Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
I tried an interesting experiment with Audacity this afternoon, since it has the ability to transpose audio up and down. In the options for the tool, you get a starting key and resulting key, as well as an octave number. So I tried four things:
  1. Transposing using the actual key of the song (G) and going up a semitone (half-step) to G sharp/A flat. I left the octave number at the default setting of 8.
  2. But not everyone knows what key a song is in, so I left it at the default settings all the way - I can't remember what the default key was, but it wasn't G—I think it was either B or D. I still went up one semitone from whatever the default was.
  3. #1 but set the octave number MUCH lower, to 2.
  4. #2 but set the octave number to 2.
The difference between 1 and 2 was actually noticeable (to me at least), while the difference between 1 and 3 and 2 and 4 was not. 1 sounded a little bit cleaner than 2. I'm not completely confident in my findings though, as the "cleanliness" (#1) could simply be an auditory illusion, because my brain knows the starting key was set to the actual key of the song.

I'll have to try with another track, and with other reference keys - and wider intervals - because that'd make a bigger difference with the resulting audio quality. All four used "High Quality Pitch Change." Interesting though! If anyone wants the file I used to hear for themselves, DM me and I can give it to you.

EDIT: If all of this is indeed an auditory trick, how come there's a setting for the key in the tool?

EDIT #2: THIS IS GETTING SO CONFUSING AS I KEEP THINKING ABOUT IT, OMG!!

Last edited:

VisceralRealist

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2023
Long Beach, California
The weather has been fantastic this week, and I have so much to get done by the end of the month...so of course this is when I get sick. Not a great year for me so far, health-wise. COVID in January and now a severe sore throat (likely just the first stage of a cold, but still). There's something about having a cold when the weather is warm and perfect that is particularly depressing. :(

• Sad
Reactions: rm5

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
The weather has been fantastic this week, and I have so much to get done by the end of the month...so of course this is when I get sick. Not a great year for me so far, health-wise. COVID in January and now a severe sore throat (likely just the first stage of a cold, but still). There's something about having a cold when the weather is warm and perfect that is particularly depressing. :(
I'm really sorry man, that sucks. I don't wanna tell you what to do, but if I were you, I'd test for COVID regardless, you don't want to accidentally give it to someone—well you don't want to give anything to someone, but you get my point. COVID ended up sending me to the hospital, it was really bad... that's why I say you should get tested.

I remember I had a similar experience as you last year (in terms of getting sick so many times). Not only did I also catch a cold when the weather had just started to warm up, but it was also the day of a livestreamed performance, which I'd rehearsed months for, and couldn't do. I get how you feel.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: VisceralRealist

C0ncreteBl0nde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2023
Rural America
Today my youngest daughter gave birth to my third grandchild. A girl, Isla Judith. She is absolutely gorgeous and I'm so relieved it's over and I have a beautiful, healthy new granddaughter. This is DEFINITELY what's "on my mind."

love - 1.jpeg
❤️❤️

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
Okay, I really must have issues if I just spelled an A major scale like this:
1713328678595.png

Wanted to quickly write down the scales to play over a song, and this came out for whatever reason—not the right notes! Glad I noticed this mistake before sending a picture of the whole page to the person who asked me to write them! Goodness gracious!

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
My brother in-law (63 yrs old), who I’ve known since 1989 , he married my sister 1992, and done so much with, has been in hospital since Sunday 4/7.
Initially had pain 5am, went in at 7am, they diagnosed him as tear in small intestines, needed surgery. Removed lots of it, fortunately not need a bag.

However, his recovery became complicated.. he’s a “recent” alcoholic, always like to drink but after retiring 2 years ago seems he increased it .. he’s been intubated since Tuesday 4/9, 8 days now. He went severe cold turkey withdrawal in the hospital. Still on intubation.

My sister just told me about him being an alcoholic yesterday, I listened to her .. a long long road ahead of them, with support needed.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
My brother in-law (63 yrs old), who I’ve known since 1989 , he married my sister 1992, and done so much with, has been in hospital since Sunday 4/7.
Initially had pain 5am, went in at 7am, they diagnosed him as tear in small intestines, needed surgery. Removed lots of it, fortunately not need a bag.

