Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sabenth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 24, 2003
UK
Ok what do you get in an apple box.....

Speaking from a prespective of never bought an apple machine before I was curious what you got with the following....

I MACS New models with 17inch
Power Mac G4S
Power books new models

What comes with them and what do you think that should come with them that dosnt come with them....

And is it true that macs have inbulit mic .... For voice operating commands if so it dosnt act like MS DOSE IT with there spaking sam voice and i dont understand your dilect..... ill say dogs can boo them selfss.

Well thats an exsperiance that i had..

Thanks IN ADVANCE

springscansing

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2002
New York
I'm.. not sure about half of the stuff you said.. but..

No, not all macs have built-in mics. The powermacs don't.

It says you're from Austria dude. Is English your native language?

Sabenth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 24, 2003
UK
I am really from the UK and if my spelling is screwd up its because i have Dislexia ... So bare with the Crap spelling and stuff it aint a easy typing big words lol..

Any hows thanks for the reply Spring

Gus

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
Minnesota
I haven't had a PowerMac in a while (over a year), and my last Powerbook was a 2000 model. The Powerbooks ususally come with monitor adapters (VGA), a modem cable, the battery and the power supply. You also get all of the software restore disks, and I think you might still get a harware test disk. PowerMacs have the tower, mouse, keyboard, they USED to come with a FireWire cable too.

As to software, well, my biggedt complaint was this: The iBook and the iMac come with AppleWorks installed as part of the package, but the Pro machines have nothing for a word processor. What the hell is that all about? If I'm shelling out twice as much for a pro machine, I expect to get everything I get in a consumer machine and more.

Of course, it doesn't affect me anymore, because I bought an iBook. :)

Regards,
Gus

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
Pmacs come with the following:

Pmac (duh!)
DVI -> VGA
Kbd + Mse
Apple Disc Pack (SW-restore + OSX)
1x Verbatim 16x CD-R
1x Apple DVD-R (only w/SD mac)
1x USB Extension Cable
1x Speaker Grille
Modem Cable with appropriate adapters
'Manuals' + Apple Marketing Printed Works
A few pieces of very nice waxed foam

Emac comes with the following:

Emac (duh!)
Kbd + Mse
Apple Disc Pack (SW-restore + OSX)
1x Verbatim 16x CD-R
1x Apple DVD-R (only w/SD mac)
2x Speaker Grille
Modem Cable with appropriate adapters
'Manuals' + Apple Marketing Printed Works
A few pieces of very nice waxed foam

FredAkbar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2003
San Francisco, CA
I just got a 17" iMac with a SuperDrive, and it came with:

Mac OS X 10.2.3
iLife
AppleWorks 6
Deimos Rising (that's a game)
a Developer Tools installer
FAXstf X
Microsoft Office X Test Drive (a 30-day trial)
Otto Matic
Quicken 2003
Sound Studio
World Book 2003

All of this software was installed on the computer when it came, and it's also on the iMac restore CD that you get. There's also a separate World Book CD, and maybe a couple other separate CDs that I forgot about. And yes, there is a small built-in microphone near the bottom-left corner of the monitor.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Originally posted by springscansing

wow, that was really helpful, and polite too! well, now i know where you are when you're not making enemies over at the Propellerheads board. Sabenth, please ignore this guy. he is a rod. to try and answer your question, the powermacs come with the tower, a small manual and apple care ad, power cable, keyboard, mouse, system disks, sometimes a telephone cord, and three apple stickers. powerbooks come with svideo cable, telephone cord, manuals, power supply, disks and stickers. imacs come with the machine, keyboard, mouse, speakers, mamuals, telephone cord. try searching on google. there are a bunch of sites that have pictures of new machines being opened.

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
Originally posted by springscansing

why is it in our nature to break people down
instead of build them up?

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
here's what i found at http://www.apple.com

15" imac
$1,299.00

15-inch LCD flat screen
800MHz PowerPC G4
NVIDIA GeForce2 MX
32MB DDR video memory
256MB SDRAM
60GB Ultra ATA hard drive
10/100BASE-T Ethernet
56K V.92 internal modem
Apple Pro Speakers
AirPort Ready
Bluetooth Optional

this comes with

Mac OS X
All new iMacs now ship with Mac OS X v 10.2 Jaguar.

