What's wrong with me?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by bradc, Aug 4, 2006.

1. bradc macrumors 6502

As I sit here on my week long vacation I have been pondering many things. One of late is my lack of success recently with the opposite sex, if you can't tell by my name, I'm a guy;)

My last girlfriend and I broke it off three months ago? Her claims were that I was too busy and I couldn't talk about things, open up. Which as nerdy as it sounds, I can't talk about my day at work because I have a 'Secret Clearance Level' for my job. I'm an Engineer/Researcher at Raytheon where most of my work right now is for the U.S. Military. So she was right and I knew it, because 6months ago till 2months ago, I was constantly travelling for business and often worked 12 hour days....I only have to work 8 hours but my passion is my work. I use the Labs at work to further my research and development because it's exciting to me just as playing video games is to some.

So I realised the world wasn't going to end anytime soon and cut back my hours after we split. I picked up a new car, paid it all off 2months ago? and now I go on cruises, amateur track weekend races etc. I'm by no means a geek, I use to race Downhiil Mountain Biking, I Sail competitively sometimes, do duathlons etc etc. I've also travelled a quite a bit internationally.

So now that you guys/girls have a short 'current' bio of me currently...I can't seem to find a girl I have interest in or all to often, vice versa:eek: I think it's my lack of captivation haha? I don't know, so how do you guys/girls recommend I remedy my situation? Where should I go, do etc...?

I'm a good looking guy, well at least that's what my 90yr old Grandma says:p , I've got good taste in clothes-I'm a fan of Paul & Shark clothing, it's practically my whole warddrobe! I'm a smart guy with lots of interests, hobbies,volunteering efforts, stories and a new car to boot! Oh, by the way I'm 30..........point five:)

Anyways, post your suggestions, comments etc. Also, if you're one of the rare females on this board and want to talk send me a PM!

2. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Let your guard down and be yourself. In my experience, girls want someone that's genuine and doesn't ******** them...

3. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Well, for one, you're looking for dating advice on MacRumors... ;)

4. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Just admit that, like me, you're doomed to live the sad lonely life of a singleton :p

5. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

hahahaha...that's a good point.

It's been all of 3 months since your last girlfriend and you're freaking out already? :)

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Hmm... you seem kind of desperate for a girlfriend. Try relaxing about it, as if you don't care whether you are dating or not. Even better is to actually not care if you are dating or not.

Once you're happy by yourself, you'll meet somone.

7. bradc thread starter macrumors 6502

Hahahaha so true, looking for advice here:rolleyes: Nahh, not desperate, just down on my luck lately and all my friends around me seem to be getting married! I've been to 4 weddings in July alone!

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Not saying you ARE desperate, just that you come across that way here. If you also happen to come across that way IRL, you might be turning some girls off. Nothing less attractive than something you know you can have.

And seriously, 3 months? Nothing to worry about.

9. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

And when you're asked to witness affidavits for 4 divorces in the future you'll thank your lucky stars you're still single. :p

10. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

11. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

I'm in the same situation and the 2 girls i like, 1 is already going out with someone else and the other is trying to tempt another guy. Its hopeless!!! To be perfectly honest, i have stopped really caring and now it is whatever comes my way.

PS: The song I'm listening to doesn't help. JC Chasez - All Day Long I Dream About Sex :p

12. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

of course when a girl says something like that to a guy, she's not talking about his job!!!

13. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

There you go – you need to target 90 year olds. ;)

Link

14. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

For another, you are more likely to be asked out by other guys on MR.

Unless one of the ladies decides to take pity on you. ;)

15. bartelby macrumors Core

Hahahahahaha!

Great advice!

16. shirley macrumors member

whats wrong with me

lmao @ bartelby's link

you guys need to relax the right person is out there for everyone

17. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

You should ask yourself, are you being a wussy man? And by wussy man Im talking like sucking up the girl, buy her affection/buying your way to her heart, treating her like a perfect angel all the time, being predictable, not being decisive ("I donno, where do you want to go? What do you want to do?"). This is typical wussy man/nice guy behavior and it is NOT attractive at all to a girl. And it is all about attraction. Showing her the opposite of wussy man behavior like being interesting, cocky & funny, challenging, a good communicator, being assertive (knowing what you want but also taking other peoples ideas into consideration), and not being needy. Learn to flirt! Treat them like your bratty younger sister.

Also check out askmen.com for help. It sounds like your problem is more of a mental/psychological thing. You'll do fine though, seeing as you must have alot of money (which is good when looking for a mate) and that you're a well balanced guy as far as your life goes.

18. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Love is strange.....When you find it..never let it go NEVER!....wait i'm suppose to be helping you......Yea you should date her....hold on wait:confused:

Bless

19. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Did you want a report in essay format, or just a list?

20. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Learn to focus on topics outside of your job. Hobbies, sports, current events, family, cars, whatever.

In addition, become comfortable with what you can talk about the job which a SO might find interesting. Remember, not everything you do is classified. Lunch, co-workers, office antics, office jokes can go a long ways toward placating the SO.

21. bradc thread starter macrumors 6502

Hahaha you guys are funny. Yeah it's just everyone around me is getting married and one of my friends already has kids...scary! For the time being I've got my car and my dog and my job and I'm happy:)

Someone mentioned money, while my job does pay handsomely-it gives off the wrong vibe! I'll go to a Second Cup late at night or early in the morning and I guess there is some validity to the whole 'car' thing. The weirdest most fake girls come up and try to strike up the most dumb conversation topics...ugh lack of intelligence is a big turn off for me.

22. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

Just because your friends are getting married right now and having kids doesn't mean you have to also. Who's to say that you have to follow in their situations? Nobody... Just take it as it goes and things will work out, probably for the better. No need to stress over keeping up with others fortunes because in the end who are you really benefitting?

23. Elphaba macrumors regular

Elphaba

Let love find you. I know that's cliche...but it really does work. Don't go looking for "the one"... Love will find you when you least expect it. :)