Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EHUnlucky7x9@ao

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 8, 2006
New Jersey
What would you guys do in my situation?

I had a 512mb memory module that I had sold. I tested it on an iMac G4 prior to shipping and it registered as a 512mb stick. I removed it and placed it in an anti-static bag and shipped it out. The buyer received the memory stick and put it into his powerbook and it registered as a 256mb stick. A few days goes by and he said he checked the memory module again and it registered as a 256mb again.

So what should I do? I mailed it out as a 512 but he says its a 256. Should I question the buyer's handling of the memory stick? Or if he plugged it into various machines causing it to mess up? or what?

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
It was definately a 512MB module? It wasn't that you had 512MB installed and it was 2x256MB or something simple, yet daft like that.

The buyer may also need to check what memory his powerbook supports.

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
Have them ship it back to you and test it again. If it says 256 when you test it, give a refund. If it says 512, ship it back to him. Include a printout of your System Profiler page or something where it says it is a 512 stick.

EHUnlucky7x9@ao

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 8, 2006
New Jersey
iGary said:
What does the manufacturer's label say?

I don't believe there was any number on the label. I recall a label on it, but I haven't got a clue.

steve_hill4 said:
It was definately a 512MB module? It wasn't that you had 512MB installed and it was 2x256MB or something simple, yet daft like that.

The buyer may also need to check what memory his powerbook supports.

Yes it was definitely a 512 module because the iMac G4 that i put it in had 256mb RAM. I installed the ram module and it made the iMac 768mb. Prior to that, the RAM was installed in my Powerbook G4 that had 2x512mb chips

He installed it in a Powerbook G4.

pianoman said:
Have them ship it back to you and test it again. If it says 256 when you test it, give a refund. If it says 512, ship it back to him. Include a printout of your System Profiler page or something where it says it is a 512 stick.

If I have him ship it back to me...and it registers as a 256...why should I refund it if I sent it out as a 512? Wouldn't I be at a loss in this situation?

Foggy said:
Just make sure he doesnt keep your 512mb stick and ship you back a 256mb chip.....

That's what I'm considering, but I didn't place any marks or anything on the RAM...so what if I get it and it looks just like what I sent out? The module I had didn't have any specific company logo on it.

EHUnlucky7x9@ao

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 8, 2006
New Jersey
Ok... the buyer sent back the RAM. It is a Samsung 512 PC133 SO-DIMM. That's what the sticker says. So what should I do now iGary? I DID TEST it prior to shipment. It registered as 512. Now tried it now in my iMac G4 and it registered as 256mb. :( What should I do?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.