Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
A co-worker just went into labor. Or her water broke. Whatever would lead her to say "I'm gushing," while gesturing to the sweater tied to her waist. She didn't seem to be in pain and was laughing about the fact that her husband was five minutes away from the office to take her to the Dr.

So, I was wondering about the pain thing. I would prefer to hear from mothers, but fathers who consult with the mothers may be a somewhat adequate alternative. I thought it was like a water baloon and the pain starts as soon as it pops - so the pain level doesn't change too much (with the "gush" greasing the path like really good mexican food). The wife (not a mother), says that the pain builds, but the beginning is the panic stage (especially for "newbies") - although the co-worker is having her first. She probably has a better grasp, but I would like to know how this whole process works.

So, what's the deal? How does the pain work in the last part of baby-making? What does my wife have to look forwards to and when am I going ot be cowering in a corner as she threatens to make sure that I can't ever do that to her again?

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2004
I say (based on my sister's experience) that it's mainly uncomfortable (slightly painful during the contractions) up to the point where you really start having to push the baby through the birth canal. It can't possibly feel good pushing a watermelon through a hole the size of a grapefruit, but that's just a guess. I'm all for bringing on the painkillers/epidural....

Electro Funk

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2005
The Opium Garden
floriflee said:
It can't possibly feel good pushing a watermelon through a hole the size of a grapefruit, but that's just a guess. I'm all for bringing on the painkillers/epidural....

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I think i need some pain killers just thinking about that... :D

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2004
Electro Funk said:
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I think i need some pain killers just thinking about that... :D

Tell me about it. I've been on muscle relaxers for the last month and it still makes me tight just thinking about it. *shivers* It's a good things other parts of the process of having kids makes you forget about the pain of getting to the end result. :D

riciad

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2005
Ireland
It's impossible to predict how any particular woman, (at least we don't have to be PC in this discussion and say person), will react to labour or to explain why some women do not seem to experience as much pain as others.

floriflee said:
It can't possibly feel good pushing a watermelon through a hole the size of a grapefruit, but that's just a guess.

I can only speak for myself, and some people to whom I've said this are disinclined to believe me, but I found the experience induced a sensation very close to orgasm. And, yes, I am talking about the time period prior to the baby's actual emergence not the feeling you get when you hold your baby for the first time.

Never had any painkillers or epidurals and all of them were good sized babies with one being a 10lb 4oz breech.

No way would I have had as many as I did if I was going through torture each time. I'm no masochist.

P.S. Just noticed the title of the thread after I posted. Does nbs need some education, floriflee?

Chuckles

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2006
When I saw the title of this thread, I thought we had a 10 year old on here. XD

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
My cousin-in-law said that the contractions (after her water broke) felt like the worst cramps she had ever experienced...

times 100!

:eek:

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
floriflee said:
I'm all for bringing on the painkillers/epidural....

Even Tom ("Let's do this naturally and quietly or not at all") Cruise said if Katie wants an epidural, that's fine ... she can have whatever she needs to help cope with pain and discomfort. How magnanimous of Mr. C.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
A couple of years ago I met up for a drink and catch up with one of my old University lecturers, and the discussion of tooth abscesses came up (because I was having problems with one of my teeth after a botched job by a dentist).

Now, the pain of a tooth abcess is incredible... soooooooooooooooooooo painful, seering, throbbing pain... that lasts for several days, and that even prescription pain killers can only slight take the egde off for 15-20 minutes at a time, and the pain seemingly magnified because of it's location.

My lecturer who has 3 children said that she'd had a tooth abscess and that the pain was more severe than she'd experienced with child birth, and that even though child birth was bad, the tooth abscess was worse.

Though I seem to recall that even a tooth abscess paled in comparison to ripping my bottom lip clean in two, and clean snapping my radius and ulna bones in my right arm. *shudders*

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
riciad said:
P.S. Just noticed the title of the thread after I posted. Does nbs need some education, floriflee?

Yes, yes, yes.... I love it when my wife educates me on this subject.:D

It was just an attempt at humor and I thought it would be a catchy title. :rolleyes:

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2004
iGav said:
A couple of years ago I met up for a drink and catch up with one of my old University lecturers, and the discussion of tooth abscesses came up (because I was having problems with one of my teeth after a botched job by a dentist).

Now, the pain of a tooth abcess is incredible... soooooooooooooooooooo painful, seering, throbbing pain... that lasts for several days, and that even prescription pain killers can only slight take the egde off for 15-20 minutes at a time, and the pain seemingly magnified because of it's location.

My lecturer who has 3 children said that she'd had a tooth abscess and that the pain was more severe than she'd experienced with child birth, and that even though child birth was bad, the tooth abscess was worse.

Though I seem to recall that even a tooth abscess paled in comparison to ripping my bottom lip clean in two, and clean snapping my radius and ulna bones in my right arm. *shudders*

:eek: *shudders*

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
My water never broke, I never went into labor. I did have 2 c-sections though. I wish that I could have had the experience of labor, once the day is over and the baby is born, that's pretty much it. Women are up and around and feel back to normal by the end of the week.

With a c-section, its weeks of intense pain. It's difficult to nurse, the pain made me cry many nights when I couldn't get up to get the baby myself.

Even through the pain, it was the most beautiful experience in the world. I didn't experience post partum depression and I was, especially after the pain went away, experiencing the opposite of depression. I can't describe the feeling to anyone that doesn't have a child. Having a child is an amazing thing and people who never have kids will never know the level of joy that they can bring to your life.

It also makes you appreciate your parents more. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.