Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DonLafferty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2023
I recently bought a 512k Macintosh and it works but won't eject a disk. I went through all the videos and websites that talked about fixing it and I followed everything but when I connect it and click the Eject icon the ejector motor moves around about halfway, the disk raises up, and seems to start moving out then it stalls. I have 2 of these drives, one was in an external case and when I use that one it won't read a disk to boot. I changed the ejectors and heads every which way and it seems to not matter, only the one head will read and neither ejector actually ejects. My thought was to buy just a bare drive but I can't seem to find any under $80-$100 on Ebay or anywhere else. Any ideas? I would be willing to pay up to $50 for just a bare drive but anything beyond that seems excessive.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
You might try searching for a local shop that takes in used computer equipment and sells parts. I just did a search for “used computer parts” and got a couple of dozen places. They often have a lot of old equipment like that sitting around.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
If you replaced the eject gear. But it still sticks part way. Try cleaning and lubricating again more thoroughly.

When I was redoing a bunch of floppy drives. The 800k one was only partially ejecting too. So, I cleaned and lubed it a second time and it worked. All I can figure is I wasn’t thorough enough the first time.

DonLafferty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2023
Thanks, I will try that. Everything seems to move with no friction and it appears somebody else tried that as it has white lithium grease on it now. But I'll try cleaning it again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.