Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WildBB

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2014
Pandora
To test in Mac, I'm running Geek3D's GPU Test doing the stress test at 1920 x 1280.

I have yet to find a program in Windows which will report the usage of power consumption of anything other than CPU and fan speeds. Do you know of one for windows?

Which of the Geek3D's GPU tests are you running? Furmark?

In Windows, use TechPowerUp GPU-Z. It will allow you to monitor the sensors on your graphics card (Clock speeds, temp, fan speed, load, memory usage, power usage). There is also HWMonitor for Windows that displays this sensor data...

RobertSix

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
Which of the Geek3D's GPU tests are you running? Furmark?

In Windows, use TechPowerUp GPU-Z. It will allow you to monitor the sensors on your graphics card (Clock speeds, temp, fan speed, load, memory usage, power usage). There is also HWMonitor for Windows that displays this sensor data...

Thanks for this. I have GPU-Z now.

I have since flashed the bios of my card with a better bios, and it looks like it was indeed a driver issue in Windows causing the crashing. I completely removed all previous drivers and now it has run for nearly a week without crashing.

I ran the GPU at 100% for 12 hours straight, several days in a row, monitoring it to test stability. So far no problems.

The max wattage this card has pulled is 182w. This is from 2 x PCIe (1 @ 84w, 1 @ 64w) booster slots and only 33w from the PCIe slot.

However when running with 2 x Sata's to an 8 Pin, the power draw is totalling around 165w (1 booster @ 68w, 33 from the PCIe, 64 from 2 x Sata's).

Why? I'm not sure. Furmark more or less the same, but actually 200 points higher test scores with 2 x Satas running 18w shorter overall.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.