Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rideahyperLite

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2003
Ok I was thinking about getting an airport extreme but i wanted to know if there are any better wireless routers out there.

some criteria

-802.11g
-built in 56k modem
-range is important
-lower price is always better but doesn't necessarily matter

thanks

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
im gonna bet that airport extreme is the only one with a built in modem, so get your 250 dollars ready.

iJon

rideahyperLite

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2003
Originally posted by iJon
im gonna bet that airport extreme is the only one with a built in modem, so get your 250 dollars ready.

iJon

yeahhh.. thats what i figured. damn

bbarnhart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2002
There are two versions of Apple's AirPort Extreame. One has a modem, the other does not. The one without the modem is US$199.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
Originally posted by NavyIntel007
No modems on any other routers. I have a netgear and it burps on me all the time.

i have a netgear and it works flawlessly. I have had it since novmeber and it has only not worked once when it change the IP randomly but that was easily fixed otherwise its great.

Ride if I would not spend the money on a wfii router unlesu have broadband. also i mean you don't need 802.11g to share dialup if thats what your doing. If you jsut wanted filesharing i would make a wired network for that but thats jsut me.

rideahyperLite

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2003
Originally posted by Kwyjibo
i have a netgear and it works flawlessly. I have had it since novmeber and it has only not worked once when it change the IP randomly but that was easily fixed otherwise its great.

Ride if I would not spend the money on a wfii router unlesu have broadband. also i mean you don't need 802.11g to share dialup if thats what your doing. If you jsut wanted filesharing i would make a wired network for that but thats jsut me.

yeah well i have broadband at school but at my house in vt. i have dial up so i need the modem also

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
Originally posted by rideahyperLite
yeah well i have broadband at school but at my house in vt. i have dial up so i need the modem also

personally when i had dialup i just got a long cord and used that occasionally when i need to go online. For the moeny i say go with 802.11b if your jsut surfing the webu will not ntoice a difference in connection/web content with the G and you will save big bucks. i got my 802.11b router for like 70 bucks befreo xmas so deals are out there if you lok around.

mgargan1

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Reston, VA
depends on which platform you are using, if you are using a PC, in an open room, then intel makes the best. They work with every OS for pc's. If you have a mac, then AirPort is nice. Linksys is really good as well. However, if you're going to be using it on different levels, then go with B or G, because it goes through walls better. There's a technical explanation for it, and it all has to do with the frequency, and interference. But for open spaces, or if you're going to keep the computer on the same floor as the router... then intel's is the best. Otherwise linksys, or apple. I'm using an apple and an intel right now. Intel for my pc, and air port for my 17" powerbook.

iDork

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2003
OC/California
I was about to order the Airport Extreme mainly due to its USB port for printer sharing however it doesn't have a 4 port switch.
So I ordered the Belkin 54g with 4-port switch after reading CNET's review
This is an EXCELLENT router. The range is MUCH better than my D-LINK 802.11b and Linksys 802.11b routers. I paid $90 for this item after $40 mail-in-rebate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.