However, his recovery became complicated.. he’s a “recent” alcoholic, always like to drink but after retiring 2 years ago seems he increased it .. he’s been intubated since Tuesday 4/9, 8 days now. He went severe cold turkey withdrawal in the hospital. Still on intubation.

My sister just told me about him being an alcoholic yesterday, I listened to her .. a long long road ahead of them, with support needed.
Sorry to hear that. Good luck with it all.

Reactions: mtbdudex

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
Y'all need to listen to (or play or sing) some Bach chorales! I was just working on some in my lesson today, it's honestly the best stuff I've ever listened to. I'm still not perfect at singing all the different voices, but I'm getting better at it. Ideally, I'd be able to sing the melody, bass line, and inner voices after listening to the chosen piece a lot. I'm certainly getting there though!

People of my generation especially seem to not appreciate this stuff as much as they should. They say, "Oh, it's boring, I hate classical music." WHAT?!?! How can you?! What is there not to love about it, especially singing the different parts/voices? All you need to do is listen to the piece a bunch, then you'll be able to sing it. Anyone can do this, and I know because I've forced several of my family members to.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Y'all need to listen to (or play or sing) some Bach chorales! I was just working on some in my lesson today, it's honestly the best stuff I've ever listened to. I'm still not perfect at singing all the different voices, but I'm getting better at it. Ideally, I'd be able to sing the melody, bass line, and inner voices after listening to the chosen piece a lot. I'm certainly getting there though!

People of my generation especially seem to not appreciate this stuff as much as they should. They say, "Oh, it's boring, I hate classical music." WHAT?!?! How can you?! What is there not to love about it, especially singing the different parts/voices? All you need to do is listen to the piece a bunch, then you'll be able to sing it. Anyone can do this, and I know because I've forced several of my family members to.
The thing about music is people all have different tastes. I do t mind some classical, but I have to be in the mood for it.
Personally I can always find time to listen to Queen!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Actually, I love Bach (and Baroque music).

However, the thing is, unless you have had the opportunity to become aware of this music - and, in the west, unfortunately, that tends to the preserve of a middle class cultural background along with some sort of state support for the sort of orchestras that play this music, and the radio stations that might broadcast it - you may never come to know it, or learn about it, or appreciate it.

Thus, - to my mind - it is not solely generational, but also a matter of opportunity (and possibly, luck); if you don't ever get to hear this music, - played live, in a concert, or on radio - (because you will not have it on CD, or other media unless you already know that you like it) if you haven't had an opportunity to learn to play the sort of musical instruments that perform this music, if you haven't been encouraged to listen to a wide variety of music, or supported if you have an interest in, or aptitude for, music, then, - most unfortunately - it is unlikely that you will acquire an appreciation for, develop a taste or preference for, this superb body of work.

The thing about music is people all have different tastes. I do t mind some classical, but I have to be in the mood for it.
Personally I can always find time to listen to Queen!
You can never go wrong with Queen.

Timeless.

Brilliant.

Unforgettable.

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
Thus, - to my mind - it is not solely generational, but also a matter of opportunity (and possibly, luck); if you don't ever get to hear this music, - played live, in a concert, or on radio - (because you will not have it on CD, or other media unless you already know that you like it) if you haven't had an opportunity to learn to play the sort of musical instruments that perform this music, if you haven't been encouraged to listen to a wide variety of music, or supported if you have an interest in, or aptitude for, music, then, - most unfortunately - it is unlikely that you will acquire an appreciation for, develop a taste or preference for, this superb body of work.
Right! I will admit, the only reason I know any of this is from studying at a conservatory - which was my choice (an excellent one). So I'm getting exposed to stuff I never would have otherwise, which I love. It's such a great environment.

It's both opportunity AND luck IMO.

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
That's the other thing... I feel like a lot of people - not here at conservatory necessarily - but others that I've worked with - tend to be very good electronic music producers and composers. They know how to throw loops together, use MIDI chord packs, etc. and they're very good at it. That's awesome, and I honestly wish I were better at that - but they're missing a critical component, as the work is sort of being done for them (by throwing together loops that are pre-arranged to sound good). Most of these electronic producers I've worked with have NO music theory or instrumental knowledge at all - that's the critical component that's missing. So sure, they know how to throw loops together... and don't get me wrong, that's really great. But they don't know what they're actually doing musically, they just know how to make their pre-arranged loops sound good together.

