Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mindwalkernine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2006
I have a iBook G4 laptop. When I move my iBook, it either freezes up or the Darwin command line interface appears.

What I mean by freezing up is that the mouse doesn't move. The computer will not respond to any keyboard commands, for example 'force quit'.

When Darwin appears, the command line prompt begins at the bottom of the page. There is some sort of cpu crash message that repeats. The message repeats, then stops. It's sort of like a reverse return. It climbs up the screen vs. the usual command line prompt where the next message is displayed below the previous message.

I do a hard shutdown, then restart and everything is fine unless I move the laptop again.

Anyone know what is going on? Is this serious? Should I not use my computer untill it's serviced?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Yes, this is serious, and yes, you should either have it looked at or never move your laptop (which would be unfortunate). As the iBook doesn't have a motion sensor that could be screwing up, the only explanation I can come up with is a short somewhere, and a short anywhere in a computer is a bad thing. I'd remove the battery until you can have it looked at if at all possible.

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
A friends black MB did this. Whenver he lifted it, the screen went blackout, and the computer would turn off. He sent it in for repair, but I never got to ask him what was wrong.:confused:

mindwalkernine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2006
I haven't had it serviced yet, but it seems to move fine without the crash.

It has been raining here in Portland, Oregon quite a bit. I have a TimBukTu bag that keeps the rain out, but could the moisture be getting inside at all? If so, could that make the motion sensor extra sensitive or the hardrive to crash, or are these component totally encapsulated and moisture proof?

szsiddiq

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2005
take it to an apple store if u can...altho the portland store was denied by the townsfolk last time i checked...hopefully thers another near by

sounds like the motion sensor is buggy

jayc

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2008
i had this problem with my g4, i ran out of warranty so got around it by disabling them, not recommended but also shows that it was the motion sensor causing it. did you get a kernel panic? as with mine i did.

to disable open terminal and type in (including spaces) :

sudo pmset -a sms 0

it will ask for admin password, just type in (nothing appears when you type but it does register it) then press return

if you then type:

sudo pmset -g

it will show a list and sms should have a 0 instead of a 1 next to it if not just redo untill it does.

you just have to be extra carefull with your laptop as it doesnt cut the hard drive with suddern movement

hope this helps..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.