Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Nobody can predict that just guess on previous releases like yourself.

I read that he iPads will be announced at 7AM Pacific time. As has been done with other iPads, that indicates a release and go - they go live right away. But this is their biggest iPadf update in years, I would be surprised they wouldn't do it with more fanfare.

Reactions: slippery-pete

Itsedstech

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
Kansas
Yeah resale for the higher storage tiers with 5g is always rough. Instead of trading my iPad in I’m gonna order iPhone 11s from total by Verizon. They have a sale right now. Pay about $200 after tax and fees for 2 of them with the mandatory 1 month of service on each. Then just trade them into Apple for $170 each and make a $140 profit of 2. Do 10 of them and make an easy $700, which along with the $1000 initial investment I should be able to get the 11 inch 1tb with 5g using the edu store for just $1000. 🤷‍♂️

• Haha
Reactions: eltoslightfoot

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
Yeah resale for the higher storage tiers with 5g is always rough. Instead of trading my iPad in I’m gonna order iPhone 11s from total by Verizon. They have a sale right now. Pay about $200 after tax and fees for 2 of them with the mandatory 1 month of service on each. Then just trade them into Apple for $170 each and make a $140 profit of 2. Do 10 of them and make an easy $700, which along with the $1000 initial investment I should be able to get the 11 inch 1tb with 5g using the edu store for just $1000. 🤷‍♂️
That is hilariously awesome!

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
I think they're still going to assess it and determine whether your situation qualifies for the $119 price.

Yeah, absolutely.

Their threshold is reported as 80% capacity and from what I see on MR their number is higher than what CoconutBattery says. Sometimes significantly more.

Do you have a link to these user reports? My iPad is just below the threshold on Coconut and I was thinking of getting battery service before selling it on …

Reactions: pdoherty

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
Do you have a link to these user reports? My iPad is just below the threshold on Coconut and I was thinking of getting battery service before selling it on …
There’s some good stuff in this thread:

(I have had a successful $99 replacement but my iPad was 5.5 years old by then and obviously needed it.)

Reactions: the future

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
It wasn't always this way. The last time my iPad was having very bad battery life, I went to the Apple Store where they ran a diagnostic and told me that the battery health was still over 90%, and quoted me a price that was very close to the cost of a new iPad. I am not sure when those numbers came down but I am pretty sure it wasn't the case a year ago. 😛
My battery replacement for the 10.5 iPad was about $137 or so with shipping. I know it is an old iPad but it didn't approach the cost of the closest spec. new one. Maybe it was so old they just wanted to get a replacement refurb. off the shelves???. Note they sent me a refurb with new battery, the one I owned must now be on the refurb. shelf?

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Of course I'm excited about the rumored Magic Keyboard for the upcoming iPad Pro! Forgive silly me for asking, but my M1 iPad Pro has a protective skin installed and that works out great. Of course I'm not going to "skin" the rumored aluminum keyboard that would sit on a desktop.

My question is do you think Apple will put those little rubber pads on the bottom of the aluminum bodied keyboard's bottom. I guess I could do the same. Note on my old iPad, even with the skin, it does slide around a bit on laptop board, and I've even been tempted to add those little rubber/flat feet on the bottom of my M1's Magic Keyboard with trackpad.

Just call me Mr. fussbudget!!! :p

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
I can posit a theory why. For one it's because the M3 kind of sucks. For another it's because to release an iPad now, without the M4, would doom iPads to not be able to take advantage of whatever AI-related functions Apple has in store for the ecosystem for almost another 2 years (since iPads don't get released all that frequently). So, better to take advantage of this window of opportunity and get them up-to-spec with what's coming than have them sit with lower-quality features the phones and computers will have for two years.

