Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I don't think you'll get a new one for seven stuck pixels. Sorry. There's a set ratio that Apple uses to determine when a display is bad in terms of stuck/dead pixels. I can't remember what it is, but I think you'd probably need more than seven to qualify for a new one.

Another technique to get them fixed is to make a movie with lots of different colours which change very rapidly (use PowerPoint if available). Leave this running in the same area as the stuck pixels overnight and sometimes pixels become unstuck. :)

seabass069

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2005
I have the same problem with my adaptec drive enclosure. I have to start and stop my MacMini 3 or 4 times for it finally mounts the drive. I have tried everywhere to find a solution. So I went and order the MiniStack from other world computing. I guess it's supposed to start when the Macmini starts. Well see.

MacFan782040

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2003
mad jew said:
I don't think you'll get a new one for seven stuck pixels. Sorry. There's a set ratio that Apple uses to determine when a display is bad in terms of stuck/dead pixels. I can't remember what it is, but I think you'd probably need more than seven to qualify for a new one.

Another technique to get them fixed is to make a movie with lots of different colours which change very rapidly (use PowerPoint if available). Leave this running in the same area as the stuck pixels overnight and sometimes pixels become unstuck. :)

Is there somekind of program or Apple script that will do this?

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
mad jew said:
I don't think you'll get a new one for seven stuck pixels. Sorry.

Whatever. If you complain enough, you can get it replaced for ONE stuck pixel. The greasy wheel...

AP_piano295

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
ohcrap said:
I get full signal in my room with my PowerBook, whereas I only get "Very Good" signal (Windows machine) on my PC with my Belkin wireless card. I am one floor and at least 6 or 7 walls (3 rooms) away from the router.

because the apple machines have better recivers they run the antenna up the side of the screen. Your belkin card lacks an anttena ibook vs powerbook the ibook will win wireless range every time.

ohcrap

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2005
AP_piano295 said:
Your belkin card lacks an anttena
Huh? You mean entirely? It's got a good sized antenna on it, it just loses signal every now and then... and again... and once more just a minute ago. :mad:

AP_piano295

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
ohcrap said:
Huh? You mean entirely? It's got a good sized antenna on it, it just loses signal every now and then... and again... and once more just a minute ago. :mad:

lmao lmao lmao lmao I have an overly sensitive sense of humor but seriously idk about your belkin card my pops has one on his laptop and it doesnt compare with the range I get on my ibook so idk.

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
iMac G5s have terrible wireless reception. I'm one room, one short hallway away from my Linksys router and I routinely lose connection. The iMac just fails to see the router. Sometimes when it does see it and I try to connect, it says there was an error while connecting.

Could it be my ISP? I remember back in Canada with the same router and same Mac, I got great reception from further away (it was a much larger space though, not so small and confined, I live in an apartment now).

I was thinking of buying a Mac-compatible boosting antenna thingy, so maybe it could pick up weak signals from around my desk and bolster them a few feet to my iMac. If I still lose the connection after that I'll know something's really wrong.

Yossarian

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2005
iBook G4 12"

- slight creaking from ibook case (build quality not 100%)
- dragging/resizing movie windows breaks up video/audio
- dragging/resizing any window is awful compared to windows on a 300MHz P2
- staggeringly slow Quicktime UI
- lamentable FSB speeds on some models
- ibook screens are not even close to Sony et al
- slightly dodgy Dock UI
- shockingly poor package system
- oh dear god Office is slow
- lack of dev tools for cool things (PICs etc)
- no HD activity LED (didnt realise how useful it was...)
- nowhere near as light as an IBM X41

Some of these are very unfair but just a brain dump :D

simie

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2004
Sitting
I don't tell my Windows friends that my PM has 8 Gig of ram in it and its hooked up to a 30" display.

