Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

liquidforce

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2006
I cannot decide:

20-inch iMac 2 GHz Intel Core Duo Z0CY1
1GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x512MB
500GB Serial ATA drive
ATI Radeon X1600 with 256MB SDRAM
SuperDrive 8x (DVD+R DL/DVD+RW/CD-RW)

or:

Mac mini 1.66GHz Intel Core Duo
Mac OS X (int'l English)
SuperDrive 8x (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
100GB Serial ATA drive
Intel GMA950 with 64MB shared memory
1GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x512MB
23-inch flatscreen

Allotriophagy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2006
Just a thought on the iMac's RAM - getting 1 x 1GB stick costs the same as 2 x 512MB. The iMac only has two RAM slots, so you would have to remove and sell/give away/reuse one of the 512MB sticks. Though I guess it depends on whether you really want "identical" matching RAM.

brandon6684

Dec 30, 2002
It all depends on what you need it for before I can make and informed judgement. But just speaking from experience, I've always liked the all in oneness of my iMacs, though my mini was small enough to not be a bother when I had it. I just don't like big towers though.

liquidforce

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2006
I will use it as a replacement for my regular pc, will probably use the Bootcamp possibility (like I have it on my MacBookPro 15" as well) for certain application which I cannot use under OS-X (like my Garmin POI software) for the rest the regular surfing, Office applications, some music/movie playing etc etc, nothing big or fancy, therefor I have my MacBookPro currently :)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I would personally go for the iMac, but with your hardware, and particularly if you have / use game consoles, etc, the external screen might be good, since you can use it for the MBP and for any other devices you have....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.