Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SLJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2003
Australia
If I bring the powerbook to apple centra, is it possible to fit a bigger and faster hdd then the stock one? i would like to see something like 7200rpm hdd in my powerbook... i think that would increase the speed of the powerbok as well...

SLJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2003
Australia
does anyone blieve my replacing a 5400rpm hdd in the 12" powerbook, the system would be a little quicker? I am consider upgrading the hdd to a faster hard driver.... any ideas?

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
There are 7200 RPM 60 GB notebook drives right now. They are fast, but expensive. See http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/ for more info. There are also 5400 RPM 80 GB notebook drives. Cheaper, more capacity, faster than what you have now, but not as fast as the 7200.

Buy them both at Old World Computing, but make sure you get the 9.5mm 2.5" drive. The 12mm won't fit. Hitachis are good.

edit: Apparently they're all 9.5mm now, so don't worry about it.

SLJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2003
Australia
a firewire would cost more then a 7200rpm hdd with apple centre installing it, right?

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Originally posted by SLJ
does anyone blieve my replacing a 5400rpm hdd in the 12" powerbook, the system would be a little quicker? I am consider upgrading the hdd to a faster hard driver.... any ideas?

it depends what you are doing. if you are doing alot of video editing or audio production than yes, absolutely yes! anything that requires constant reading of the disk is going to be much faster. things like typing and surfing the net? no, not really. i replace my 4200 with a 5400 in my old TiBook and my track count (Logic Audio) increased by a bunch. however, i have to say i agree with the others. get a FireWire drive with the Oxford chipset. it will be 7200 RPM and much cheaper than an internal laptop drive replacement. maybe even check out a FireWire chassis for a regular desktop drive. you'll save even more money in the long run and have the option for larger storage. i would have to say that unless you absolutely MUST have an onboard drive then go for FireWire. it will probably be more reliable as well.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
I think a 7200 rpm drive would make the heat problem worse. A more than 50% increase in rpm can't be good for the heat.

iPC

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2003
East Windsor, CT

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
Originally posted by tjwett
it depends what you are doing. if you are doing alot of video editing or audio production than yes, absolutely yes!

-SLJ

Yes, 7200 would be better for video on an internal, but then, as others say, if you could find one, you'd have power draw and heat issues.

An even better solution, as hugemullens suggests, is an external as a media/scratch disk. Your boot drive still must make reads/writes to the drive for OS and Application needs, and external drive will separate the read/write loads and you can get better performance.

Personally, I use the OWC Mercury On-The-Go as it has the Oxford 911 chipset. This particular one has a big 16MB Data Buffer, thus compnsating for the 5400rpm spindle speed.

I use it to edit FCP on my 12PB.

hugemullens

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2002
Michigan
Originally posted by SLJ
a firewire would cost more then a 7200rpm hdd with apple centre installing it, right?

I REALLY doubt it. 200 bucks for the drive, god only knows how much to actually install it, and if you install it yourself goodbye warrenty. And the firewire drive can be used acrossed multiple computers. Firewire all the way!

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
too bad the new powerbooks arent like the old. you could just open the keyboard and pop a new hard drive in and you set. just be thankful your not asking us for help on installing a hard drive in an ibook.

iJon

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Originally posted by Abstract
Goodbye battery life. Hello heat.

*waves hello*

good points Abstract and Freg. i didn't even think of that. i'm sitting here with my 12" PowerBook and my legs are hot as hell and my battery life is already only about an hour or so. i don;t think a 7200 RPM drive would help at all.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Originally posted by patrick0brien
-SLJ

Yes, 7200 would be better for video on an internal, but then, as others say, if you could find one, you'd have power draw and heat issues.

An even better solution, as hugemullens suggests, is an external as a media/scratch disk. Your boot drive still must make reads/writes to the drive for OS and Application needs, and external drive will separate the read/write loads and you can get better performance.

Personally, I use the OWC Mercury On-The-Go as it has the Oxford 911 chipset. This particular one has a big 16MB Data Buffer, thus compnsating for the 5400rpm spindle speed.

