Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrkngclasshero

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2008
Columbia, MD
Got the :apple:TV 2 and I am loving it but there are a few glitches that I have come across (guessing not picked up in beta testing) that I expect will be addressed in the first software update.

1. Grouping by Show: Specifically grouping movies in a series under a single title in the list of movies and grouping multiple seasons under a single show listing, like how :apple:TV1 handled shows.

2. Showing names of subtitle or alternate audio tracks: I like to encode w/ director commentary tracks and I will rename the audio tracks accordingly. The iPad and the :apple:TV1 would both show the names of the audio tracks to differentiate between. :Apple:TV2 just shows the language the track is. (i.e. iPad displays - English (Director Comm) :apple:TV2 displays - English). It is the same with subtitles, no differetion between a closed caption and a forced subtitle track.

3. Subtitles do not display. When watching a movie w/ subtitles on the :apple:TV2 will not always display the subtitles. See more on this error here

All in all I love the :apple:TV2, just kinda hoping these minor errors get sorted out. Love to hear your speculation on when this first software update will be coming.

PurdueGuy

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Got the :apple:TV 2 and I am loving it but there are a few glitches that I have come across (guessing not picked up in beta testing) that I expect will be addressed in the first software update.

1. Grouping by Show: Specifically grouping movies in a series under a single title in the list of movies and grouping multiple seasons under a single show listing, like how :apple:TV1 handled shows.

My :apple:TV2 does this for TV shows. I see
Code:
Roswell
   Season 1
      Episodes
   Season 2
      Episodes
   Season 3
      Episodes

wrkngclasshero

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2008
Columbia, MD
Wow

When I scroll through my TV show I see

How I Met Your Mother
season 4

How I Met Your Mother
Season 3

How I Met Your Mother
Season 2

I have to select the season to see the shows in that season.

stoplis

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2009
Wow

When I scroll through my TV show I see

How I Met Your Mother
season 4

How I Met Your Mother
Season 3

How I Met Your Mother
Season 2

I have to select the season to see the shows in that season.

Mine shows it as:

How I Met Your Mother
Season 2

How I Met Your Mother
Season 1

How I Met Your Mother
Season 4

How I Met Your Mother
Season 3

It's really annoying. I wish it was just:

How I Met Your Mother

Then went to:

Season 1

Season 2

Season 3

Etc.

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
Apple said that all iOS devices will be updated to iOS4.2 in November.

Now we know that the Apple TV is an iOS device, I reckon we'll see an update for it then.

wrkngclasshero

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2008
Columbia, MD
Question Answered....

Apple said that all iOS devices will be updated to iOS4.2 in November.

Now we know that the Apple TV is an iOS device, I reckon we'll see an update for it then.

Wow...

All of a sudden this seems like a total waste of a thread (and i feel pretty dumb). I completely forgot about the promised 4.2 update.

Thanks!!

cavemonkey50

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2007
Allentown, PA
I've also noticed podcasts on my Mac don't get marked as watched after viewing them on my Apple TV. I think that's related to the same "problem" as Apple TV being able to watch videos rented on a computer unlimitedly.

Given the severity of the rental thing from a licensing point of view, I would think we're going to see an iTunes / Apple TV update within a week. While it may not fix everything known right now, an update is certainly imminent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.