Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AJ.G

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
Beijing.
Alright, so long story short, im saving up for a new macbook air (buy all my products myself- student) and, in order to help, i am selling my iPod Touch to a friend. Its a fourth gen, and ive always had a case and screen protector, and i never took it off until this morning. and very weirdly, as well as annoyingly, i found minor scratches (whatever), and some really weird little smudges. they are like if the chrome on the back has been smudged or scratched, and i have no idea where they came from.

Ive always had a silicon case on my ipod, and was just wondering if aanybody had the same, or if they knew how they got there. also in another thread i recently read a poster mention that if you take your ipod touch, i think they said, to a jewelry shop, they can fix it up? anybody have any insight or ideas how this could be? i live in china so it wont quite be a jeweller shop, and im just asking this out of interest.

thank you in advance,

AJ--

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Its probably just small scratches. It happens to all iPod Touches. No matter what people say or do, their iPod Touch will get scratched up on the back. As for getting the scratches out, don't waste your money. They'll just come back.

NathanA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
In my experience, silicone cases do not actually prevent scratches. If anything, under certain conditions, they can be even more numerous with such a case. Lint, dust, and other dirt can work its way inside the case and then nest in between the inside of the case and the outside of your device (iPod, cell phone, whatever), where it continually rubs against the iPod during normal daily use and transport.

A case like that might help to protect it some from impact in the event of an accidental drop, but I don't find them to be effective protection against scratches. For that, I prefer to use a wet-application body shield, like the ones made by Zagg, BestSkinsEver, or BodyGuardz.

upinflames900

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2009
Interesting idea about having it essentially polished... don't know it is worth it though. Definitely happens to every ipod touch... case or not

AJ.G

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
Beijing.
hmmm i see.
but they arent actual scratches. what im talkng about is like litle spots on the back where instead of the metal being shiny and reflective, its all dull. i really suck at explaining:p what i mean is its like if the metal had been filed down to take away the shine. its not a scratch, really looks like a smudge...

am i the only one with this?
and about the protective skins, i really wanted to get those,
but since the ipod touch here in china is way overpriced, i got mine in the states, and forgot to get those skin things...

anywayz...

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
As I have said before, they are scratches. Many, many small scratches. The dust caught in the case has given some spots a "brushed" look. Almost every other iPod Touch has similar amounts of this "brushing" caused by cases.

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
The chrome is so vulnerable to scratches, the cases themselves can cause them. Just find a microfiber cloth or one of those extra soft fuzzy blankets and give it a good buffing, and that's about as good as it will get.

upinflames900

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2009
hmmm i see.
but they arent actual scratches. what im talkng about is like litle spots on the back where instead of the metal being shiny and reflective, its all dull. i really suck at explaining:p what i mean is its like if the metal had been filed down to take away the shine. its not a scratch, really looks like a smudge...

but since the ipod touch here in china is way overpriced, i got mine in the states, and forgot to get those skin things...

anywayz...

Can you post a picture?

SuperMacMan

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
I know exactly what the OP means. Both my 1st & 2nd gen iPod touches have exactly the same symptom, unfortunately. I have a zagg invisibleshield on my new 4th gen (the invisible shield is AWFUL, btw!!) so it hasn't occurred there.

Basically what happens it that the silicone takes the "shiny" out of the gadget, particularly where you typically hold the device. I'm yet to come across a proper solution, but placing the iPod touch screen-down on a grippy, clean microfibre cloth then using a 2nd clean microfibre cloth and lots of elbow grease (but not too much) seems to bring it up a bit better.
Doing this repeatedly over a few days improves the look of the iPod touch a lot.

Good luck!!

supermac96

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2010
somewhere over the rainbow
hmmm i see.

anywayz...

post a picture???

pepi

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2010
I found these on the back of mine yesterday. I'm devastated :( I even stayed home from work because my eyes are still swelled from crying ;)

silverwings0825

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2013
Me too!

hey guys i post a picture of my ipod. looks like this. can i still remove this? tried our house cleaning agents but nothing worked. tried toothpaste as well.:(

Attachments

• IMG_2273.JPG
    IMG_2273.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 153

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
hey guys i post a picture of my ipod. looks like this. can i still remove this? tried our house cleaning agents but nothing worked. tried toothpaste as well.:(

Probably made it worse by using toothpaste. Toothpaste is not smooth.
Car polish would have been a better bet. They are swirl marks, just like what every car gets overtime. I would try something like scratch doctor.

JaimeC

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2013
What is on the back of my iPod touch

Alright, so long story short, im saving up for a new macbook air (buy all my products myself- student) and, in order to help, i am selling my iPod Touch to a friend. Its a fourth gen, and ive always had a case and screen protector, and i never took it off until this morning. and very weirdly, as well as annoyingly, i found minor scratches (whatever), and some really weird little smudges. they are like if the chrome on the back has been smudged or scratched, and i have no idea where they came from.

Ive always had a silicon case on my ipod, and was just wondering if aanybody had the same, or if they knew how they got there. also in another thread i recently read a poster mention that if you take your ipod touch, i think they said, to a jewelry shop, they can fix it up? anybody have any insight or ideas how this could be? i live in china so it wont quite be a jeweller shop, and im just asking this out of interest.

thank you in advance,

AJ--

I have the same problem with my iPod touch. What I did is clean it with Brasso Metal Polish an it came out like new. It didn't have scratches but smudges even so I always protected it with a cover case.
Brasso is very cheap and they sale it at any hardware store, I always buy mine at amazon.com.

I hope dis will help you. If it does let me know throughout this forum.

Last edited by a moderator:

defunct32

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2013
I have the same problem with my iPod touch. What I did is clean it with Brasso Metal Polish an it came out like new. It didn't have scratches but smudges even so I always protected it with a cover case.
Brasso is very cheap and they sale it at any hardware store, I always buy mine at amazon.com.

I hope dis will help you. If it does let me know throughout this forum.

Think the person has moved on since this is from 2 years ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.