Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Call it downtime with the children, and reliving my childhood at the same time, but due to the holidays, I've been watching a lot of Transformers: Rescue Bots. It has a bit of everything in the Transformers universe: it is an arc off of the movie (read: modern characters; Bumblebee is the Corvette when he cameos, not the VW bug, modern variant of Optimus Prime), but has tons of 80s references.

There is an episode that involves ghosts, and Dr. Greene, the scientist of Griffin Rock (played by LeVar Burton, sounding more like how he played Kwame on Captain Planet), has a device used to capture them.. that seriously looks like the device used in Ghostbusters.. Dr. Greene calls Chief Burns on the comm, Chief Burns responds with "What's Up, Doc?".. When Dr. Greene finds out they (the Rescue Bots) are sentient, he quips, "You mean that there's more to these robots than meets the eye?"..

Subtle 80s hints that we as parents would get and laugh at, that kids would think is new, fresh, and cool. It is almost like how Animaniacs was with its throwbacks to yesteryear, but with more adventure and less slapstick.

Anyway, it actually is a very good show (looking at it at face value, I thought it was going to be terrible; it's actually really good!). Oh.. as far as major 80s unknown throwback, the musical score is done by Starr Parodi, who was the keyboardist for the original run of the Arsenio Hall Show.

BL.

vulcanvillalta

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2014
During my three day christmas break from work, I watched amazon's Mozart in the Jungle.

Not a bad little series. I had fun watching it, but probably wouldn't return for a season 2. It's free on with Prime, and was a nice little way to pass some time

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Yesterday, local PBS ran a 3 hour documentary about superheroes called Superheroes the Never Ending Battle. Makes me realize how much I would like to have some of Jim Steranko's work in my scant collection again. I knew most of what the documentary was talking about (once it hit the 1960s anyway), but it was still fun to watch.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I'm probably the only male here that loves this show but.

Downton Abbey Season 5 starts tonight.

Perhaps.

However, (as a female who enjoys the show) I truly hope that you enjoy it. For once, I managed to catch most of the episodes this year, for the first time since the first season was broadcast.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
I just watched this series called Black Mirror that was kind of interesting

Fantasy, magic?

I'm not good with genres. It is on Netflix. It's kind of a commentary on society, but it's not a documentary or anything.

Its an anthology series that focuses on tech and social media. Some, like the first episode, take place "now", using tech and media that we all use today. Most of the others take place sometime in the future, with the tech being stuff we can only dream of right now (nothing crazy, like space ships and transporters, but still ahead of our time). The tech crosses over in a few episodes but the cast, characters and stories do not. Some people call it a tech twilight zone. The episodes are hit and miss with that first episode being wacky great and the recent Christmas episode with Jon Hamm being excellent.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains

Perhaps.

However, (as a female who enjoys the show) I truly hope that you enjoy it. For once, I managed to catch most of the episodes this year, for the first time since the first season was broadcast.

The New York Times has an interactive piece up now with links to actual NYT articles from the timelines of the Downton Abbey series, season by season. Downton Abbey and history from pages of NYT

For instance, they put up links to the sinking of the Titanic (which is the event on which Season 1 began). The signing of the armistice after WWI in 1918. Announcement in 1920 that the flu had killed 10 million people in the previous year. The burning of five mansions in Ireland in 1923 as the War of Independence escalated. On and on.

Of course all these free looks at "the Times Machine" are an enticement to subscribe and so gain access to 129 years of the archives... Nonetheless the selected bits are presented free, and it's fun to trek through the piece and read the real deal behind the references from Downton Abbey season by season. Paper of record indeed, and long may the NYT survive.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I do very much.

I am Robert Crawley, Earl of Grantham.

:p

One of the things I love about Robert Crawley, Earl of Grantham, is that you just know how absolutely clueless he is about matters economic; whenever he has had an investment opportunity - the sort of 'sure-fire' guaranteed 'get-rich' schemes, you just know it will turn out to be an absolute disaster.

However, the character is great, - redeemed considerably by the warmth and affection he displays towards his family - and - needless to say, I simply love the show.

The New York Times has an interactive piece up now with links to actual NYT articles from the timelines of the Downton Abbey series, season by season. Downton Abbey and history from pages of NYT

For instance, they put up links to the sinking of the Titanic (which is the event on which Season 1 began). The signing of the armistice after WWI in 1918. Announcement in 1920 that the flu had killed 10 million people in the previous year. The burning of five mansions in Ireland in 1923 as the War of Independence escalated. On and on.