I do tell them that I surf the net without the aid of virus killer.

davidcb13

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2005
myspace locks up safari one out of every 2 times I go on.... Embarrasing I know but cut me a break Im only 16...

d_and_n5000

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
do macs that aren't yours count? classic on one of my school's iBooks(the one i usually have to use for lit/writing projects, which is their only reason for life) decides that it will take longer than 45 minutes(1 class period) to finally get classic up and running, and classic is imperative to my school, as 90% of the computers are 8.6 on down, and there are only 15 laptops, 12 kids in my class, and three are used by teachers because (a), the school didn't want to buy a brand new computer for a post that previously didn't exist, or (b), in my science teacher's case, his Lombard's screen broke, so they siphoned an iBook from the lab. Good thing others work fast, and so do I. otherwise, all my assignments would be a day late.;) but all of my friends are windows people, and everyone uses macs at school, so I can't tell them anything they don't already know. Other than jaguars speed(kinda slow), there is nothing wrong with any of them. Except for when they(being the iBooks) decide that ClarisWorks 4.0 isn't good enough, so they insist on using AppleWorks, so we hafta save tweak the settings so the doc is compatible with the other 20 or so computers on the server. I'm glad i got that off my chest.:p

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
One thing... When I have my iDisk mounted and my network is dropping packets, the window re-draws for the iDisk take over the finder...
But see, that's not really a Mac issue.... more like a net issue. If you look back at what everyone wrote, there just isn't anything major that sticks out at me. More proff I'm spending my adult computer life in ValHalla.

Kaiser Phoenix

Cancelled
May 12, 2005
I dont tell them that with 2000US you can in fact buy an IBM ThinkPad T43P 14inch 1400x1000 with Sonoma 2.26ghz with 2mb Level 2 cache with 1GB DDR2RAM, FireGLV300 ATI, 7200RPM 100G HD compared to a G4 powerbook which is ancient in my view. That was sad.

The fact that apple used to tell everyone how superior powerpc was and now they are going Intel. Dont get me wrong, its a good move but still i dont want to remind windows users about it.

Also, I cant do WEBCAM with MSN or Yahoo msnger on the MAC! I cant chat with my girlfriend abroad! its really annoying.

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
I dont like it that spotlight isnt as quick as it was on steve's demo - bang....wait a second (or two) ..... and there is the result! but it is bloody useful for launching applications!

i dont like how iphoto creates a slideshow everytime you just press play. i only want to watch my photos not create a slideshow!

wildcard

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2003
western PA
Kaiser Phoenix said:
Also, I cant do WEBCAM with MSN or Yahoo msnger on the MAC! I cant chat with my girlfriend abroad! its really annoying.

Odd-I have no problems with my Isight over Yahoo Messenger (video-only; audio chatting isn't supported by Yahoo for Mac.)

motherduce

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2005
Houston, TX
mad jew said:

Are you kidding? They should replace it if there is ONE stuck pixel. How can you guys take this crap from Apple. I'm desperate to switch, but I had a 15" PB with the line issue, battery problems, and a bad latch. I hear tons and tons of people saying that they are happy with their purchase despite stuck pixels or lines or other minor issues. Each of these issues is a defect, though, people. You pay premium prices and you settle for mediocre product? Sure the OS rocks and the hardware looks cool, but if it has problems, why in the hell do you insist on keeping it despite its problems? Wow, I've never seen so many people stick by a defective product in such a way.

A manufacturer should be held responsible when their product has problems, however minor they appear to you. Otherwise the consumer continues to lose.

Heck, I still want an Apple, but I'm going to return the next one I get if there are any issues as well, just like I would do with any other product I buy that has defects.

JeffHendr

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2002
Independence, MO
Both my 15" tiBook and my 17" Powerbook freak out when it comes to sleep mode. Sometimes they won't go into sleep mode when you close the lid, but then they'll go into sleep mode when you open them. Sometimes they'll come out of sleep mode when you open them, but as soon as you push a key to deactivate the screensaver, they go straight back into sleep mode.

The latches in my 17" Powerbook won't keep the lid closed. Sometimes I'll hear it log into iChat while carrying it in its case. Often if I do carry it in the case, the battery will be dead when I take it out because the lid popped itself open. If I carry the Powerbook by hand, the lid pops open and closed while I walk, and it spits CDs/DVDs out after several cycles of opened and closed.

The Powerbook logo washes off too easily.

