Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Found an old Borders gift card when we were cleaning out to move.

I have to ask about training. How much did they press selling the "rewards program"?
This was years ago, long before they closed up permanently, and definitely before the Internet! I don't recall any sort of "rewards program"..... When we were at Registers, our primary responsibility was to deal with the purchase transaction, and to ensure that the customer had found whatever he/she had come into the store to see and buy. When working on the sales floor, we helped people find what they wanted, even if they were not sure just what that might be, and we discussed books with them (other merchandise as well, but mostly books!), guiding them to what we thought they (or the prospective recipient of a gift) might enjoy and/or often actually putting a book or two into their hands.

It could be a lot of fun and definitely rewarding to see a smile on someone's face when we handed them what they described as that book "with I think a red cover about the lady who flew airplanes...." One or two more questions of the patron usually could elicit further clues to the item's identity. (The book jacket actually was blue with a large photo of "the lady who flew airplanes": Beryl Markham.)

We also shelved the newly arriving books, too, in the section(s) to which we were assigned, as well as were responsible for keeping our section neat and tidy, and that sometimes took me longer than it should because I'd run across an interesting title and pause to just "take a quick Look" at it......

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Still trying to breathe life into my ageing Mac mini. Watching progress bars has become my new hobby.
After finally being able to turn off the stupid security feature to not enable external drives to boot, I’m hoping things start to work from my external. Very slow to start though.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
When I worked my first retail job, training was more like 30 minutes. Then you were off.
These days we don’t even take cash in our stores. It’s card only. Like a lot of places.

ours are heading towards "card only" at a fairly rapid rate

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
Some terrible news I received this morning. I can't talk about it, but it has me extremely concerned for the future of the organization it affects. And sadly, there's really nothing I can do about it. And in case you're wondering, injury or death have nothing to do with this.
Oh my god, this is actually getting crazy. To nobody's fault (because again, nothing anyone can do about this situation), I am being put under immense pressure. Not only to not speak about it AT ALL (which is fair, and I won't), but also to act (and I have no idea what to do there). It's a mess, and it's stressing me out severely.

• Wow
Reactions: VulchR

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Oh my god, this is actually getting crazy. To nobody's fault (because again, nothing anyone can do about this situation), I am being put under immense pressure. Not only to not speak about it AT ALL (which is fair, and I won't), but also to act (and I have no idea what to do there). It's a mess, and it's stressing me out severely.
If no one can do anything about the situation, stressing over it won't help.
10276LG.jpg

Tell whomever is riding your ass to back off, because it doesn't do any good. It's bad for your mental health.

mtbdudex

Suspended
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan

As a manager in a very large company my advice:

Write it all down, document it, send email to yourself for fact keeping.
Be truthful, fact based, very specific.

If someone broke the law, you must go to the authorities.

Always do the right thing; ethics, integrity, and morality dictate that.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Write it all down, document it, send email to yourself for fact keeping.
Be truthful, fact based, very specific.
Just to add my two cents if you are need to document evidence of any kind: Print a copy of the relevant information (and sign it), and/or download the information multiple times on two different USB keys. Seal them in an envelope and sign and date the flap and put transparent tape over the signature. Put this into a second envelope addressed to yourself, seal it, sign the flap, and send it via special delivery registered mail. Keep all receipts etc. and don't open the outer envelope until you need to legally. This works for everything from documenting intellectual property to recording details of a crime even if you are uncertain about reporting it. E-mail is not sufficiently secure and it might not be admissible if there is ever a court case.

Yes, I am paranoid, but I am also the spawn of a lawyer...

Reactions: rm5

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
Well goodness, looks like I've caught another cold, I am not feeling well today. Sucks it has to happen at the worst time possible.

oreganoinferno

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2016
I'm a engineer doing design work. "My" designs made 1.4 billion dollars in revenue, but as I usually dropped out at approx. 90% of the work to go on to the next project, I'm not attributed to the success. "My" is in quotations marks as I'm of course not the sole person who made the revenue possible. But I've been critical to the team that set up the products, etc.. I also did conceptual work that my employer heavily used for promotion, but again, no one in the hierarchy really knows I'm behind that work. One "good" person knew, but is now retired, and the other person plays games I'm not in to. Now a high-level restructuring going on in my company is about to ax my position...
I'm currently developing what I believe might be the "next big thing" in my industry, but I'm afraid it won't save me. I guess being a good engineer doesn't help when you're terrible at networking, or don't have someone doing that for you...

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Today's activity; ran a half-marathon. Weather was nice but on the hot side; some 25C, sunny and a mild breeze. Still enjoyed it very much, as always. And what don't you do for a free banana...
Where was this race?

It’s one of the nicer and tasteful medals I’ve seen.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I'm a engineer doing design work. "My" designs made 1.4 billion dollars in revenue, but as I usually dropped out at approx. 90% of the work to go on to the next project, I'm not attributed to the success. "My" is in quotations marks as I'm of course not the sole person who made the revenue possible. But I've been critical to the team that set up the products, etc.. I also did conceptual work that my employer heavily used for promotion, but again, no one in the hierarchy really knows I'm behind that work. One "good" person knew, but is now retired, and the other person plays games I'm not in to. Now a high-level restructuring going on in my company is about to ax my position...
I'm currently developing what I believe might be the "next big thing" in my industry, but I'm afraid it won't save me. I guess being a good engineer doesn't help when you're terrible at networking, or don't have someone doing that for you...
Sorry to hear that. I’m not very good at playing the game either and feel the same way about my position. Hope it works out for you.

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
Today's activity; ran a half-marathon. Weather was nice but on the hot side; some 25C, sunny and a mild breeze. Still enjoyed it very much, as always. And what don't you do for a free banana...
That's really cool! Don't think I'll ever be able to do that, I can hardly run for 10 seconds. I envy those like you who can though!

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I feel for you. I hope that you can find some other company that can make use of your talents and appreciate everything that you can do.

I worked in software development for years. All of my managers were less technical than I was. I worked for an owner at one place that didn't have a clue. Thankfully, I was well known and getting five calls a day for new opportunities.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.