Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goodwill

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2004
Dallas
Wasn't the U2 ipod part of their marketing? Didn't they release vertigo right around the same time the special edition ipod came out last october/november? I think I am right on that and assuming so I think that was primarily part of their marketing campaign. I would say they specifically invested x amount into it and worked with apple to establish such a player. Part apple, part U2. With the rumored Dave Matthews ipod, I am sure so and so band's will start looking more into their own ipod based on their financials etc.

noel4r

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Los Angeles
I didn't become a big fan of U2 until I saw them live. Amazing performers, not to miss. How about a Clash iPod? After all, they used their song for the first iTunes advertisement. Hmm, probably wont sell as much though.... I wonder how much U2 gets per iPod.

tamtam

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2004
Frankly I think the main reason U2 was selected for a ipod is Apple thinks they represent the Apple culture (i.e. think different). The vast majority of bands are only looking for fame and riches but Bono and U2 have a long track record of giving their name, time and effort supporting humanitarian causes even when the cameras are not “on”.

So the question is which groups are worthy to represent the Apple culture.

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
Here is a little quick something. Basic approach, not overly busy. Don't rant on the image quality for the screen, I threw it in really quick so its a little messy. Let me know what you think....

Attachments

• iPod Color 700.jpg
    iPod Color 700.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 96

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
topgunn said:
On a world-wide scale, the only thing bigger than U2 is The Stones. Today, Elvis does not come close. I mean, when was the last time that guy sold out a venue?
I would say that Michael Jackson is pretty big globally! Simply saying U2 is the only band to have an iPod because they are the "biggest" just doesn't cut it for me!

God mock-up efoto

Sirus The Virus

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2005
Texas
In my mind U2 is the biggest rock band right now, and the greatist. I would like to see a Coldplay or a Dave Matthews iPod would be really nice. But what would be even cooler would be George Lucas video iPod preloaded with all the Starwars, THX 1138, and American Graffiti. I would be the first in line. :)

Sirus The Virus

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2005
Texas
James Philp said:
I would say that Michael Jackson is pretty big globally! Simply saying U2 is the only band to have an iPod because they are the "biggest" just doesn't cut it for me!

God mock-up efoto

Micheal Jackson is very big globally, but a Michael Jackson iPod would not be widely accepted. Especially with all these child molestation charges.

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2004
u2 is an interesting band, while they have their radio friendly songs like with or with out you and beatiful day... A LOT of their material is not radio friendly.. and on first listen can be awkward to listen to listen to.... but yeah they are individualistic for sure... city of blinding lights should be the next single. :cool:

noel4r

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Los Angeles
James Philp said:

God mock-up efoto

Maybe a Michael Jackson iPod mini (for the kids)... :D

Nickygoat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2004
London
James Philp said:
What about Elvis!? He's in the UK charts right now!?
Surely he, along with The Stones, Led Zep, The Beatles to name a few are bigger than U2.
Heavens, even (dare I say it) Michael Jackson! He's been in the charts for 30+ years!
You can name PLENTY of bands that are as big as U2.
I don't think there's going to be a Beatles iPod any time soon - not with Apple vs Apple currently running :p. Maybe if Steve picks up Jacko's Beatles back catalogue and uses it as leverage - now there's a thought ;)

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2004
Nickygoat said:
I don't think there's going to be a Beatles iPod any time soon - not with Apple vs Apple currently running :p. Maybe if Steve picks up Jacko's Beatles back catalogue and uses it as leverage - now there's a thought ;)

the beatles.. paul makes it an "honor" to own the beatles catalouge... like a privalege is what im getting at... he should just have the catalogue up on itunes and work some deal with the record holders.. eesh

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
I just think the main thing stopping a lot of "trendy" people buying an ipod is that "everyone has one". I know of a few people personally who have said that.
If there were more individualized iPods (like a run of 3000 Kiss ones or name any band) they would feel a lot more special and individual.
If i had the chance to be one of 3000 people to own a Beastie Boys iPod, I know I would jump at the chance!

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
noel4r said:
Maybe a Michael Jackson iPod mini (for the kids)... :D

Ha, what a great idea! :rolleyes:

Umm, a whole bunch of work just came in, I don't think I'll have time to do that one, even a quick version. Besides, other than Thriller, I never cared for the lad that much.

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
mactastic said:
Dammit, where's my Wing Music iPod???

Now there is an iPod that everyone can appreciate, old and young alike :p
Where o where in the world did you come across that?

If I wasn't so tired/cold/lonely, I would start it right away. Instead I am going to put in a horrible anti-love love story type movie and pray I fall asleep soon. Being home-sick sucks :(

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
efoto said:
Now there is an iPod that everyone can appreciate, old and young alike :p
Indeed! Award winning material for sure. :p
Where o where in the world did you come across that?
Well South Park just did an episode revolving around the boys managing the career of Ms. Wing, but her musical prowess has been floating about the internet for a while now. I think it might even have been posted here on this forum a time or two before.

Get well soon!

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Man, U2 was my favorite band for a long time (back since the days of 'October' and 'Boy'), but they're in danger of turning into the Rolling Stones. When I heard 'Vertigo' I thought maybe they'd went back toward their roots; but the rest of the album is pretty so-so - basically in line with the last several they've done. Unfortunately folks in my age demographic are the ones keeping groups like this going.

I'd second the call for a Coldplay iPod though. Or perhaps one of the groups that've been used on the iPod commercials like Gorillaz or the Vines.

fistful

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
Socan
I'd really like a NIN or Tool iPod. I just think they'd potentially be strange and original and probably sell quite well.

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
Nickygoat said:
i think it'd be pretty awesome if to celebrate the settlement/end or whatever of this apple v. apple mess they made a limited edition beatles 'pod. i'd certainly buy it :cool:

musiclover137

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2005
topgunn said:
On a world-wide scale, the only thing bigger than U2 is The Stones. Today, Elvis does not come close. I mean, when was the last time that guy sold out a venue?
just about every night, in vegas

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.