The downside to this is that it makes it very hard for me, an instrumentalist with extensive instrumental and theory background to help them. They'll ask me for suggestions, and I honestly cannot help them, because they will not understand me.

I think as an instrumentalist, music theory is extremely important to learn - so is actually playing an instrument. If you can put your electronic chord progressions on the piano and mess around with them there, you'll be able to do way more than your loops and chord packs can. Just my opinion.

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
I’ve had fibre internet fitted this week, gigabit speeds. But I’m struggling to fix an issue with my new TP Link Deco losing IPv6 after 30 minutes, if I reboot it and it gets IPV6 working. Just what’s on my mind at the moment, driving me a bit nuts.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Right! I will admit, the only reason I know any of this is from studying at a conservatory - which was my choice (an excellent one). So I'm getting exposed to stuff I never would have otherwise, which I love. It's such a great environment.

It's both opportunity AND luck IMO.
You should try "Switched On Bach" by Wendy Carlos using a Moog Synthesizer in the late 1960s.

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
People of my generation especially seem to not appreciate this stuff as much as they should. They say, "Oh, it's boring, I hate classical music.
However, the thing is, unless you have had the opportunity to become aware of this music - and, in the west, unfortunately, that tends to the preserve of a middle class cultural background along with some sort of state support for the sort of orchestras that play this music, and the radio stations that might broadcast it - you may never come to know it, or learn about it, or appreciate it.

I think another huge factor in the "decline" of classical music is how most people listen to music nowadays combined with the expense and–both actual and perceived–barriers to going to live performances.

Let's face it, classical music often is boring when highly compressed files or streams with minimized dynamics and range are played over computer speakers or earbuds/headphones tuned for maximum bass. To me, one of the major attractions of classical is the broad range of colors, emotions, and sensations that is made possible by having a diverse ensemble of instruments. Plus the actual live sound! No PA system or deaf sound board guy interferes with what the players are actually making, right in front of you! All of that is reduced or, worse, lost outside of concerts.

The other part of the problem is that ticket costs, ossified subscriber taste, and concert etiquette norms make it easy for non-aficionados to simply ignore classical shows.

Last edited:

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
I think another huge factor in the "decline" of classical music is how most people listen to music nowadays combined with the expense and–both actual and perceived–barriers to going to live performances.

Let's face it, classical music often is boring when highly compressed files or streams with minimized dynamics and range are played over computer speakers or earbuds/headphones tuned for maximum bass. To me, one of the major attractions of classical is the broad range of colors, emotions, and sensations that is made possible by having a diverse ensemble of instruments. Plus the actual live sound! No PA system or deaf sound board guy interferes with what the players are actually making, right in front of you! All of that is reduced or, worse, lost outside of concerts.

The other part of the problem is that ticket costs, ossified subscriber taste, and concert etiquette norms make it easy for non-aficionados to simply ignore classical shows.

I’ll say the community, the schools can and do influence listening of music.
Our HS has 2,000 students, and 250 of those participate in “band”. This includes marching band and Jazz / Concert / Wind / other.

Having 2 of my 3 kids go thru this, it’s refreshing to see their eyes opened to .. well live music, sounds of real instruments, etc.
Support the arts !!

2fb38bb45a5b64cb6de7e0750d202294.jpg

The early life experiences do carry on past HS. My college son - engineering major - outside of classes joined the MTU band, we watch from home his concerts via streaming.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
The town where I went to K-12 school had quite a few piano teachers that taught classical music. I spent over 10 years training every week. We had various choirs in high school, an orchestra, band, and marching band. A few of the selections were always classical. As small as the town was, they even had a "symphony orchestra". I went to one of their performances and there was a filled auditorium. It wasn't particularly thrilling but they did their best to put on a show.

I suspect they did better when they had classical music in the park, as people could wear casual clothing and come and go as they pleased.

