Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RobLikesBrunch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
I was syncing my iPhone, unplugged in the middle of a sync, and now the American Heritage Dictionary app is gone, I can't reinstall it from the app store as it thinks it's installed, and when I plug it into my computer, my iTunes tries to back-up the app and then locks up.

How can I manually delete the dictionary from my iPhone? I looked in the Applications folder via SSH, but only jailbreak apps where in that folder...where are app store apps stored?

Thanks.

rocknrolldoggy

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2009
I was syncing my iPhone, unplugged in the middle of a sync, and now the American Heritage Dictionary app is gone, I can't reinstall it from the app store as it thinks it's installed, and when I plug it into my computer, my iTunes tries to back-up the app and then locks up.

How can I manually delete the dictionary from my iPhone? I looked in the Applications folder via SSH, but only jailbreak apps where in that folder...where are app store apps stored?

Thanks.

Same thing is happening to me. I upgraded from a jailbroken 2.2.1 to 3.0. I had my games in a folder through Categories. I then downgraded to 2.2.1 and jailbroke, but the games don't show up on my iPhone. If I try to re-download the games OTA, it says already installed.

dZp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
where are app store apps stored?

App Store apps are stored in //private/var/mobile/Applications/ directory. Each app is then is a folder named with a bunch of letters and numbers. You can either use an FTP client and browse through all those folders until you find the one that contains the app you want, or go the quick route and use Terminal (I'm on OS X), SSH to your iPhone and then to find where an application is stored, type :
Code:
find /var/mobile/Applications -iname AppName.app

where AppName is the name of the application. You can also use the " * " wildcard if you don't want to type the entire application name!

Try :
Code:
find /var/mobile/Applications -iname American*.app

/EDIT/
Just noticed that the original post dates back from January. lol

To rocknrolldoggy,
try
Settings > General > Restrictions > Enable, then Disable
to see if your icons show up.

dude43

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2015
App Store apps are stored in //private/var/mobile/Applications/ directory. Each app is then is a folder named with a bunch of letters and numbers. You can either use an FTP client and browse through all those folders until you find the one that contains the app you want, or go the quick route and use Terminal (I'm on OS X), SSH to your iPhone and then to find where an application is stored, type :
Code:
find /var/mobile/Applications -iname AppName.app

where AppName is the name of the application. You can also use the " * " wildcard if you don't want to type the entire application name!

Try :
Code:
find /var/mobile/Applications -iname American*.app

/EDIT/
Just noticed that the original post dates back from January. lol

To rocknrolldoggy,
try
Settings > General > Restrictions > Enable, then Disable
to see if your icons show up.

dude43

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2015
Where do i find the //private/var/mobile/Applications/directory. And do i need a jailbroken phone to do so?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.