Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Celerondon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 17, 2013
Southern Cal
This interesting web site provoked some questions.

1 How risky is it to leave WebGl turned on in Safari? Some other popular browsers seem to have it on by default.

http://sci.esa.int/where_is_rosetta/

Safari seemed to load and run this page more efficiently than Chrome or Firefox. My mini did not spin the fan up so much after I decided to enable WebGl to try Safari for this page. In fact, the difference between Safari and the other two browsers was more than 1000 RPM.

2. Is this effect unique to my 2012 i7 or if other users encounter similar differences on power hungry pages?

3. How do dual core machines perform with this website? I wonder if a 2014 Mac mini will benefit from improved video performance or suffer any deficit because of CPU configuration.

Use your mouse to tilt the plane of the Solar System and provide a different view. That comet has this mini humming.

Last edited:

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
Hmmm

2012 mini 2.3 Windows 8.1 - stumbles a lot, very jerky.

2012 mini 2.6 Yosemite 0 - very smooth, occasionally a stumble or two.

2012 MBP 2.3 Yosemite 0 iGPU only - very smooth, occasional stumble.

2012 MBP 2.3 Yosemite 0 - activates dGPU, supersmooth.

Thanks a lot Apple for not including the cheepo MBP 2.3 dGPU as an option for the 2012 quad mini.:mad:

Celerondon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 17, 2013
Southern Cal
Enabling WebGL in Safari

It's barely usable on my 2009 Mini. How do you enable WebGl?

M.

This procedure is fairly straightforward. When running Safari, go to the Safari menu bar and select Safari/Preferences. In Preferences click the Advanced gear icon on the upper right section of the control window. Then click the "Show Develop menu in menu bar" check box at the bottom of the Advanced window. After this procedure is complete you can close Preferences and click Enable WebGL at the bottom of your new Develop menu column.

Celerondon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 17, 2013
Southern Cal
Cool Nerd

Fascinating website. Runs on my iPad. Amazing to see the circuitous path the probe wove through the solar system. Hard to believe that after a decade it landed bang on target!

I plan to try it on my Gen 1 iPad. The path is indeed fascinating. I can play with that page for ages.

Thanks for posting that interesting link! Dr. Taylor seems to be the real deal. With his "bricklayer father" and unveiled tattoos he has generated even more interest around this intriguing story.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.