Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barvow

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2002
Fort Worth, TX
Have any orders for G4's with the Geforce4 Ti actually been processed and shipped? Or has anyone gotten a realistic shipping date from Apple?

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
Even though I really hate to admit that I am wrong I will do this time, they are not shipping yet, it should be about 40 days according to apples site, take a look at the attached picture

Ensign

Attachments

• specs.gif
    specs.gif
    21.4 KB · Views: 369

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Originally posted by Ensign Paris
Even though I really hate to admit that I am wrong I will do this time, they are not shipping yet, it should be about 40 days according to apples site, take a look at the attached picture

Ensign

Geesh! 40 day build time! Is it the same in the US?

barvow

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2002
Fort Worth, TX
Originally posted by mac15
I though they were out
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

I went on NVIDIA's website and saw that they released the Ti models yesterday, the 18th. So only now could Apple really start building the ordered computers. I wonder what kind of backlog there is so far.

dantec

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
California
Sorry for a little off topic post here:

What I am really waiting for is for ALL G4's to have GeForce 4 Ti's and have the iMac bumped up to a GeForce 4 MX. I really think it is a joke to have an iMac with a GeForce 2 MX, Apple should at least give the choice of adding in as an option of a GeForce 3.

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
Originally posted by dantec

What I am really waiting for is for ALL G4's to have GeForce 4 Ti's and have the iMac bumped up to a GeForce 4 MX. I really think it is a joke to have an iMac with a GeForce 2 MX, Apple should at least give the choice of adding in as an option of a GeForce 3.

yes apple needs to get rid of the mx as an option on the powermacs and put it in the imacs. but we all know how rev a's are im sure the imacs rev b will have all this stuff we are talking about.

the powermac line seems like it is utter chaos with a geforce mx being priced above the ati 7500 when the 7500 is the better card and then having the Ti like $300 more. not much an option if you ask me, but it does seem a bit like apple is just a nvidia's mercy and dont want to piss off such a loyal supplier.

(oh and the geforce Ti HAS shipped to people just not normal consumers so maybe those people werent lying)

dantec

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
California
I expressed my feeling long ago about graphics cards in our "overbloated" discussion (remember ambitiouslemon?) about 15 gig G4's & G5's and why doesn't Apple stick 512 mb of ram in every machine it ships...

I love Apple in every way, but they can improve and really excell against the other Peecee makers. If all the Peecee makers are using DDR ram, and if Apple knows it can't implement that technology for some time, why not pump out 512 mb of ram in every machine... I think it's time for Apple to really get ahead of all the other PeeCee makers!

blakespot

Administrator
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA

This would required the machining and fabrication of two different iMac motherboards. This is a huge deal. Lots of comments I see posted here assume that, on a whim, Apple can do this or that without cost impact. There is a cost to every variation and option that Apple offers, however minute.

The GeForce 2MX is in need of _no_ improvement as a desktop 2D card. As a 3D gaming card it's quite acceptably fast for the average iMac user. Yes, a GeForce 2 Ultra would be much faster, as would a GeForce 3 or 4Ti, but let's keep in mind the market here. Those that are hardcode about gaming on the Mac will spring for the towers.

blakespot

blakespot

Administrator
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
If all the Peecee makers are using DDR ram, and if Apple knows it can't implement that technology for some time, why not pump out 512 mb of ram in every machine...
Becuase it would increase the cost of the G4 or reduce their margins.

blakespot

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
damn no wonder theyre taking so long! i ordered a comp with a geforce4 ti 4400 so no wonder it hasnt been built yet. damn i hate telemarketers! "yes yes that will take a few weeks since geforce 4 ti's are low in stock..." >|

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.