Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
The iPhone has its Incase Slider and Incipio Feather, among many others...massively popular cases that pretty much nail what people want in a case.

So where are the killer iPad cases? iPhone case designs don't really translate. A slider seems kind of dumb; a back-only shell isn't protective enough.

The Apple case is the front runner, and at least on this board, the Yoobao pleather case is up there in buzz, with the Belkin grip vue and Macally Bookstand as runners up. I personally ordered the upcoming Yoobao Executive Folio, and have the Apple case in the mean time.

But come on, really? That's all we have so far? Apple's thoughtfully designed but not very cushioned cover, which gets too dirty too fast, and a random PU case by an unknown company?

The Apple case is decent, but to me it really feels like a stopgap until something a bit more refined comes along. I have a feeling the average person is buying it mostly because the price is right and it's right there in the store where they buy their iPad.

The usual suspects; InCase, Griffin, Macally, Sena, etc., all have case offerings, but none ring out "I'm the killer case!". The people have spoken...they want their case to fold into a wedge shape. The Chinese ebay factory direct sellers seem to get this, but Western design houses keep trying to peddle their book style cases and silicone covers.

Whoever can out-Apple the Apple case is going to clean up and print money. It needs to be simple. The simplicity will make it stylish. No funny picture frame legs. No wonky elastic straps. Enough padding without making the iPad twice as thick. Quality material, be it leather, PU, or something else, with precise cutouts, smooth even stitching, or maybe even better, heat welded seams. No metal snaps that can scratch. No strong magnetic latches, but no freely flapping covers either. A reliable steady system of folding the flap back to create a stand, with more pitch than the Apple case, and a fast easy way to get it folded flat again.

Someone will make it and make bank. Apple's case doesn't deserve the popularity. There is room for a new must have case.

I think we're gonna see a revamp of several companies' lines within a month or two, with a lot more wedgies popping up from the more established manufacturers, and a lot of very cheap book cover style cases on closeout.

macswitcha2

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2008
Yeah...good question...

I think it depends on what someone wants, is it style, is it mere protection, functionality? What?

I personally am looking for all three in one but more in regards to protection and function.

So what are the killer cases for the iPad?

ram8727

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2010
I've wondered the same thing, but it's all about personal preference. The iPad is so much larger than iPhone so sleeves will become more popular. I'm addicted to cases and do reviews on iPhone cases (some iPad cases so far), but I appreciate the design of the iPad. I like it "naked" with some sort of sleeve.

risalvor

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2010
Narragansett, RI
I'm glad I'm not the only one in this boat. I've been scratching my head for the last month, thinking I was missing something. Going from site to site, looking at all the offerings, amazed that the selection is so generic and underwhelming.
In addition, not only is there a distinct lack of "wow" with the current cases on the market, but the Apple Store's seeming inability to stock anything but their own case (when you can find it), and a wide selection of overpriced neoprene sleeves is simply unfathomable.
Like any good Mac Fanatic, I'm an accessory junkie. Show me some cases, some extras, some ANYTHING, and you won't be sorry. I'll buy two of everything.

Jmacman78

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2007
Northwest, CT
I have to agree with you guys.

I am currently using Apple's case and I bought the Candyshell and while I really liked it, I found that it just wasn't the best case for me and I went back to Apple's case. I have yet to see anything else that makes me go "wow I gotta have that case".

I was an iPhone case junky, there we so many iPhone cases out there I could never decide which ones I wanted and always switched them up.

The iPad case offerings have definitely been underwhelming so far.

robin1989

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2006
Warrington, UK
so far the stand out cases for me that i have seen on sites and now ordered are the apple case and the dodo case. but i could definatly see an area for improvement in them. like what i would love would be a combination of the 2 the quality and sturdyness of the dodo case with its bamboo holder and the leather of the apple case. a high quality leather version of the dodo case would suit me down to the ground

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
It seems to me that manufacturers at this point in time are trying to cash in on the initial rush of iPad purchases without much thought about how the iPad will be used on a daily basis.

And because the iPad is being used in a variety of ways, there will be numerous "killer cases" for each of those uses. A goldmine for any company that is eagerly listening.

I like the functionality of the Apple case, but not the style or form. At the moment, Macally Bookstand offers a better style and form.

For me a "killer case" is a backless cover to protect the screen with a slim hinge that clips on to the left edge of the iPad. (no need to protect the back of the device... a clear skin would be helpful for better grip) That cover could then fold back behind the device for tablet use, or partially back as stand.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Currently using the Incase Slip Sleave until my DODOCASE arrives.

There's already a thread for "what case are you using?". Agree with me, or disagree, and say why, but let's not waste more bandwidth with another list of case names that people have.

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
It may be too soon to compare case selections for the iPad to those for the iPhone. The iPhone has been around for a while, and there are so many potential buyers for accessories.