Of course all these free looks at "the Times Machine" are an enticement to subscribe and so gain access to 129 years of the archives... Nonetheless the selected bits are presented free, and it's fun to trek through the piece and read the real deal behind the references from Downton Abbey season by season. Paper of record indeed, and long may the NYT survive.

Great idea, and a fascinating way of integrating the history (and encouraging people to understand it) with the viewing experience.

I like it and I'm a male.

You taste is impeccable, sir. What else can I say?

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

And it was wonderful as usual! :)

Its an anthology series that focuses on tech and social media. Some, like the first episode, take place "now", using tech and media that we all use today. Most of the others take place sometime in the future, with the tech being stuff we can only dream of right now (nothing crazy, like space ships and transporters, but still ahead of our time). The tech crosses over in a few episodes but the cast, characters and stories do not. Some people call it a tech twilight zone. The episodes are hit and miss with that first episode being wacky great and the recent Christmas episode with Jon Hamm being excellent.

Interesting. I'll have to check it out. :)

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Just watching some Star Trek: The Next Generation episodes on BBC America.

Roddenberry was a bloody genius with that show.

I don't know if people have actually checked, but you should see some parallels of issues they go over in that series that have taken place today.

Prime example: The 2nd episode in Season 4 (should be after The Best of Both Worlds, Pt. 2; I think it's called Family), where Picard is on Earth and visits his brother... and is dealing with PTSD from being a POW. Sounds like those coming home from fighting in Afghanistan/Iraq.

Another: in The Drumhead, they are dealing with someone who sees nothing but conspiracy theories that people are betraying Starfleet/the Federation, and that people are being duped by it.. sounds a lot like some fanaticism that goes on politically in the US and around the world.

Just a lot of things like that throughout the series that were made 20 to 25 years ago, that are still relevant today.

Besides.. that Ressikan flute From The Inner Light sold for $40,000 at auction (fees brought it up to $48K).

BL.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Just watching some Star Trek: The Next Generation episodes on BBC America.

I don't know if people have actually checked, but you should see some parallels of issues they go over in that series that have taken place today.

Prime example: The 2nd episode in Season 4 (should be after The Best of Both Worlds, Pt. 2; I think it's called Family), where Picard is on Earth and visits his brother... and is dealing with PTSD from being a POW. Sounds like those coming home from fighting in Afghanistan/Iraq.

Another: in The Drumhead, they are dealing with someone who sees nothing but conspiracy theories that people are betraying Starfleet/the Federation, and that people are being duped by it.. sounds a lot like some fanaticism that goes on politically in the US and around the world.

Just a lot of things like that throughout the series that were made 20 to 25 years ago, that are still relevant today.

Besides.. that Ressikan flute From The Inner Light sold for $40,000 at auction (fees brought it up to $48K).

BL.

Agreed. STNG is one of my favourite shows of all time, great ensemble cast, terrific characters, and some epic stories which were treated thoughtfully and intelligently, and which didn't patronise the audience.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Agreed. STNG is one of my favourite shows of all time, great ensemble cast, terrific characters, and some epic stories which were treated thoughtfully and intelligently, and which didn't patronise the audience.

Most amazing is that 45 minutes of STNG features a satisfying intriquing main and often a secondary plot.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

BL.

I forgot to comment on the episodes you referred to. Most were excellent and some - especially 'The Inner Light' - were outstanding. Delighted to see that the Ressikan flute did so well at auction; that was a powerful and moving episode, beautifully told, and utterly credible. Patrick Stewart was - predictably - outstanding in it.

And I agree with you re the three episodes about the Borg, the third dealing with Picard's post conflict stress and trauma, and the enduring strains of some unresolved family conflicts, too. Very powerful.

Most amazing is that 45 minutes of STNG features a satisfying intriquing main and often a secondary plot.

Agreed. I also think that some - actually most - of the two-part episodes were excellent in themselves; indeed, I think most of the two-part episodes beat most of the movies - hands-down - for plot, character development, subtlety, depth, range and sheer narrative chutpaz.

by the way, delighted to see that you are enjoying Downton Abbey.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
I'm a male and I think its a great show, one of my favorites, can't seem to get enough of Violet, Dowager Countess of Grantham. She always has me in stitches

Downton Abbey? Great show. Reminds me of a 1910s/1920s British Aristocratic version of Dynasty. That, and Call the Midwife. It doesn't help that my wife is looking into becoming a doula.

However, I still keep itching for Violet Crawley to pop someone upside the head with an Expeliarmus. :p

BL.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.