Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NattyE

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2012
This is a serious question as I've just ordered a 13" MBPr with Touch Bar. I'm not sure whether to go for the 5K monitor or 2 4K monitors.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Thunderbolt 3 is the 3rd generation of the Thunderbolt data transfer protocol, capable of up to 40Gbps.

USB-C is a type of universal cable connector. The USB-C plug can carry Thunderbolt signals, USB 2 signals, USB 3.1 gen 1, USB 3.1 gen 2, power, HDMI, Ethernet, DisplayPort, FireWire, and PCI.

The tricky part is that not all USB-C Port implementations carry Thunderbolt (like the 12" MacBook). On a display, I don't think it would matter much which you buy if you have no Thunderbolt peripherals. But if you do, and you want the display to be a thunderbolt hub, get a Thunderbolt Display.

garyleecn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2014
TB3 display has ability and bandwidth to act as a USB hub, displaying 4k@60hz while maintaining usb3 speed.
example. LG ultrafine 5k display. which gives you 5k AND 3 extra usb-c (usb 3.1 gen 1 speed)

USB-C display will only give you either 4k@60hz OR usb 3 speed.
example. LG ultrafine 4k display. which give you 4k and 3 extra usb-c (usb 2.0 480mbps)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.