Built-in apps
These include QuickTime, iCal, iChat, iSync, DVD Player, AppleWorks and Mac OS X Mail.

Software collection
With the new iMac and Mac OS X you get top-of-the-line software that includes Quicken 2003 Deluxe, World Book 2003 Edition, Mac OS X Chess, Otto Matic, Deimos Rising and Sound Studio.

iPhoto
Download, save, organize, share and enjoy your digital photos.
iMovie
Making digital movies is just as easy and fun as using your iMac.
iTunes
The world?s best jukebox featuring iPod auto-sync, 10-band equalizer and MP3 CD-burning.

you also get iDVD if you get the superdrive
equipped model.

get the powermac if you want something that
will last more than three years. the laptops and
imacs will leave you wanting more after two
years. oh, and since the imac or laptops cant
have their video cards updated....you might
to get a powermac, but i guess that only comes
into play if you like games....im sure the current
video cards are plenty for quartz extreme.

if you tell us what you'll be using your computer
for and how long you plan on keeping it for we
might be able to give you a better answer.

Sabenth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 24, 2003
UK
Wow more info than a cow could chew on ... Thanks guys for the feed back to the guy who states i am in australia duhh! i am in oz but I am uk born and bread and i dont intend on steping on anyones toes so escuse my tone ..

As for everyone else thanks so much for the feed back and heres the answer to what i intend on doing with what ever i buy

I run a light company that sells special designed lights for shops I make Small but informative info packs for the lights to be given to clients so they can work out what there after etc I do a fair bit of our websits development down at the moment due to a windows system getting a virus and wiping out key files....

I also have a 18 month old daughter who takes up my spare time with photo shoots and soon to be video shoots.. I also produce my own music asa hobbie would love to get signed but that means chaning jobs ........... I also work on restoring family photos and friends photos with photoshop 7 Best god dam program i ever bought for the pc when it works.. pc that is ...

I also like playing games but a pc can be used for this dont want to fill the mac up with usless programs that i wont use

I know that the i life pack will defently be used as my partner loves taking photos and music hmm the sweet sounds of the bass ..

Feel free to ask any more questions regarding what i am going to be doing because the mac seems to deffently cope a lot better than my current system

As for the mic question I was curious as most mics i have had thats normal computer mics dont seem to like to work ...

Oh one more question How easy is it to update Macs OS ie osx and whats your opinions on OSX IN GENRAL is it all its cracked up to be I SAY THIS FOLLOWING THE GREAT UPDATE OF WINDOWS 98 TO WINDOWS XP HOME...... eeeee gaaaaaadddddd REBOOT REBOOT REBOOT.............. Please dont say that its the same case for macs please..

well sorry this is longer than i planed but thanks guys i look foward to buying my first mac ever ...

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
ok:

new macs have only OS X 10.2
you can still get OS9 macs (only if needed)

to update say from 10.1 -> 10.2 or 10.2 -> 10.2.1 you just do as the installer asks and then at the end there is normally a reboot. thats right, one single reboot - no more, no less - one reboot.

also you dont have to worry about drivers as apple supplies most of them anyway.

good luck

FredAkbar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Originally posted by benixau
to update say from 10.1 -> 10.2 or 10.2 -> 10.2.1 you just do as the installer asks and then at the end there is normally a reboot. thats right, one single reboot - no more, no less - one reboot.

Well, to go from 10.1 to 10.2, there would actually be 2 reboots, right? (First the initial reboot to start up from the CD, then the reboot at the end of installation)...sorry if I'm being picky but I just wanted to clarify that. But all of the minor OS updates, like benixau said, are just one reboot total.

And about the microphones...the built-in mic in my old Blueberry iMac didn't seem to work very well, but this one in my new flat-panel iMac works great. It's very sound-receptive. I was playing with Sound Studio one day (that's one of the programs that comes with the new iMac), and it was pretty easy to make sound clips. And I can do other speech-related stuff without shouting. Basically, I really like the new mics on the iMacs.

