1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

What would be faster for editing in FCP?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by DisFrikkenWill, Jul 6, 2005.

1. macrumors member

PowerMac Dual 1 GHz G4 with 1.5 gb of ram
    Or a Imac Single 1.8ghz G5 with 512mb of ram?

I want to get one of these but dont know which one to pick and im more of a tower guy but to me speed is better then looks.

2. macrumors regular

Probably the dual G4.

3. macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

First off, don't even think of the iMac G5 with 512 Mb RAM - that's non-viable for FCP.

Like saying - what's faster, a Volkswagen Golf with 14" wheels or a Ferrari with bicycle tires....

4. macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

look at this thread.... my answer is still the same. The point I was trying to make on the other thread is, video runs at a set speed, 25 or 30 aprox fps If you take in 45min of footage it takes 45 min if you watch a 45 min edit It will take 45min. You could be working on a top end G5 or a 500mhz imac the speed is no different, The difference is what you are doing with it. If you are doing lots of layers / overlays, that when you will need the extra speed. I can do 4 layers of DV on my G5 with out having to render it, On my old G4 I wouldn't have stood a chance.
    I would go for the G4 you can have extra internal drives & monitors. You will also need to have a second drive for your media, as it is not recommended that you use your boot drive. with a imac this would be a FW drive. on the G4 this can be internal.