Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rhobes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2004
Bigfork, MT
Hi All-

I have Mavs now but need to download 10.10 in order to update my FCPX. I don't want El Capitan because of all the bugs and my Intuos 3 will not work on it as well as my printer.

I see 10.10 is not available in the App store now. Is there somewhere that I can find and download the last version of Yosemite?
Thanks.

Johnny101

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2015
Denmark
Hi All-

I have Mavs now but need to download 10.10 in order to update my FCPX. I don't want El Capitan because of all the bugs and my Intuos 3 will not work on it as well as my printer.

I see 10.10 is not available in the App store now. Is there somewhere that I can find and download the last version of Yosemite?
Thanks.
Hi. You can not download Yosemite legally. But through Amazon you can purchase a legal copy.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Hi. You can not download Yosemite legally. But through Amazon you can purchase a legal copy.

I just looked at those adds on Amazon. I do question how legal they really are. I have USB sticks with OSs back to Mountain Lion and CDs for earlier OSs. Could I just make copies of these and sell them on Amazon like the listed sellers? I really don't know the answer:oops: But, I think that if they were legal to sell by 3rd party folks they would be for sale in the App Store.

Lou

Reactions: m4v3r1ck

Rhobes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2004
Bigfork, MT
I just looked at those adds on Amazon. I do question how legal they really are. I have USB sticks with OSs back to Mountain Lion and CDs for earlier OSs. Could I just make copies of these and sell them on Amazon like the listed sellers? I really don't know the answer:oops: But, I think that if they were legal to sell by 3rd party folks they would be for sale in the App Store.

Lou
Hi Flowrider-
I have to agree with you. I didn't give it a thought, but haven't bought it yet. I assumed, maybe someone could get away with it a few days but it would come to Amazons attention and be pulled. I thought this kind of thing was monitored by Amazon. Yet, as you say, why wouldn't not be offered in the App Store. Guess I'll see what I can find out before going for it.

Thanks for the heads up!

vexorg

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2009
It really makes no sense why apple doesn't list the last version of all OS X in the app store for clean installs..

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

Lou
Yeah... that violates Apple's EULA for sure and I'm surprised Apple has not put the smackdown on those sellers. I'm guessing does not know about it.

vexorg

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2009
Maybe apple would be in more trouble if people started demanding the latest OS actually worked, and hence turn a blind eye to the downgrade options.

Butchie-T

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2014
Colorado
Hi All-

Thanks.
I ran into this same problem shortly after I purchased my Mac Mini. By the time I wanted to upgrade it from 10.9.4 to 10.9.5, Apple had transitioned to Yosemite. Thankfully I had "purchased" Mavericks on a MacBook Pro a couple of months earlier and had forgotten that I did that at the time I was upgrading my Mac Mini. I was able to use that purchase and download 10.9.5 installer for that device and then get my Mac Mini upgraded to 10.9.5.

Lesson learned for me: Regardless of whether I plan to upgrade OS X or not, I will "purchase" the latest and greatest release on each of my MAC devices and archive it for later use.

It is a PITA that Apple does this with their OS's and then does not somehow make it available for their users.

vexorg

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2009
WE should start a safe repository of all the OS X versions. Technically we are allowed to own them if we have a mac

Erdbeertorte

Suspended
May 20, 2015
@vexorg

It's really stupid that Apple still sells the much older versions Snow Leopard, Lion and Mountain Lion but not Mavericks and Yosemite, just because they were free. :rolleyes:

I think they don't even care if anyone installs a version purchased with someone else's ID.

But they won't allow to do what you suggested, even if it's just for the free upgrades and the forum won't allow to discuss it because of that. :( I think even your post is already too much and might disappear very soon together with my answer. :(

vexorg

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2009
It should not be piracy if legal mac owners were to exchange OS versions that they are allowed to install, or had been installed at one point.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I ran into this same problem shortly after I purchased my Mac Mini. By the time I wanted to upgrade it from 10.9.4 to 10.9.5, Apple had transitioned to Yosemite. Thankfully I had "purchased" Mavericks
In this case, it's a matter of running Software Update to install the 10.9.5 updater for 10.9.4; it wasn't necessary to use the full installer. This still works even if you are reinstalling OS X from scratch and only have the full 10.9.4 (or older) installer.
"Purchasing" each major version of OS X when it's available is a good practice. At work I even keep each major and minor version of the OS X installer.

Butchie-T

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2014
Colorado
In this case, it's a matter of running Software Update to install the 10.9.5 updater for 10.9.4; it wasn't necessary to use the full installer. This still works even if you are reinstalling OS X from scratch and only have the full 10.9.4 (or older) installer.
"Purchasing" each major version of OS X when it's available is a good practice. At work I even keep each major and minor version of the OS X installer.

Actually in my case it was get what ever I could find as there was no hint of any Mavericks to be found within the App store. Apple had removed any semblances of Mavericks and all that was available to me was Yosemite. So having the purchased install on the MacBook ended up being my saving grace to be able to get the 10.9.5 upgrade.

I grab every major and point release that comes out now and save them off on a disk, regardless of whether I am going to upgrade to that release or not (which, I eventually do.).

Currently I'm running 10.10.5 while I study for my exams. Once I'm finished with them, I'll move onto 10.11 and start the process all over again. Between Cisco and Apple, it seems like all I do is study for the next exam. Plus getting CPE's for Security+ while I'm at it too.....

Last edited:

Rhobes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2004
Bigfork, MT
It really makes no sense why apple doesn't list the last version of all OS X in the app store for clean installs..

Well, having read all the following replies. I will now start to "buy" all the new OS's and save them. Best answer I think.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.