Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Enjoy. You couldn't pay me to use Face ID.
Touch ID can also be frustrating to use during the winter. Hands get so dried out even if I use hand lotion. Even after rescanning in my finger prints, I find Touch ID will fail again because of the cold effect on my hands. I usually scan in both my thumbs and index fingers.

Last edited:

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Touch ID on the iPhones that had a real mechanical home button (iPhone 5S-6S) worked well enough. But the iPhone 7 and 8 with their fake electronic home buttons blow big time. It's impossible to unlock those those two phones with Touch ID or passcode while wearing any kind of glove.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
Well with 14.5, FaceID is just as good as TouchID with a mask.

How? You mean if you have an Apple Watch too right? Versus Touch ID just by itself working.

It’d be nice to have both. Face ID and Touch ID would make a lot of people happy.

Reactions: snipr125

Madtiger27

Suspended
Nov 17, 2020
How? You mean if you have an Apple Watch too right? Versus Touch ID just by itself working.

It’d be nice to have both. Face ID and Touch ID would make a lot of people happy.
Yes, you need to have BOTH devices for it to work. It works surprisingly well. So, at least, with this, most Apple Watch owners can skip TouchID requirement.

Clarus T. Dogcow

Suspended
Feb 23, 2021
Svanstrom, i dont need to provide any science links to anyone, i have done extensive tests on the OLED display and Face ID, and deduced that Face ID scanners give me eye strain. The OLED display is fine with me when set to 50% brightness and above, but when Face ID is active i get this pressure behind my eyes exactly when Face ID is scanning my face. When i turn Face ID off i get no issues whatsoever. Its fairly simple. I understand that im an in an extreme minority with Face ID.

I will guarantee in a double-blind test you would fail what you "deduce".

You remind me of the "wi-fi sensitive" people who - when under double-blind conditions - can't tell if wi-fi is turned on at all. They actually do worse than the law of averages would suggest.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
I will guarantee in a double-blind test you would fail what you "deduce".

You remind me of the "wi-fi sensitive" people who - when under double-blind conditions - can't tell if wi-fi is turned on at all. They actually do worse than the law of averages would suggest.
Ok Clarus maybe I’m delusional or something, But it’s fine, you clearly know my body's tolerances better than I know it myself, so I’ll just take your word for it that what I ”deduced” is wrong.

Clarus T. Dogcow

Suspended
Feb 23, 2021
Ok Clarus maybe I’m delusional or something, But it’s fine, you clearly know my body's tolerances better than I know it myself, so I’ll just take your word for it that what I ”deduced” is wrong.

Ok, let me spell it out :

It's easy to "predict" or "deduce" something when your finger is on the trigger.

A double-blind test would not let you see or hear when the radiation is emitted, and nobody around you would be able to tell, either. Under exactly those conditions the people who maintained they could detect wi-fi failed. They failed spectacularly and miserably.

There is nothing available through Google that convinces me you would do any better.

Paraphrasing Twain - it's easier to fool you than to convince you that you have been fooled.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.