Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

7on

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
You know that "Servers" alias in the Network icon in the /Volumes/ dir. And all that's in is is YourMachineName.local which is an alias to your OSX booted volume. What else can be done with that "Servers" alias?

Thanks.

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
If someone else is in your local area network with Personal File Sharing turned on, their computer will show up there.

Lee Tom

7on

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
now this is weird, it has never ever done this for me and I have a B&W G3 on my network. In fact it has also never done this for me on Campus where there's about 20 or so Macs with PFS on. The names of course show up in the Network icon, but just my machine shows up in the Servers icon.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 146

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
7on said:
now this is weird, it has never ever done this for me and I have a B&W G3 on my network. In fact it has also never done this for me on Campus where there's about 20 or so Macs with PFS on. The names of course show up in the Network icon, but just my machine shows up in the Servers icon.
I get exactly the same thing. All the machines on my network show up in the Network icon (didn't do that before 10.3.5), but only my machine shows up under Servers.

Sneeper

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2004
San Francisco
I believe it shows shares you have already mounted. Try connecting to another machine listed in the Networks.. Once you have a volume mounted, does it show up under Servers?

I can test this tomorrow at work if nobody has tested by then.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Sneeper said:
I believe it shows shares you have already mounted. Try connecting to another machine listed in the Networks.. Once you have a volume mounted, does it show up under Servers?

I can test this tomorrow at work if nobody has tested by then.
I tried with a Windows share mounted - the Servers area is still the same.

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
Maybe it shows more 'official' servers that are validated at logon, like in some corporate environments. anyone in this situation that can verify what this does?

Lee Tom

Sneeper

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2004
San Francisco
I'm at work and only have myself in my Servers alias.

We have a mixed environment.. Samba, AFP, NFS servers.. Macs, windows, Linux, Irix.. A motley crue of machines all happily living together.. We have tuns of machines under our Network tab divided by different catagory.

Oh well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.