--Fred

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
well, it sounds like any of the mac line would
work well for you. i would get the ibook only
if you want portability....ibooks only have g3's,
so if you want some extra power get the imac.
it doesnt sound like you need a power mac but
if you DO decide you want to play games and
that option becomes important to you, i would
get the power mac. i think from what i read,
an i mac would me nice. its not very upgradable,
but it will be plenty fast and allow your family
to enjoy nice lucious screen space...were as on
the ibook, you guys will be huddleing together
just to look at a picture on your monitor.
honestly, anything you choose will make you
happy. apples current hardware is fine for your
tasks......although you might need the power
of the g4 when it comes to your music. i dont
know how many plugins your gonna be running
on all those tracks your gonna be recording.
hmmmm, i still say the powermac. i dont
know. the only thing that would concern me in
your purchase decision would be your music.
if its going to be for song writing and demos,
and the occassional full production, then i'd say
you can do that on all of your computer options.
but if you want to be sailing along pushing your
music around as fast as possiblie with a LOT of
fully produced of tracks, then i would say the
powermac.

about osx :D its rock solid :D. you'll love it.

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
i alsways recommend macs this way:

DP powermac
powermac
imac (especially now w/DDR)
emac
-and never an imac classic. if they cant afford the others than they should save a little more. a classic for anything above itunes + other app is going to be way too slow.

before you say duh! i muuust add. i say this even if it means downgrading your mac (i.e. no sd) to get the upper model. why? processor and bus speed are worth more in the long run that DVD-R. and there is always Fwire 400/800 ext. DVD burners.

the portable line is pretty obvious. the only this is - you must be careful, only powermacs can be upgraded and it has been that way for sometime.

the others can be upgraded but it takes 1mil more screws and warranty voiding.

also only the powermacs can have their processors upgraded.

good luck

Sabenth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 24, 2003
UK
Well guys your helping me out in more ways than you can imagine I re thought 3 times what i want to buy do i go moible for work reasons do i stick with the idea of the new i mac just for the space saving option or do i go out for a Power mac because of my idea of re upgrading areas of the computer .

I honestly dont know what to really go for as for the family side of things well its coming down to how we use the system and i am the one that hogs the system all the time been brought up with computers from the age of 5 and havent stoped since so my partner gets a bit grumpy at me for it .... So she gets the pc lol.

Audio hmm I use around 12 tracks and try to avoid to many plugins because of my pcs lack of robustness to handel any hard work ...

So iam still at square one what to buy I love the designs of all macs especialy since I went to my local apple store and yes they helped me a little bit i think i need to go back and have another play with that powerbook ha ha ...

There is one thing that has my attention and thats the airport extreame networking ive posted a post on this subject but i have to ask here have any of you got a wireless network working with a windows system I know most mac users dont go near windows if they can help it but because i still need the pc to use some of my programs till i buy them for the mac when i guy the mac as well... Even though i dont own a system yet i really cant wait i really want to get rid of this tin box lol

well thanks guys for the help so far

Sabenth

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
ok - if you go mobile you have no choice: powerbook.

if you go desktop: go pmac - you wont regret it

as to AP-X/AP it should be compatible. when you try to connect the problem will most likely lie with the pc rather than the mac.

Ummm, if you need pc programs VPC exists but it is slower than a snail --unless-- you have 2GB of RAM in a DP1.42 w/4x120GB SATA - i.e. not this year.

really, i have a pc and i think alot of mac users have at least one windows pc for games/pc only apps (ms access)

remember a pb 12" is a little more expensive than a 12" ibook once you theoretically spec up everyting but the proc. then you have to consider built-in BT, SD slot load capable, G4, DDR RAM, better video (quartz-X = faster GUI)

good luck

Sabenth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 24, 2003
UK
Thanks all so much for the feedback on this subject guys I think at the moment its a toss up between the laptop and the i mac a power mac is just to much for me and i dont update that much as it is because theres no reall need to So here gose heads Power book Or Tails its the I mac

Spinz the coin

TUNE IN NEXT WEEK TO FIND OUT WHAT SABENTHS DECISION IS ........:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.