Keynote's conversion to Powerpoint (if you need to present with Powerpoint for class or work because they don't own Macs) leaves much to be desired--text in the wrong place, pictures shoved to the side--not cool.

I need Windows for obscure programs required for school, and Virtual PC is way too slow. On the flip-side, however, I love logging into my school's UNIX systems remotely, directly from the OS X terminal window.

Quicktime's video formats are not generally compatible with Windows (Quicktime is not allowed on our computers at work). I guess that's a Windows problem too, however, because Windows Media Player could always expand their compatibility to be Quicktime friendly.

Despite what people say about OS X's Graphics Converter app, I miss MS Paint.

Fixed problems--After the latest revision of OS X, I never have any trouble with Safari--good comaptibility with all the sites I visit and way faster than IE. The newest version of iPhoto is very fast--no more waiting for each screen to load as I cycle through 6,000 photos.

jadekitty24

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
The poor section of Connecticut
motherduce said:
Are you kidding? They should replace it if there is ONE stuck pixel. How can you guys take this crap from Apple. I'm desperate to switch, but I had a 15" PB with the line issue, battery problems, and a bad latch. I hear tons and tons of people saying that they are happy with their purchase despite stuck pixels or lines or other minor issues. Each of these issues is a defect, though, people. You pay premium prices and you settle for mediocre product? Sure the OS rocks and the hardware looks cool, but if it has problems, why in the hell do you insist on keeping it despite its problems? Wow, I've never seen so many people stick by a defective product in such a way.

A manufacturer should be held responsible when their product has problems, however minor they appear to you. Otherwise the consumer continues to lose.

Heck, I still want an Apple, but I'm going to return the next one I get if there are any issues as well, just like I would do with any other product I buy that has defects.
I have to agree with you. For such an expensive computer it should be PERFECT. If I dropped 2-$3000 on a computer that had any kind of physical or functional defect I'd be even more upset than if I spent 1-$1500-you just kind of expect to get what you pay for. The drop in quality over the past year has been noticable, their pumping out computers and ipods as quick as they can and sadly, sometimes quality suffers. I just couldn't afford to make such a purchase and be less than thrilled with it. Granted, a lot of complaints are silly, a lot are user-induced, etc.
As for the OP's question...I tell my windows friends everything. Whether it makes them happy or not doesn't matter to me at all. I speak the truth and would hope my friends would do the same for me. I wouldn't exclude info to influence a buddies next computer purchase. They like Windows? Let 'em stick to what they like. They want to migrate to OS X ? Cool. I can take their silly little "you can't do THIS on a Mac" comments.

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
I don't tell my Windows friends....

That my wonderful eMac has had 2 kernel panics and frozen up 3 times. This would come as a complete shock to them and then they would start to laugh at me and say that Macs suck.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
I think what I get tired of the most is dealing with all the work around to make the Mac environment function in the predominantly Windows environment here at work. For some things, the brainlessness of Windows just makes things easier.

Other than that..

being the ONLY source for Apple work here is both frustrating (no one to bounce ideas off of for some of the more difficult, undocumented stuff like Apple & Active Directory) and rewarding (job security, baby!).

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
What I don't tell them:

1) OSX does take a while longer to boot up (I tell them I can wake up instantly!)
2) Apple hardware is quite expensive
3) Apple hardware isn't that good quality
4) As Apple has a monopoly on their hardware I'm stuck paying rip off prices for their shoddy hardware.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Well...while Apple has had some problems with select pieces of hardware, I still wouldn't use a blanket statement like "Apple hardware isn't that good quality." There are plenty of other non-Apple computers/accessories that have their fair share of problems!

generik said:
What I don't tell them:

1) OSX does take a while longer to boot up (I tell them I can wake up instantly!)
2) Apple hardware is quite expensive
4) As Apple has a monopoly on their hardware I'm stuck paying rip off prices for their shoddy hardware.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
generik said:

Please don't let your bad experiences with the PowerBook tarnish your opinion of Apple. I agree that the latest PowerBook troubles are not good enough but there are many Apple products that are very well made and quite reliable, such as the iBook. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.