Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dunepilot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2002
UK
Periodically I remember about the swedish start-up Xtrem that claimed to offer a seriously overclocked G4, but came to nothing.

I can't find any details of what eventually happened to the company, and the site no longer exists at http://www.extrem.com.

I wonder what they're doing now........

Probably the same as the rest of us, hanging on what might come out at Tokyo!:)

Xapplimatic

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2001
California
I remember it.. it looked pretty cool, but then, maybe it was a fake, OR maybe their only Mac for using the internet has finally fried!

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
didn't they come out with a set of jumpers for overclocking G4's or something like that. I remember something abuot that. You basically overpaid for readily available jumpers, etc and they gave you detailed instructions. That was the last I heard of them, and that was months ago.

Dunepilot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2002
UK
Here's what the xtrem mac was going to look like

This page (mostly not in english) shows the various 3d renderings Xtrem had made of what their new mac was going to look like

http://203.151.217.14/hardwares/xtrem_mac/xtrem_mac.html

With regard to the jumper idea, I think it was only supposed to overclock later G3s and possibly early G4s, but looked like good idea.

Everyone said it was vapourware at the time - what I'm interested in is where those vapours went.....

Ideas?:confused:

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
Where do vapors usually go? Into thin air like removing an unwanted icon form the dock :)

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Exponential?

When I first saw this post, I was thinking Exponential!

Do you all remember Exponential? They were supposedly developing processor technologies to create super-fast (~ 500 - 600Mhz) PPCs back when the fastest around was a 300Mhz 603.

Apparently, it didn't work out as well as they were claiming. Apple pulled out as a backer of the project later on.

As I recall, the prototypes ran *real hot*.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.