G4 was about 50% than the P4 at the same task.

Any speed comparisons out of Apple should be taken with not one, but many grains of salt. Especially the pre-G5 ones, when Apple were desperate to show that they were not lagging behind even as Moto was failing to deliver better chips. Usually, the MacWorld Steve-demos consisted of :

a) running hand-picked photoshop filters

b) sometimes using a crippled (PC) version of Photoshop. (It had a bug in it that slowed rendering times)

c) Not disclosing the configuration and settings of the PC used, beyond processor speed

and so on... So in short, don't use Apple processor testing of pre G5 hardware for your purchasing descisions ;)

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
I don't want to start a fight or anything, but I'm guessing a PII? In the ads for the old G3 notebooks, Apple compared them to PII saying they could run rings around them.

I'm not up on procs though, so don't flame me if I'm wrong :rolleyes: :D

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i would also guess a Pentium II its not exact, but a higher end II would probably be the closest to that speed G3

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
I've got these two machines:

Beige G3@300mhz (oc'ed from 266mhz)
Ati Rage II+ 6mb
384mb ram
Running Jaguar 10.2.8

Dell Otiplex PII@400mhz
Ati Rage Pro 4mb
192mb ram
Running XP Pro

The G3 feels almost twice as fast, except browsing where i find the MS IE (pc) is a little faster than Safari/Firefox (mac).
The Mac has twice the amout of ram.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.