Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Waluigi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 29, 2003
Connecticut
What are the key factors that are needed for consumer video cameras and video editing (iMovie) to go HD...and how far away is it?

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
-Waluigi

I'd say when thoose little Toshiba card HD's like the ones used in the iPod get up to about 100MB.

And a sea change in the thinking of sony and all of the tape manufacturers to give up the revenuue stream of those tapes.

idea_hamster

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2003
NYC, or thereabouts
Well, Russian Ark was shot using a specially made hard drive so that they could film the entire movie in one take.

So it's clear that the ability to shoot feature-length films is available -- at least to some.

With raw digital video consuming about 16 GB per hour, a consumer-level hard-drive-based camera might not be too far off.

One question they may have to answer is what does the shooter do when s/he runs out of hd space? MiniDV tapes can be switched out. Would they have a cartrige-type drive? Or would we require the user to off-load the video to a computer?

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
Wait, I think he is talking about High Definition, not storage. In that case, there is already a high def camera in the prosumer level that sounds very nice. I expect maybe 2-3 years we should have high def standard.

P-Worm

Waluigi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 29, 2003
Connecticut
Yes, sorry for the confusion. P-Worm is right, I am talking about High Definition Cameras and editing in iMovie replacing Mini DV as the consumer standard.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Well, if you went directly to HD you'd want a better codec than DV - something that would look much much better. Also, the option to shoot uncompressed would be nice, but that would eat up you HD.

You'd also want the option of swapping out the HDs - so you'd need something new to come along.

I'd say give it a couple years and you'll see sometihng.

D

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
It's nice being right. :cool:

I don't know when iMovie will go high def. That camera I was talking about actually records on mini dv tapes, just you can't fit as much footage on. So that might work in iMovie.

P-Worm

LimeLite

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
Los Angeles, Ca
I don't know why you'd want to use a HD camera for iMovie. If you have enough money for a HD camera, I'm sure you could afford FCP. Also, a correction: It would take about 12GB per hour of digital video. But the only way to make a hard drive feasible for recording would be if you could swap the hard drive, so that if you filled up one, you could swap it out for another, because sometimes you want to film a *lot* of stuff without having to import it to your computer first.

Waluigi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 29, 2003
Connecticut
High Definition, not Hard Drive

I'm asking about when is High Definition going to replace MiniDV, not when are Hard Drive cameras going to replace MiniDV. Consumers will eventually shoot and edit High Definition video, I was just curious what the remaining hurdles were to prevent this.

--Waluigi

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Re: High Definition, not Hard Drive

Originally posted by Waluigi
I'm asking about when is High Definition going to replace MiniDV, not when are Hard Drive cameras going to replace MiniDV. Consumers will eventually shoot and edit High Definition video, I was just curious what the remaining hurdles were to prevent this.

--Waluigi

For the near future forget HDs and Camera recording on a large scale. HDs are still FAR too expensive.

As for HD recording. That is extremely nigh.

JVC HiDef GR-HD1 available this year

Next you get the other Majors like Canon Sharp and Panasonic in on the deal

Universal HiDef standards coming

Adoption of 720p/1080i formats to comply with progressive and interlace specifications for high- definition recording and playback
The HDV format complies with both the 720 scanning lines (progressive)/1280 horizontal pixels 720p format (60p, 30p, 50p, 25p), and the 1080 scanning lines (interlace)/1440 horizontal pixels 1080i format (60i, 50i). This ensures the recording and playback of high-resolution video for the high-definition era.

So there you have it. Within 5 years I expect HiDef Camcorders to match MiniDV cameras in sales. I know I'm earmarking the purchase of one in a few years. The only catch is it sounds like editing HiDef video with a NLE like Final Cut Pro won't be as flexible due to the format. We'll see.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.