Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NusuniAdmin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
When do the membership levels change? It seems I have been a regular forever, and I have done about 300 posts. It seems like by now I should be a little higher than a regular.

saabmp3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Tacoma, WA
By the way, you can check the amount of posts you have by looking at your profile. You are at 286 at the time of this posting.

BEN

Applexilef

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2004
Is there any meaning to those numbers at the end of the membership names?. I think the names need to change, maybe something like:

>0 : Ipod Mini
>20 : Ipod
>100 : Ibook G4
>500 : Powerbook G4
>1000 : PowerMac G4
>2000 : Dual 1.8 Ghz
>3000 : Dual 2 Ghz
>4000 : X-Server Rack
>5000 : Brand-Spanking Quad 10Ghz G6
>10000 :Virginia Tech Supercomputer
>20000 : Apple Quantum

What do you think should be the membership names? It'd be pretty cool if it was something really original. Maybe the moderators (Virginia Tech Supercomputers) take a look at this and decide to change them.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Applexilef said:
Maybe the moderators (Virginia Tech Supercomputers) take a look at this and decide to change them.
What the hell are you talking about? :confused: What does membership names have to do with VTech????

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
edesignuk said:
What does membership names have to do with VTech????

I think he was suggesting that under his proposed naming scheme, the moderators should have the rank name of "VA Tech Supercomputer."

themadchemist

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2003
Chi Town
Applexilef said:
Is there any meaning to those numbers at the end of the membership names?. I think the names need to change, maybe something like:

[...]

What do you think should be the membership names? It'd be pretty cool if it was something really original. Maybe the moderators (Virginia Tech Supercomputers) take a look at this and decide to change them.

Most of the current membership titles correspond to old Motorola processors used in Macs before the AIM (Apple-IBM-Motorola) Alliance of the early 90s. The second-to-heighest name, 68040, shares its name with the last of the 68k processors. This marked a major transition for the Macintosh, as the subsequent PowerPC chips required a different compilation of applications. That is why if you look at programs from even the mid-90s, you will often see two version: PPC and 68k. The transition was as dramatic, if not more dramatic, than the OS 9-->OS X transition. The 601 was the first, or one of the first, PPC chip.

I think that the names are great. They are a subtle nod to Apple's history and are gratifying and entertaining to those of who have used Macs since way back then or who have at least kept up with Apple's development. Personally, I think using names referencing contemporary developments in Apple's history would be a little bit trite.

I say we stay with this system. However, with some of our 601's really scaling the heights of post counts, we need to expand it a little. What if we break into the PowerPC era and open up, oh I don't know, a 603? Then 603e and 604, even.

And when we hit the 7xxx series, that'll be exciting.

:edited:

rt_brained

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2002
Creativille
Applexilef said:

>0 : Ipod Mini
>20 : Ipod
>100 : Ibook G4
>500 : Powerbook G4
>1000 : PowerMac G4
>2000 : Dual 1.8 Ghz
>3000 : Dual 2 Ghz
>4000 : X-Server Rack
>5000 : Brand-Spanking Quad 10Ghz G6
>10000 :Virginia Tech Supercomputer
>20000 : Apple Quantum

Hmm, interesting. What else you got?

themadchemist

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2003
Chi Town
saabmp3 said:
haha, I sorta like the new idea. I know it's not as orginal as the old 68k line but it's still fun.

BEN

but it eliminates the ability of veterans of the mac world to lord their knowledge over others...and without that ability, isn't something critical lost? :D

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
themadchemist said:
Most of the current membership titles correspond to old Motorola processors used in Macs before the AIM (Apple-IBM-Motorola) Alliance of the early 90s. The second-to-heighest name, 68040, shares its name with the last of the 68k processors. This marked a major transition for the Macintosh, as the subsequent PowerPC chips required a different compilation of applications. That is why if you look at programs from even the mid-90s, you will often see two version: PPC and 68k. The transition was as dramatic, if not more dramatic, than the OS 9-->OS X transition. The 601 was the first, or one of the first, PPC chip.

I think that the names are great. They are a subtle nod to Apple's history and are gratifying and entertaining to those of who have used Macs since way back then or who have at least kept up with Apple's development. Personally, I think using names referencing contemporary developments in Apple's history would be a little bit trite.

I say we stay with this system. However, with some of our 68040's really scaling the heights of post counts, we need to expand it a little. What if we break into the PowerPC era and open up, oh I don't know, a 603? Then 603e and 604, even.

And when we hit the 7xxx series, that'll be exciting.

There are already a few 601's.

For those keeping count, this thread is #9 that I've seen.

themadchemist

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2003
Chi Town
GeeYouEye said:
There are already a few 601's.

For those keeping count, this thread is #9 that I've seen.

That's what I meant...With the 601's really scaling the heights of post counts...Your correction is noted and I edited my post. Thanks.

Applexilef

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2004
Is it just me or you guys really liked my proposed membership level? . Someone said they were interesting and asked for more, and someone complained that there has to be a way for the vets to display their godly knowledge about Apple. I'm going to have to think of a new membership level that will allow for vets to have a "better" name. In the meantime, can any of you think of another cool membership ladder? :p

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Applexilef said:
In the meantime, can any of you think of another cool membership ladder? :p
It could be based on the code names of the various OS releases over the years, like Gershwin, Coplin, etc. I don't think there is any serious plan to change the ranking system, but go ahead and invent!

themadchemist

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2003
Chi Town
Doctor Q said:
It could be based on the code names of the various OS releases over the years, like Gershwin, Coplin, etc. I don't think there is any serious plan to change the ranking system, but go ahead and invent!

Six words for ya:
Red Box
Yellow Box
Blue Box

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
stoid said:
Just looked at my ID data.

Question.

It looks like some posts count while others do not. Is this correct?

For example, I have 425 posts total however only 340 seem to count towards my official count. Why is there a difference?

TIA,

Sushi

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
posts made in a thread that gets wastelanded will be removed.

if a thread gets political and moves to politics forum, those posts will be removed as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.