Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

east85

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Just wondering what the earliest version is that supports the correct iOS version to sync with the icloud and Mac for full functionality.

Thanks.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Just wondering what the earliest version is that supports the correct iOS version to sync with the icloud and Mac for full functionality.

Thanks.

The iPhone 3GS has iCloud support.

Just to clarify: you need iOS 5 in order to use iCloud, and iPhone 3GS is the oldest phone that Apple supports iOS 5 for.

But with help of software you can find online, you can install iOS 5 on even the first generation iPhone. I don't know how well it works though.

nyolc8

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2012
...you can install iOS 5 on even the first generation iPhone. I don't know how well it works though.

The real thing is, that "iOS 5" for old devices (whited00r) is a heavy-modified iOS 3. So iCloud is not working on that (They just calling dropbox sync support as icloud support). So real iCloud is only available on iPhone 3GS or above.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
The real thing is, that "iOS 5" for old devices (whited00r) is a heavy-modified iOS 3. So iCloud is not working on that (They just calling dropbox sync support as icloud support). So real iCloud is only available on iPhone 3GS or above.

Oh, okay. Thanks for the information!

east85

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
I was hoping to hear this. I know the iPhone 4 is pretty cheap now, so I might pick one up with the 5 hits. Guessing by then it's going to be even more affordable. I broke my old iPhone 3G after a night out on the town (herp derp), so I just needed to get an idea of what would work. That phone was due for retirement anyways, or so it seems with the 10.8 release.

Thanks for the input!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.