Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I read on ARS that the PageFair site was hacked on Halloween night and this caused many people visiting sites who used PageFairs analytics to get the flash out of date warning. If clicked on, users who were tricked into install.

EDIT: I see it was already talked about.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
I read on ARS that the PageFair site was hacked on Halloween night and this caused many people visiting sites who used PageFairs analytics to get the flash out of date warning. If clicked on, users who were tricked into install.

EDIT: I see it was already talked about.

I read it only effected PC machines

Cancelled
Oct 11, 2015
Ars Technica article ---
....Fortunately, the malware was detected by F-Secure and likely competing antivirus packages as well. Additionally, a large percentage of connections to the attacker servers failed. On top of that, NanoCore runs only on Windows, so people visiting on machines running other operating systems were immune to the attack. PageFair's Blanchfield estimated that only 2.3 percent of people visiting one of the 501 affected sites during the attack would have been at risk of being infected. Still, the incident is the latest to show how people visiting known sites can still be exposed to drive-by attacks with serious consequences.
http://arstechnica.com/security/201...king-service-to-deliver-nasty-malware-attack/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.