Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snooziums

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 30, 2004
Evergreen State
Hiya

I wanted to know where does one buy new Macintosh mainboards? I wan thinking about buying a new G4 mainboard to replace my Power Computing 604e mainboard in my computer (since it will not go beyond Mac OS X 10.2). I already know how to modify the clear case so that a G4 mainboard will fit (I do not know how to do it with the G5 mainboard).

I checked the Apple store and Apple tech support, however they were not able to give me any answers. I do not want a used one off of eBay. I want a brand new one.

Anyone know where to buy a new mainboard then?

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
If Apple won't sell you one and you don't want a used one from Ebay I think you're pretty much out of luck. Are you very good friends with any Apple techs?

FuzzyBallz

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Home of Al-Qaida
Mobo upgrade for a Mac? WTF, this ain't a PC. When you upgrade, you gotta upgrade the whole system. So it's always good to upgrade every year, especially for a Mac. Unless you want a giant paper weight.

allroy said:
hardcoremac

Probably not new, but the best you're gonna get

Damn, that's expensive. Those are PC server mobo prices. And the quicksilver one's ridiculous.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
FuzzyBallz said:
Damn, that's expensive. Those are PC server mobo prices. And the quicksilver one's ridiculous.
Just think, it doesn't include the CPU Daughtercard, and memory... which won't transfer over from the old machine. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.