Reactions: jazz1 and Ludatyk

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
My question is do you think Apple will put those little rubber pads on the bottom of the aluminum bodied keyboard's bottom. I guess I could do the same. Note on my old iPad, even with the skin, it does slide around a bit on laptop board, and I've even been tempted to add those little rubber/flat feet on the bottom of my M1's Magic Keyboard with trackpad.
I've recently settled on using a keyboard stand (riser) for my Magic Keyboard... I'm really hoping they don't abandon the floating iPad design in favor of the more traditional kickstand method.

But I know people are really clamoring for a larger trackpad and function keys on a new keyboard.

I can posit a theory why. For one it's because the M3 kind of sucks. For another it's because to release an iPad now, without the M4, would doom iPads to not be able to take advantage of whatever AI-related functions Apple has in store for the ecosystem for almost another 2 years (since iPads don't get released all that frequently). So, better to take advantage of this window of opportunity and get them up-to-spec with what's coming than have them sit with lower-quality features the phones and computers will have for two years.
And I think the ones vehemently against the move are more displeased to see the M4 being on the iPad first above all else. If the shoe was on the other foot... it wouldn't be such an out-of-bounds claim.

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
It's a shame; this thread was really positive for a long time but I guess nothing on the internet can stay that way for long. I hope to see many of you in a pre-orders thread on the 7th and that we can earnestly enjoy the arrival of an amazing new gadget.

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
I have a M1 11" and my wife a 2018 11", both working as good as new.
Doubt new ones would make any difference to her uses, I watch a fair bit of video on mine, so maybe will give her mine sell her's and a new 11" for me.

mtngal

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2015
It's a shame; this thread was really positive for a long time but I guess nothing on the internet can stay that way for long. I hope to see many of you in a pre-orders thread on the 7th and that we can earnestly enjoy the arrival of an amazing new gadget.
I just wish I could be one of the posters on a pre-order thread on the 7th! It all depends on ship/delivery dates. At this point, I’m hoping they will be available in stores about a week - 10 days after the 7th, then I would pick one up at an Apple Store.

Reactions: jazz1

Cardiology103

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2024
I have a little Costco credit. Des anyone have a clue about general availability / timeline of the new products through Costco vs. Apple Store?

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I have a little Costco credit. Des anyone have a clue about general availability / timeline of the new products through Costco vs. Apple Store?
3rd party store vs Apple Store? There’s no difference in terms of timeline, when a new product goes on sale they both release them at the same time. But when it comes to general availability… that varies, because Apple limits shipments for 3rd party store.

Reactions: Cardiology103

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
I only want to trade it in because my battery life sucks on the iPad Pro. Is getting a new battery possible from a local iPad repair shop?
I’ve never looked into it, sorry. I assume there are places that open them up and swap batteries.

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
I only want to trade it in because my battery life sucks on the iPad Pro. Is getting a new battery possible from a local iPad repair shop?
Just grab a power bank off Amazon. Along with a 3 ft USB cable or two. It’s what I use for my iPad Pro 10.5 - only cost $35 and keeps the tablet topped off all day.

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
Just grab a power bank off Amazon. Along with a 3 ft USB cable or two. It’s what I use for my iPad Pro 10.5 - only cost $35 and keeps the tablet topped off all day.
That's a good shout. I may do this if software improvements to iPad OS in June are lacking (99% sure they will be). Do you need a certain type of power bank to ensure the iPad charges fast enough?

Wittgenstein's Poker

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2024
(They're being bombarded with questions regarding their AI implementations, with Tim Cook saying he "doesn't want to say too much ahead of the announcements (pauses, looks for the right words) ... in the coming weeks", not specifically WWDC, again all but confirming AI will be part of the iPad announcement :)
Apple CFO Luca Maestri during the Revenue Call "we expect a dubbel digit grow for iPads for the June quarter", as if we needed any further confirmation ;)

Reactions: gusping

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Query. If the new iPad Pro with M4 chip is in fact released, does higher RAM/SSD configurations help get more out of the M4 chip? If so which one of the two upgrades would be more significant?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.