Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
newsgroups.

alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.2000s

alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.full_albums

alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.complete_cd

alt.binaries.sounds.mp3

those are my favorites.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
I've never gone to newsgroups for them...I take it u make good progress??

I've been using Limewire...which works well when it does...but too often I've found lately I cannot pull any decent searches up...and whenever I do they time-out... :rolleyes:

that being said....I'm looking for something new to satisfy my cravings... ;)

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
if you are just mp3 prowling for nothing in particular, newsgroups are an amazing resource. you have to get your ISP's server settings and such. there is a learning curve to how the whole thing works, but its worth it. I use Thoth as a newsreader.

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
Yeah, I use Limewire too. It's alright for short (i.e. music) downloads, but anything over 20Mb and it choaks. And I have cable. :rolleyes:

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
Limewire is free. Don't go for the pro version. The only difference between that and the basic (free) version is absence of banners. Get the 2.4 LimewireBasic here

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
Re: Where do You get MP3s

Originally posted by DavPeanut
I have Sputnix, but it never works. What should I use?

You can delete Sputnix. The network which provided the songs has been shut down...I shed a tear just thinking about AG.

crassusad44

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2001
Scandinavia
Acqusition. You'll lots more than you can download, but hey, it's gnutella... At least it's better than Limewire...

I'm waiting for giFT though....

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
I'm looking out for Drumbeat, as someone had recommended. Currently, Limewire has been an average app to use, but not excellent. However, in some occasions, it has saved my ash. :eek:

What is Acqsition like? Has anyone else tried it?

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Originally posted by hitman
Yeah, I use Limewire too. It's alright for short (i.e. music) downloads, but anything over 20Mb and it choaks. And I have cable. :rolleyes:

I'm starting to have that problem on 5-8 MB downloads...it'll get to 75% and lose it...

very frustrating... :mad:

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
On my OS 9 version with my iMac 233 I lose downloads extremely easily, even after 3MB. On my OS X Cube at home in NJ I can get 2-digit MB files done in one shot, with 28.8Kb modem. :eek: Lucky me... :cool:

stromie952

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2002
Rochester, NY
Although Limewire is maybe the one and only program that can take down my Quicksilver 733 with 1.5 GB of RAM, it is still the best program for mp3's.

I have gotten a lot of them off of Limewire, probably over a thousand.

But, I would love to see Aquisition become a better program because it is OS X native and wouldn't crash at all.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Guys, isn't talking about downloading mp3s illegal on the site? I know talking about P2P programs shouldn't be, but I thought talking about song downloads over the internet was illegal. (I wasn't talking about downloading mp3s in my previous post, but downloads in general.) Correct me on this, if I am wrong.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
We are not allowed to talk about the specifics, but we can generalize, for example, I use KaZaA on my PC to download MP3z, it's the best!

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
All right then. I'll stay general.

I do know of a freshman at Pascack Hills (confused? profile...), who uses Morhpeous (sp) to get his files. However, he says he has troubles finding songs from [a band]. I know that on Limewire I can find a lot of what I am looking for.

Again, guys, how does Acqusition work compared to Limewire? I would like to look into it soon.

peterjhill

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle, WA
I get all my mp3s from my CD collection. I had to stop importing them, as my iTunes folder is 15GB now. I am looking at getting an external firewire HD to offload some of my less favorite albums from my Ti800 HD.

It is easier for me to buy the music I want, rather than d/l it from somewhere. Besides, someone has to pay for music ;-) I think that people who actually create content that other people want should get paid for each person who has a copy of it. If I was a photographer, author, film producer, musician, poet, artist, game developer, I would want to make money in accordance to the demand for my content. I find it interesting that the makers of Limewire are selling ads, making money, by providing the means of people to acquire content that they have no intention of rewarding the original artist. Maybe artists can start accepting Paypal from anonymous people who want to give money to the creators. It is not like the labels would be happy though. They want their cut for promoting the artists and manufacturing the product and shipping it throughout the distribution channel.

I do think the labels are raping both the artists and the listeners. We all know how cheap it is to make our own cd's, even one-off's. With the bulk burners and specialized printers for printing out the liners and inserts, the manufacturing costs have to be pretty small. What are we paying for, cocaine for the record execs?

I remember when CD's came out, I thought about what would come along next. I thought they would come on chips, but didn't imagine storing thousands of songs in something the size of a pack of cards.

The whole music distribution thing needs to be rethought. I appreciate a good CD insert. I just picked up Red Hot and Rio last night, and it had a very nice insert with pictures, lyrics, etc. I am not ready to go completely digital with my music purchases. I do not need a physical CD though. I would be just as happy with the right to download an album in my choice of MP3 or AAC at various bit rates (important, because if you don't have the original music, but want a 64kbit version for a portable mp3 player, you do not want to downsample an already compressed file.) I want the right to download the songs as many times as I want. I would accept some kind of fingerprinting of the music, as long as the quality was not diminished AT ALL, so that they could track down the people who put the songs out for P2P downloading. Not that it would be long until someone hacked it (CSS cough).

ShaolinMiddleFinger

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2001
I'm with Verbose. I use Kazaa on my PC....one of the few good reasons to have one I guess....

Acquisition looks cool, though. Is it just for OS X? How many people are on it. I'll download it at work and see what happens

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
Originally posted by King Cobra
WARNING: The article listed below (provided by Nipsy) contains some profane language. Use at your own risk.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/26112.html

I don't see what the article has to do with mp3 sharing, except for a small blurb of advanced vocabulary in the first paragraph.

Profanity???
[edit: Ahh yes, there is one occurance of a more lively verion of 'brainhump', as well as a 'Deity water stopping device']

I posted a link to that article because I think it is important for us to be aware of why AG and Napster are gone, and how the companies that attacked them want to further their control of our content and out hardware.

When we took P2P for granted, it got shut down. We take the computer's ability to rip to mp3 for granted... We take the computers ability to watch DVD for granted...

As much as I love my mp3s, and finding new ones, it is most important to ensure that consumer outcry prevents hardware disabling our rights to fair use.

Just making everyone aware that there is a slippery slope...

spuncan

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2001
Detroit
Hmm generalize unka
I use hotline which unfortunatly is a dying community theres a really good server that used to be listed on the macmusic tracker that went down. Unfortunatly I can't give u its address but i could through e-mail
I h8 limewire or gnutella based things because of their very low quality of its music.

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Originally posted by ShaolinMiddleFinger
I'm with Verbose. I use Kazaa on my PC....one of the few good reasons to have one I guess....

Acquisition looks cool, though. Is it just for OS X? How many people are on it. I'll download it at work and see what happens

I dont know how many peeps are on it. But when I searched for "Big Tymers" i got over 450 results REALLY quick. And I searched for MP3, and got about 4500 results in 15 seconds

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.