Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chrisnorth

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2002
Yukon, Canada
OK, I know that OS X has a built in firewall, but I keep hearing about front ends that make it much more user friendly. Also, what about virus checkers?

Has anyone found a really good OS X native suite of Internet utilities that include Firewall and Virus Protection? If so, I'd be interested to hear your evaluation. What's the best option out there?

timbloom

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2002
For your firewall, if you are running Jaguar, go to your Sharing PrefPane, there you will find a very easy to use front end to it. For virus protection, you can buy .Mac and get Virex for free from the website (don't install if you use Fink).. but I also like Norton too.

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2002
Connecticut
firewalls are meant to be hardware based. have a good router setup, and use the software firewall stuff as a way of keeping you feeling more secure. in truth, the hardware is what will make the difference from being owned...

timbloom

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2002
Originally posted by yzedf
firewalls are meant to be hardware based. have a good router setup, and use the software firewall stuff as a way of keeping you feeling more secure. in truth, the hardware is what will make the difference from being owned...
Yes, setting firewalls on your router is actually much more convenient over time, and more reliable, but for a software solution the one built into X is quite good because it is standard ipfw, and not some goofy little app that you pray works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.