I use it to edit FCP on my 12PB.

i agree totally. in that first sentence i wasn't actually suggesting the purchase. i was just answering the question of if it would speed things up at all. i don't think it's a good idea at all. i'm using FireWire on my 12" PowerBook for Logic and Final Cut data and my machine is still super hot and has a very short battery life. the 12" PowerBook is an awesome machine because of it's size, design, feel, etc. but i still always get jealous when my girlfriend can get over 4 hours of battery and her iBook is still not even warm to the touch. note to all potential 12" PowerBook owners: You must wear pants when using this machine. it's hot as hell.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
-tjwett

Well, it's hot because Aluminum is an excellent heat conductor. The iBook will run cooler, but imagine how much heat is held inside that plasic case. This is one of the reasons why the 12PB can be so thin BTW.

As for your battery, have you run it out to forced sleep, then recharge - without interruption on the recharge? Check to see if Bluetooth and Airport are active if you don't need them to be so. Also check your Energy Saver preferences for a more efficient setting than you are running now.

AnotherMortal

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2003
Baltimore
Originally posted by iJon
too bad the new powerbooks arent like the old. you could just open the keyboard and pop a new hard drive in and you set. just be thankful your not asking us for help on installing a hard drive in an ibook.

iJon

<shudders> I did that ONCE Never again. It was an out-of-warranty iBook with a crashed drive. (yeah, ker-klunk, crashed head) 30 some screws. And you're right, the old powerbooks were nice. Open, keyboard, remove one screw, remove hard drive.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
That's one thing I will miss when I replace my G3 Powerbook with a newer model. It really is just a flip of a keyboard and one screw and then you are free to upgrade your HD, RAM, processor, etc. I was shocked how quickly I tripled the RAM, it was 10x easier than when I had upgraded the RAM in my old Gateway I had before I switched over. (With the Gateway it is 4 screws to get the door off, remove the HD, remove the cage holding the HD and a fan, remove a jungle of cables, then *finally* get to the RAM...then reverse the process when completed)

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
Sorry to double post, but, I have been looking around online and there are a few PC laptops that have 7200 rpm drives as built to order options already. I wonder if this could be a near future possibility for Apple, as well. I realize the 12" is a firebook as is because of the HD, but if there are that many laptops that have them on the high end or as an option already, the technology must be there.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Originally posted by patrick0brien
-tjwett

Well, it's hot because Aluminum is an excellent heat conductor. The iBook will run cooler, but imagine how much heat is held inside that plasic case. This is one of the reasons why the 12PB can be so thin BTW.

As for your battery, have you run it out to forced sleep, then recharge - without interruption on the recharge? Check to see if Bluetooth and Airport are active if you don't need them to be so. Also check your Energy Saver preferences for a more efficient setting than you are running now.

i understand about the Alluminum thing. it's a great idea and very efficient, just wish my legs weren't always sweating. re: the battery thing, i have calibrated the battery a few times as instructed by a local Genius Bar dude. it may have helped a little but it's still really short. the thing that really worries me is that it drains even when it's a sleep. and not just a few points. like i could put it to sleep at 75% and wake it up the next day and it will be at 5%. i know, i know, i'm gonna bring it back for a new battery asap. in the meantime i'm gonna try calibrating again, this time with no interruption during recharge. i don't think i did that before. no one ever mentioned that you shouldn't use it during the calib ration recharge. i'm glad you brought this up. thanks.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
I don't know if it'd help or not, but try trashing your power management pref files, resetting your PMU, etc. All those little things can make a world of difference. I remember I left my Powerbook off for a couple of months during summer vacation and came back to the battery not even charging or keeping more than 10% and after all my tinklering it wasn't until I reset the PMU and trashed my pref files that it suddenly went up to about 4 1/2 hours after it charged back up.

SLJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2003
Australia
how do you trashes the Power Management perference file and where do I reset the PMU? I need guideline.. new to APPLE & OSX

AnotherMortal

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2003
Baltimore
Resetting PMU

PMU Resets are different between desktops and laptops. It used to be a small button, but now on laptops its a keyboard command. Here is a link to an Apple article describing PMU reset on iBooks and Powerbooks. (link found C/O macosxhints article found here )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.