What's the best Mac keyboard?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by DevilsRejection, Jul 1, 2006.

1. DevilsRejection macrumors regular

I'm a switcher, and I loved my logitech keyboard and mouse combo.

When I got my iMac I threw away the mighty mouse after 1 hour and went back to my MX 1000.

Still using the official keybord, but I want something else, prefably flatter

2. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

3. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

It is not flat or small, but my favorite is the old Apple Extended Keyboard, model M0115. Awesome ADB keyboard. I still use mine.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I thought people were looking at updating those to the ...

http://matias.ca/tactilepro/

Though I cannot imaging what replacing 20-200 membrane keyboards in a cubicle farm with clickey keyboards would be like, probably really noisy.

5. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

No, that keyboard is just an Apple Pro keyboard with the Alps keyswitches. The row of function keys, arrows and numeric keypad are too close to the main keyboard.

But the clicky sound of all those keyboards would be like heaven!

6. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I've heard good things about this.

I tried it out in a store.. almost silent, feels like my PowerBook keyboard. :D

7. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Whoa thanks for the link...I've been looking for a keyboard that feels like a laptop keyboard for a while. When I'm plugged into my big monitor and my PB is in clamshell, I'm stuck using my old iMac G3 keyboard, which sucks. Doh!

Definitely looks like an investment I might be interested in making....

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'd rather have a Logitech keyboard than anything else currently available. Apple's keyboards aren't bad but they just don't feel as nice when I type.

I would never have another MacAlly product. Their iMedia keyboard was a problem for me. I would shut down my machine and as soon as I turned off the light in the room, the computer would start up. Removing the keyboard solved the problem.

9. JackSYi macrumors 6502a

I agree with you. It feels really nice and fast.

10. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

is there any keyboard for desktops that's like the macbooks'? i'll be getting one of those in october, and i'd like to get used to the feel.

11. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I like the one that came with my eMac 2 years ago. It was the Wireless one.

12. DevilsRejection thread starter macrumors regular

So I'm thinking about the Kensington since they're a known brand name. the Ikeyslim is cheap enough but i'm not quite sure i want to gamble on that

13. Obsidian6 macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

if you get the kensington slim keyboard let me know how you like it. im real interested in it

14. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

why can't you use the logitech keyboard that you loved? :confused:

15. generik macrumors 601

generik

I second the Tactile Pro too.

It is expensive, and when I got it initially I wasn't too used to the resistance, but woah, now I have to say I absolutely LOVE it. Gives your hands their much needed exercise while your lazy ass sits on a chair whole day AND it actually helps you to type way faster!

16. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

We got one of those at work with a new Mac Mini. I think it's ugly as sin and feels really flimsy. It's also huge - too huge.

17. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=212051

Covered some of it here. I'm quite perturbed at the cruddiness of Apple's keyboards after a period of use. And since my last Mac keyboard a decade ago was the Ergonomic, I'm dismayed at the slide in quality. It's barely better than a Dell! The engineering of the Enter key is particularly bad. I opted for Apple keyboards on all my desktops and the MBP at first but it was ultimately a total waste of money since I'm now going to swap all of them out. I wonder if I can go back to the Apple Store and return them as being rubbish?

I'm digging my Keysonic ACK-5000HL. It's very low-profile. Scissor-action keyboards train you to hammer less. Have more on order, and I'll give the Logitech a try as well but I've disliked every Logi I've had recently except the Dinovo, which I didn't hate but I found the keyboard shape a bit difficult to get used to.

I didn't know about the Tactile Pro. I may have to give it a try but at the moment the Keysonic is doing a great job, at about one-fifth of the price of the TP :p Still, you only get one set of fingers for life so I think it's worth investigating for something that works for you.

Attached Files:

18. JosiahPB macrumors regular

The best mac keyboard is in my powerbook. I'm typing on it right now.

19. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Apple's slide in keyboards has a lot to do with cost.

Apple didn't include a keyboard with Quadra models. You had to pay $129-$159 here to get a keyboard. For that price, it had better be first rate equipment. When I got my Performa 476, they had a keyboard included without function keys or keypad and it was okay but nothing great. I paid $50 for a Microspeed keyboard that was every bit the equivalent of that $159 Apple keyboard.

At least, the current keyboards aren't nearly as bad as those from the original iMac or Blue and White PowerMac G3s. :)

20. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

I have tried various keyboards (MS's ergonomic wireless keyboard, Kensigton slim keyboard, and etc). I ended up going with Apple Pro BT keyboards. I have three of them for my Macs and I have the wired one for my Ti PB.

21. Obsidian6 macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

I have the BT wireless that i used on my laptop for the last two years, never really had any complaints about it.

I just picked up a kensington slim-type and i sure do like it a lot. its very responsive, and feels very much like my powerbook keyboard. i like the regular wired apple keyboard, but i wish the keys were more responsive. i think ill keep this kensington for a while

22. colinp macrumors member

I've got a Kensington slim that I've been using for about three weeks now. I think it is the perfect full keyboard replacement of the Pbook keyboard. Only thing I dislike about it is lack of extra USB ports. I end up plugging in a USB hub into my Pbook so I have a few extra ports, which isn't that big of a deal I suppose.

SO yep, I love it. There are a few things you need to get used to if you move from the Pbook to the Kensington, but it is a dream of a keyboard. Works like a champ and feels like a dream.

23. Obsidian6 macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

i agree, im really liking it. Currently using it on the PM G5 at home. I use the BT pro with my powerbook at work.

It is taking a little getting used to with the key layout compared to the standard apple keyboard. but i think i can adjust well enough, this one is pretty sweet. plus, for me, having the itunes keys right there is just lovely. because im always listening to my music haha.

24. FullmetalZ26 macrumors regular

Before I switched back to Macs in early 2005, I had grown quite attached to my 17-year-old IBM Model M keyboard. Any keyboard without a spring and switch under each key is uncomfortable to me now. So, not long after I got my Mini 1.42 and matching Apple USB keyboard, I closeted the Apple keyboard and got a USB adapter for the clicky keyboard. Keeps my neighbors up at night, but hey, I get an extra 30WPM.

25. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

if you can wait (if it releases when they say it will) Optimus keyboard looks promising