what would you take?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by liquidforce, Sep 5, 2006.

1. liquidforce macrumors newbie

Mar 14, 2006
    I cannot decide:

20-inch iMac 2 GHz Intel Core Duo Z0CY1
    1GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x512MB
    500GB Serial ATA drive
    ATI Radeon X1600 with 256MB SDRAM
    SuperDrive 8x (DVD+R DL/DVD+RW/CD-RW)

Mac mini 1.66GHz Intel Core Duo
    Mac OS X (int'l English)
    SuperDrive 8x (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    100GB Serial ATA drive
    Intel GMA950 with 64MB shared memory
    1GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x512MB
    23-inch flatscreen
  2. jubjub macrumors member

May 11, 2005
    Wait a week and see if the rumored 23" iMac comes out.
  3. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

Sep 5, 2006
    Just a thought on the iMac's RAM - getting 1 x 1GB stick costs the same as 2 x 512MB. The iMac only has two RAM slots, so you would have to remove and sell/give away/reuse one of the 512MB sticks. Though I guess it depends on whether you really want "identical" matching RAM.
  4. brandon6684 Guest

Dec 30, 2002
    It all depends on what you need it for before I can make and informed judgement. But just speaking from experience, I've always liked the all in oneness of my iMacs, though my mini was small enough to not be a bother when I had it. I just don't like big towers though.
  5. liquidforce thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 14, 2006
    I will use it as a replacement for my regular pc, will probably use the Bootcamp possibility (like I have it on my MacBookPro 15" as well) for certain application which I cannot use under OS-X (like my Garmin POI software) for the rest the regular surfing, Office applications, some music/movie playing etc etc, nothing big or fancy, therefor I have my MacBookPro currently :)
  6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    I would personally go for the iMac, but with your hardware, and particularly if you have / use game consoles, etc, the external screen might be good, since you can use it for the MBP and for any other devices you have....