Buy a case that you can tolerate for a while, and then wait for new ones to come out.

sammyman

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2005
Whoever can out-Apple the Apple case is going to clean up and print money. It needs to be simple. The simplicity will make it stylish. No funny picture frame legs. No wonky elastic straps. Enough padding without making the iPad twice as thick. Quality material, be it leather, PU, or something else, with precise cutouts, smooth even stitching, or maybe even better, heat welded seams. No metal snaps that can scratch. No strong magnetic latches, but no freely flapping covers either. A reliable steady system of folding the flap back to create a stand, with more pitch than the Apple case, and a fast easy way to get it folded flat again.
closeout.

I think it is totally a matter of opinion. I also prefer something simple, without wonky straps, etc. I found one that I like here:

I didn't want magnets, or straps. I wanted something simple and protective. This one holds the iPad in well without straps, and I like the simple design. Feels very protective, and reasonably slim. I have gotten a few compliments already even though I don't take it out much.

dustinl4m3

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F8N378ttCLR-APL-iPad-Grip-Case/dp/B003GQRUJE

21b1cq8Nw4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

+

http://www.amazon.com/STM-Jacket-Laptop-Screens-Black/dp/B003FMU320

41Pt1z7IyqL._AA300_.jpg

I prefer the thin feel of the Belkin case, and for portability the STM bag has a shoulder strap and doesn't look that much like a purse.

It really depends on how and where you will use the device. A one-size-fits-all solution will not fly.

JayMysterio

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
I have to agree with you guys.

I am currently using Apple's case and I bought the Candyshell and while I really liked it, I found that it just wasn't the best case for me and I went back to Apple's case. I have yet to see anything else that makes me go "wow I gotta have that case".

I was an iPhone case junky, there we so many iPhone cases out there I could never decide which ones I wanted and always switched them up.

The iPad case offerings have definitely been underwhelming so far.

Interesting. I went the complete other way. I used my Apple case for the longest, but I found my taking the IPad out & putting it back in tiring. Now I have an IFrogz Luxe, and really like that. I've gotten used to not having the cover I loved so much on the Apple case. I just like being able to grab my protected IPad, and get right to using it.

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
Belkin grip - I ain't paying $50+ for a plastic shell.
I think the Apple case is the best out there overall. but I agree the case selection nowhere meets the quality and use of the iPad. I partly blame Apple for not letting (m)any manufacturers have ipads or replicas to pre-design on.

I expect more to come from Power support, but they have no teasers on their site. their leather sleeve is, well, a sleeve. and I think Macally can do better.

I want cases for different uses, almost naked around the house (grippy skins and/or sleek shells), portfolio cover for sharing/public use, and strap case for carrying around. etc. I already tried 5 diff cases, the Apple is still my go to.

oghowie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
I believe the 2 cases you listed (Slider and Feather) came out after the release of the 3G, so they had time to refine and make sure the design worked well with actual production phones before the release. I think that is why there are so many complaints about fit on the iPad cases.

I bet we'll see better iPad cases towards the end of this year.

Cartaphilus

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2007
The iPhone has its Incase Slider and Incipio Feather, among many others...massively popular cases that pretty much nail what people want in a case.

So where are the killer iPad cases? .

It certainly is a matter of personal preference and price tolerance, but the Piel Frama I'm using would be difficult for me to find fault with. Of course, I also thought Pong was the killer app...

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 103
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 92
  • photo3.jpg
    photo3.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 100
  • photo5.jpg
    photo5.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 105
  • photo4.jpg
    photo4.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 115

Cuechick

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2010
So Cal
I have not seen Oberon mentioned here yet but they do beautiful work. I had one for my Kindle, they are a little on the heavy side for me. Still, really nice and very different from what else is out there. I am so sick of all the black!

5885.jpg

awmazz

macrumors 65816
Jul 4, 2007
attachment.php

I'm guessing they decided to leave the hole there so you'll be able to use this case for the next gen iPad when it comes out with a front-facing camera. ;)

I'm generally not keen on cases that detract from the look of the iPad by covering the front bezel to hold it in, but this one in your pics does a better job than all the others I've seen. You can tell the difference with European hand-cut and quality leather goods just by looking at it.

Cartaphilus

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2007
attachment.php

I'm guessing they decided to leave the hole there so you'll be able to use this case for the next gen iPad when it comes out with a front-facing camera. ;)

That's exactly what I thought as well until someone pointed out to me that the cutout accommodates the light sensor that actuates the auto-brightness function. But if there's a retrofit for a front-facting camera, I'm all ready. :)

awmazz

macrumors 65816
Jul 4, 2007
You're absolutely right, I forgot all about the sensor being there, sorry!

joleel7

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2008
It certainly is a matter of personal preference and price tolerance, but the Piel Frama I'm using would be difficult for me to find fault with. Of course, I also thought Pong was the killer app...

Can't agreed more.. I really like my black color version of Pielframa.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.