Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dutkutug

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2011
Hi to All,

Has anyone searched for any user accessible stored information regarding the mbp airport extreme card's country code with the associated wireless network. I mean where does the information AboutThisMac/MoreInfo/SystemReport/Wifi gui read from? Kernel logs? Airport extreme card's chip?

Ultimately is it possible to reset or fix wifi country code change due to a faulty 802.11d beacon (inaccessible and misconfigured) by using unix style command line tools like _airport or _networksetup.

Thanks.

twintin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Sweden
No it is not possible as far as I know. The only way is to changed your router (change setting or buy a new one). If the problem is caused by one of your neighbours routers, changing channel may resolve your issue.

I had a similar issue close to two months ago. My problem was that my router correctly sent SE as country code, but some of my neighbours routers sent GB as country code and from time to time my Air would not connect since it picked up the beacon from one my of neighbours routers. Sometimes event if connected, I still could not reach the internet. Spent a couple of weeks with Apple support and they suggested that I changed the channel of my router (an Airport Extreme Base Station) from Auto to 6 (in Auto ch 11 was used) and since then no more issues with wrong country code being configured.

I have since then sent a suggestion to Apple support to add an option in OS X, so users have better control over the country code usage since there seem to be lot of misconfigured routers out ther (most probably bough in foreign countries with differen country codes). This can cause lot of headaches.

Last edited:

throttlemeister

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2009
Netherlands
Hi to All,

Has anyone searched for any user accessible stored information regarding the mbp airport extreme card's country code with the associated wireless network. I mean where does the information AboutThisMac/MoreInfo/SystemReport/Wifi gui read from? Kernel logs? Airport extreme card's chip?

Ultimately is it possible to reset or fix wifi country code change due to a faulty 802.11d beacon (inaccessible and misconfigured) by using unix style command line tools like _airport or _networksetup.

Thanks.
The country code is broadcasted by the router/ap afaik, not set by the client.

dutkutug

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2011
First of all thank you for fast replies.

Twintin: Exactly the same issue! I have been scanning the wifi networks for almost a week. One of my neighbor has a wireless router misconfigured as "AL". It is not only blocking me (and most probably others) but also violating the frequency space. Unfortunately, I have a netgear n900 (conform to US channels) wireless router that does not offer any beacon interval setting and country/region change. Hence I am stuck at lower channels of 5ghz which in turn leads to range problems.

throttlemeister: I am certainly aware of that and I need to fix my "listening" channels from changing.

Any other thoughts ??

twintin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Sweden
Have you tried different channel as I suggested ? Worth a try since it worked for me as strange as it msy sound.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.