Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbomber

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 24, 2003
Brooklyn - NYC
There are some amazing commercials out there, most of which are better than the actual shows.

Excluding the New G5 commercials, :) what's your current favorite?

Anyone else seen the Converse commercial with the ball moving around on the court and Mos Def doing the voice over? It's hot.

Perci Mac

macrumors member
One good one is kind of a commercial, but more a banner for family guy. The one about the great American family. Everyone is beating each other up. It's pretty funny. Though recently the best commercial I've seen is the converse commercial with the invisible players.

Judo

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2002
New Zealand
I don't know if this ad still runs or what but I got it off of the interweb the other day, it's the yard fitness one with the naked basket ball player, and also the John west bear fighting one is cool aswell. I'm from NZ so these ads don't play here but I get to see some of them on those stupid best ad programmes.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by Perci Mac
One good one is kind of a commercial, but more a banner for family guy. The one about the great American family. Everyone is beating each other up. It's pretty funny. Though recently the best commercial I've seen is the converse commercial with the invisible players.

Hell yeah, I second that one.

But for my Fav... I think its either the banned Levi's Commerical with the 'blind guy'

No no no, thats 3ed.

1st is the City Bank commerical where the guy is on the treadmill and he hits his head and gets blown back into a Shelf.... you gotta see it, its great.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
one of the most effective ads I saw was one of the new anti-drug commericials it was logical and not outlandish like most others...

theres a boy about 10-13 yrs old, yeah my brother, he started smoking pot when he was about my age
he never got into heroine
he never got arrested
he never overdosed (more similar to these)
he never really did much of anything, and they show this guy hanging out in a basement of his parent house,

honestyl one of the most effective anti-drug ads i've seen.

3rdpath

macrumors 68000
coors light "wingman"...too funny if you've been there...;)

lyrics
This chick's rockin' your bro on the dance floor.
But she's towing an anchor.
A junior investment banker.
Who's talkin' about herself and not much more.
Oh
So buy her a beer,
its the reason you're here:
Mighty Wingman
You're taking one for the team,
so your buddy can live the dream:
Wingmaaaaaaaaaaaan

:D ;) :D

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Originally posted by 3rdpath

lyrics
Oh
So buy her a beer,
Mighty Wingman
Wingmaaaaaaaaaaaan

funny you should mention said commercial/song

it makes me vomit quite promptly with each time i see/hear it

jbomber

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 24, 2003
Brooklyn - NYC
Originally posted by 3rdpath

lyrics
Oh
So buy her a beer,
Mighty Wingman
Wingmaaaaaaaaaaaan

hehehe. i dig that one too. surprisingly enough, a lot of girls seem to like it as well.

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
Originally posted by tazo
Pardon me if I am still confused but I know there is such a thing as indirect marketing, but there is usually a strategy or a key idea to the campaign. Something this seems to lack or atleast in my eyes

Hey, it worked on me. As soon as I saw that ad I had a hankering for a game of pachinko.

Too bad there aren't any pachinko palaces nearby...
Maybe you would like this one better.

Giaguara

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2002
i like watching the advertisings but i can't recall any good ones recently. maybe some beer advertisings of the latin channels...

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Originally posted by King Cobra
TV: Aflac

Perhaps the iBrator?

On the radio: Sobe

That one is great King Cobra, thank you. I had not seen it before. Great commerical. Brought a smile to my face. Bill Gates gets more than a pie in the face! :p

Dad

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2003
Everywhere I go
VW Cabrio Commercial

It has been a while since it ran, but I really loved that commercial. You might remember it: a bunch of young people driving at night looking at the moon. Meanwhile Nick Drake's "Pink Moon" plays. They eventually arrive at their destination, a party, and some frat boy looks as though he is about to hoark. The riders then decide to leave and go driving. I hate anything to do with cars, but that ad was very special.

idea_hamster

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2003
NYC, or thereabouts
I'm ususally immune to Madison Avenue, but...

There was a commercial for Mercedes that was called "Reincarnation":

It openned with a junked SEL sedan from the 1960's being dropped into a car crusher and a cut to a view from the back seat looking throught the windshield.

As the crusher starts, the windshield cracks and we see a montage of scenes from the car's life -- being bought new, kids playing, sold used, parked in a crappy area of town...

Then the view cuts to driving into a tunnel, and a white light at the end which grows to white out the whole screen ("Go into the light!").

The white fades to reveal white-coated Mercedes engineers rolling a brand new car off of the line.

My reaction to this commercial was inexplicably emotional -- it made me want to actually go out and buy a Mercedes. Incredible.

I called Mercedes and their ad agency to see if I could get a copy, but they couldn't understand that I just wanted to have a copy of their commercial. The ad agency said that it was going to play during the Emmy Awards. I taped the whole show. Nuthin'. Now it's gone...*sniff*...oh, well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.