Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
An Alcatel One Touch in 2000 (I was 17). I'm pretty sure it was NZ$299 (about US$150 at the time, I think) including SIM and $20 credit. I'm still using the same SIM and phone number to this day, even though they have "SIM2" now (which I assume is a Vodafone marketing name).

samuraikiss

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2007
Washington, DC
I was 14 and a sophomore in high school. I don't remember what brand or model it was... an ugly Nokia, I think? Two years later, it died, and I got a Sony Ericsson z520a for Christmas. That one passed away a month ago, and I just received an iPhone for the birthday. The best part is that my parents continue to pay for the service contract until I graduate from college as part of the gift! I've had this same phone number for five years now.

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
1998... kinda late really as I didn't actually want one; it was more that I needed one to be able to stay in contact as was travelling a lot with work. I had a Nokia 5110... which is actually still in use by my Mum these days :D

Much as I *hate* Nokia phones, they do seem to last!

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
I had a "Car phone" in 1993 :eek:
I had a horrible brick of a phone in 1996-ish and went without until 1999 when I bought some lousy Nokia thing. Had motorolas (a couple, don't remember) and a RAZR (it sucked) and now have a Sony Ericsson w880i, love it.

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
Londinium
Easy to remember... instead of sorting out a house phone in the first year at Uni, I used it as an excuse to get a Nokia 2010:

The year was 1994. That pic puts it in a good light - that was the slim battery. The standard one was twice as thick, and ran down the entire length, but half the width, of the back.

It cost £1.80 a minute to make calls from it, and if you called me it cost you £1 a minute!! :eek:
My girlfriend at the times mother was not happy :eek:

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
1998/9 I think. It was on my 14th birthday for sure, we went out and bought these huge Motorola things. Year later I got a Siemens M35, then M55 in college, ROKR in university then a RAZR about a year back. I only stick to Motorola and (used to) Siemens. Not keen on how Nokia just throw out a new phone every other week. :eek:

Still got the same phone number from back then too!

For yeeeears I've wanted to get an Xelibri phone, they were quite expensive here and now they're rare they're even more on eBay :eek:

ejb190

macrumors 65816
I got a Motorola 120 in about 2000. That would mean I was about 25 or 26. Never really used the thing, but it was nice to know it was there when I was traveling. I moved and got caught up in an area code split. That forced me to change my number and get a new V60i (really liked that phone).

I currently use a Motorola L6 and have a spare Motorola V557 in the closet. (Got it when I changed services from Cingular to Centennial.) For work I have some kind of LG. Not a pretty phone, but it has taken a 'licken. Batteries are failing now, but a car charger keeps me in business.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Ewww, I remember those! Those things were hanging!

Most were, I'm after the X5 model. It looked like a standard phone but had a beautiful keypad.

xelibri5%20(3).jpg

Sijmen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
Sony Ericsson j200i at some Telfort store here, just over 2 years ago. It was a month and a half or so before my PowerBook 12".

The phone is pretty much falling apart to pieces. The 'joystick' doesn't respond most of the time (for which it was serviced, but it started acting like that some months after that again), the battery sucks even more than it did originally, and the interface is utter crap.

The PowerBook has since got a new screen, backlight, topcase, battery and RAM - but it's still as great as it once was. I do plan on buying a MacBook Pro next september though, as the PowerBook is getting a little underpowered.

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
Londinium
Ewww, I remember those! Those things were hanging!

:eek: I bought an X5 xelibri :eek:

Sorry.

Most were, I'm after the X5 model. It looked like a standard phone but had a beautiful keypad.

xelibri5%20(3).jpg

But it was complete and utter tosh. Immensly slow, had a tendancy to turn itself off for no reason, have periodic bought of intense feedback on voice calls, and the non-standard keypad was a joke for text. The quick release gubbin broke after a couple of months too. I've still got it hidden in a draw somewhere. Don't do it jimmi! :eek:

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
My friend had one too, I kept telling him I'd give me £20 for it but he ended up selling it for a £5 to pay for some emergency petrol :eek:
I know I know it's bad! But the keeeeypad!

Sell me yours :p

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
It was my freshman year of high school so 2004-2005, got a simple Nokia 3120. I didn't text at all and i didn't even call that much, just used it as an "emergency phone" and like something to call my parents with if i needed a ride. I used that for two years until I upgraded some time ago to the Moto KRZR on our still existing AT&T plan.

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
Londinium
My friend had one too, I kept telling him I'd give me £20 for it but he ended up selling it for a £5 to pay for some emergency petrol :eek:
I know I know it's bad! But the keeeeypad!

Sell me yours :p

Hell jimmi, to stop you buying one you can have mine! Seriously! Like I said the clip in section has gone, but the phone is still there and "works"...

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005

:eek: I bought an X5 xelibri :eek:

Oh wow, I don't remember that one. That's kinda "nice" I suppose, if a tad flashy :p I was thinking of those weird ones they used to sell in House of Fraser that looked more like stopwatches or pendants or something. Truly awful!

Ahh yes, this sort of monstrosity:

xelibri.jpg

:barf:

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
Londinium
Oh wow, I don't remember that one. That's kinda "nice" I suppose, if a tad flashy :p I was thinking of those weird ones they used to sell in House of Fraser that looked more like stopwatches or pendants or something. Truly awful!

You're being far too kind - the phone was a huuuuuuuuuge mistake of form over, well, over everything else in the whole world ever and ever and ever and ever and ever... you get that I regret the purchase right ? ;) :eek:

I remember the other phones. Particularly the "voice only" pendant phones. Baaad idea Siemens. No wonder you had to leave the market....

Isn't number 3 a rectal thermometer?

I think you're right. Explains why I think some of the patients here do talk out of their.... well, you get where I'm going....

lofight

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2007
When i was 12 year almost 2 years ago i got a Nokia 3020 , then i liked him, but afterwards it was ugly.. for 100 € :
nokia3020.jpg

then the joystick broke and after living with that for some months i decided after almost 2 years to buy a new one, without camera or all the crappy feautures... so bought a very nice thin one with FM radio for 69€ , actually 79€ but got 10€ for my old one, the Samsung C170:
samsungc170czarny.jpg

but in silver, not black..

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
You're being far too kind - the phone was a huuuuuuuuuge mistake of form over, well, over everything else in the whole world ever and ever and ever and ever and ever... you get that I regret the purchase right ? ;) :eek:

Hence the "nice" :D Though it does still look far better than those other ones.

Isn't number 3 a rectal thermometer?

:D I wouldn't know!

thworple

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2005
Sussex, England
I started off with a Nokia 5110 like others in this thread, back in '99. My friends all pitched in for my birthday, and bought me a PAYG on One2One (anyone remember that UK network?? Bloody annoying TV ads).

Owned 5 other phones between that one and my current iPhone - a Nokia 3210, a Nokia 3310 (which lasted ages, and to this day is still the most resilient phone ever), a Sony Ericsson T60i, a Sony Ericsson K700, and a Sony Ericsson V600i (Vodafone version of the K600i).

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
Was using a huge Motorola brick at 'work' in the mid-late 80's, but got my first mobile in '94. Alcatel summit-or-other. Left it in an EasyRent-a-car in London and got my first Nokia:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.