Where to buy new mainboards?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by snooziums, May 28, 2004.

1. snooziums macrumors regular

Apr 30, 2004
    Evergreen State

I wanted to know where does one buy new Macintosh mainboards? I wan thinking about buying a new G4 mainboard to replace my Power Computing 604e mainboard in my computer (since it will not go beyond Mac OS X 10.2). I already know how to modify the clear case so that a G4 mainboard will fit (I do not know how to do it with the G5 mainboard).

I checked the Apple store and Apple tech support, however they were not able to give me any answers. I do not want a used one off of eBay. I want a brand new one.

Anyone know where to buy a new mainboard then?
  2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

Jul 23, 2002
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    You can't really. The best you can do is buy a new Mac, pull mb, and part out the rest.
  3. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Jul 6, 2003
    Los Angeles
    If Apple won't sell you one and you don't want a used one from Ebay I think you're pretty much out of luck. Are you very good friends with any Apple techs?
  4. allroy macrumors member

Mar 10, 2004
    check here

Probably not new, but the best you're gonna get
  5. luke_s macrumors member

Jan 24, 2003
  6. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

May 2, 2003
    Home of Al-Qaida
    Mobo upgrade for a Mac? WTF, this ain't a PC. When you upgrade, you gotta upgrade the whole system. So it's always good to upgrade every year, especially for a Mac. Unless you want a giant paper weight.

Damn, that's expensive. Those are PC server mobo prices. And the quicksilver one's ridiculous.
  7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Just think, it doesn't include the CPU Daughtercard, and memory... which won't transfer over from the old machine. ;)