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
I’ll say the community, the schools can and do influence listening of music.
Our HS has 2,000 students, and 250 of those participate in “band”. This includes marching band and Jazz / Concert / Wind / other.

Having 2 of my 3 kids go thru this, it’s refreshing to see their eyes opened to .. well live music, sounds of real instruments, etc.
Support the arts !!

2fb38bb45a5b64cb6de7e0750d202294.jpg

The early life experiences do carry on past HS. My college son - engineering major - outside of classes joined the MTU band, we watch from home his concerts via streaming.
That's really cool! The percussion section especially is really great!

Reactions: mtbdudex

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
I just finished judging at the California state science and engineering fair. I was judging in the junior division, which is for students aged 12 through 14 in the physics division, which includes acoustics. Of the 17 semi-finalist projects from the various counties across the state, two of them had to do with classical music. One had to do with bridge placement on string instruments, and the other one examined the layout of symphony orchestrates.

The teaching and appreciation of classical music Is alive and well.

Last edited:

VisceralRealist

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2023
Long Beach, California
I just finished judging at the California state science and engineering fair. I was judging in the junior division, which is for students aged 12 through 15 in the physics division, which includes acoustics. Of the 17 semi-finalist projects from the various counties across the state, two of them had to do with classical music. One had to do with bridge placement on string instruments, and the other one examined the layout of symphony orchestrates.

The teaching and appreciation of classical music Is alive and well.

That's excellent, though unfortunately I would say the majority of fellow young people I know don't have much appreciation for classical music beyond its use as background while studying. I grew up with a love of classical music thanks to my parents (and my grandparents). I was listening to it from the age of 5 and I first attended a symphony concert at the age of 7. But I'm an exception. I do know a few who play violin and piano and have an appreciation for it, but there aren't many. Most of my friends listen to popular music exclusively and even if they admit some classical can be good or beautiful, they wouldn't go out of their way to listen to it. Oh well. All I can do is hope to influence them. :)

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
The town where I went to K-12 school had quite a few piano teachers that taught classical music. I spent over 10 years training every week. We had various choirs in high school, an orchestra, band, and marching band. A few of the selections were always classical. As small as the town was, they even had a "symphony orchestra". I went to one of their performances and there was a filled auditorium. It wasn't particularly thrilling but they did their best to put on a show.

I suspect they did better when they had classical music in the park, as people could wear casual clothing and come and go as they pleased.
Also very cool! There were quite a few "classical teachers" (I hate that term—what does that even mean?) in my hometown, and I took some lessons with them, but I focused on contemporary genres mainly. When a former Berklee professor moved to town, I immediately got in touch and started studying with him. He's the one who got me through my college auditions!

And no, I do not go to Berklee, BTW. I did get in, and it was on my list of choices, but I ultimately chose Lawrence University because of its small size. I think I talked about this awhile ago.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
Feeling conflicted.

Yesterday I was at WalMart and as I was walking back to my truck I passed a local business's van with a dog inside. The vehicle was not running and it was upper 80's.

I called the police but didn't have time to wait for them to see if they got there before the driver came out.

I am concerned that somehow his employer will find out and may fire him which is not what I wanted, I just wanted a cop to chew his @$$ out for leaving a dog in a car on a hot sunny day.

I don't know if AZ law provides immunity to break a window to save an animal, so I didn't.

People are *******s sometimes.

Last edited by a moderator:

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
That's excellent, though unfortunately I would say the majority of fellow young people I know don't have much appreciation for classical music beyond its use as background while studying.
I will add that it has a big influence on film music, too. John Williams for instance, was inspired by Gustav Holst's The Planets - in fact, he uses some of the same rhythms!

If you're interested in learning more about this, I suggest reading Andy Hill's Scoring the Screen.
I grew up with a love of classical music thanks to my parents (and my grandparents). I was listening to it from the age of 5 and I first attended a symphony concert at the age of 7.
I grew up with a lot of classical and jazz, but very few "Top 100" pop songs. I also grew up with a lot of folk music, too. And while he doesn't play music professionally, my dad is a very skilled classical pianist, too. An amazing sight-reader.
Oh well. All I can do is hope to influence them.
Me too. I'm certainly trying!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.