Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
after steve said on D that .mac hasn't lived up to its potential i renewed my .mac. i didn't want to but had too much going on to worry about changing e-mail and storage. and i expected a complete revamp of .mac. what i got is another hour where mail was down because the changed the design of the apple website. come on, if you are not able to improve the features then make it at least reliable!

i hope enough people cancel their subscription to make apple notice that the service is not optimal. but it seems a phone gets more attention than computer related stuff.:mad:

Squonk

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2005
after steve said on D that .mac hasn't lived up to its potential i renewed my .mac. i didn't want to but had too much going on to worry about changing e-mail and storage. and i expected a complete revamp of .mac. what i got is another hour where mail was down because the changed the design of the apple website. come on, if you are not able to improve the features then make it at least reliable!

i hope enough people cancel their subscription to make apple notice that the service is not optimal. but it seems a phone gets more attention than computer related stuff.:mad:

I just bought my renewal from Amazon, although I haven't typed in the code yet. I was hoping for a big splash @ WWDC, but zippo. I do believe in my heart that there is a revamp coming for .mac. I'll stick with it for one more year...prove me right :apple:

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
so i got this e-mail from apple telling me that the .mac tab is gone and there is a convenient link to the .mac login under the mac tab. bs, .mac got degraded one step further. took me a minute to even find the login link on the lower left side. maybe apple slowly gets out of the .mac business and only keeps stuff necessary for leopard functionality. the rest gets moved to google mail or yahoo or dropped or i'm paranoid? whatever, .mac develops in the wrong direction.....

Apple <News@InsideApple.Apple.com>
Subject:
An important message for .Mac customers.
Date:
June 13, 2007 05:04:29 PM EDT

Dear .Mac Member: If you're accustomed to clicking the .Mac tab at Apple.com to log in, you'll notice some changes to the site on your next visit. You'll now find a convenient .Mac login link under the new Mac tab. As always, the easiest and fastest way to log in to your .Mac account is to go straight to http://www.mac.com. Please bookmark it for future reference. Take some time to explore the new Apple.com, and thank you for being a .Mac customer. Sincerely, The .Mac Team

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
so i got this e-mail from apple telling me that the .mac tab is gone and there is a convenient link to the .mac login under the mac tab. bs, .mac got degraded one step further. took me a minute to even find the login link on the lower left side. maybe apple slowly gets out of the .mac business and only keeps stuff necessary for leopard functionality. the rest gets moved to google mail or yahoo or dropped or i'm paranoid? whatever, .mac develops in the wrong direction.....

I highly doubt that Apple would drop or phase out .mac. I still believe that there is a lot of potential to the service. My thought was that Apple could be attempting to tighten the bond between .mac and the computer, provide a service that is fluid and easy to use, without effort or thought. Also, a lot of iWeb's features only really work with .mac so I think it will be important for Apple to keep it around and develop it further.

But then what do I know? I usually go to mac.com when I need to get my mail so I had even forgotten that there was a .mac tab. Still, I agree that it does move .mac into the shadows for now.

macpluslaptop

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
My .mac subscription was due to expire on June 10th and I let it lapse. I ended up using it only for backing up (until reach the .mac storage limit, pretty quickly) and syncing Safari bookmarks on my 2 computers, and while that was convenient I can do it myself in a minute or two if I take the trouble. I did like Backup, but not for $100 a year. .Mac was orphaned a long time ago, and unless it comes back with a "make a latte" option, I won't spend any more $$$ on it.

A Ferrari pricetag for Corolla services, you might say.

ob81

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
I had it up to here for a very long time with .mac. Had I not relied so strongly on the email address, I would have dumped it a long time ago. It has so much potential, its a shame that it gets no attention.
I doubt there is a .mac "team" also. I mean, come on, a one man team could make at least SOME improvements after years of the same concept. I think they will keep it running until people gradually shy away from it.

I think they have just enough people renewing subscriptions to make some sort of minor profit off of it, thus they just keep it going.

I agree with that other guy though, .mac did get minimized with the new apple website update though.
sigh

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.