Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

schweinsteiger

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 10, 2009
I'm a graphic designer, mainly work in Quark, PS and Flash, run a huge itunes library and have several dozen of web tabs open at the same time. I won't be doing any games, 3D, video or rendering, so I doubt the octo core will be necessary for me.

I'm finally ready to make my purchase of the new MacPro. I think I will go for the 2.93 Quad, get 8GB RAM from OWC, two 1TB WD Black Caviar HDs and one WD 1.5TB Green HD from newegg.

I have a Dual 1.85 G5 at the moment and use two displays, a 20" and a 23" ACD, which has been OK for me in the past years.

With the new MacPro I want to get a 30" monitor, keep the 23"ACD and pass the 20" over to my wife along with the G5.

Now I'm a little worried that the Apple 30" ACD is a bit old tech (2004!), even though I like the look of it.

I've read a lot of raving reviews about the NEC LCD3090 and am considering that one.

What do you guys think about it?

I must admit I'm a bit hesitant to allow a non-Apple display onto my desk (just for looks). Otherwise reviews seems to indicate that the NEC is much better in terms of image quality.

On the other hand I think it might be likely that there will be a new 30"LED Apple display in the next months, all modern and shiny. And I would be sitting at my desk with a clunky looking PC monitor ....

Also, if I get the NEC, do you think it would be OK to just use it out of the box - or is the SpectraView calibration kit really necessary?

The other option would be to get the 24"LED Apple display, but I'm not so sure about the glossy surface, and I could really use the bigger screen for work.

Let me hear some expert advice, please!

Gonk42

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
near Cambridge
The nec has had good reviews from everyone (pc pro, pcw, trustedreviews etc) but there may be issues with it and the new mac pro, there
is a thread on this a few down from yours...

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/681465/

I also agree it looks a little ugly in the photos (I've not yet seen one).
In the UK the nec is about 50% more expensive than the ACD.

schweinsteiger

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 10, 2009
The nec has had good reviews from everyone (pc pro, pcw, trustedreviews etc) but there may be issues with it and the new mac pro, there is a thread on this a few down from yours....

I think the issues just relate to the ATI video card. I was planning on just sticking with the NVIDIA ...

Anyone has more feedback on the NEC 3090?

schweinsteiger

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 10, 2009
Is money a concern?

If not, go Eizo.

Money is not really a concern, but I don't have a corporate budget to draw from either.

I heard Eizo is excellent, but also very very expensive.

I would like a good screen and would spend up to $2k (am considering the NEC refurb for $1.2k).

It seems hard to make the right decision here.

– Apple 30" ACD, nice design, but outdated tech, maybe a new version soon?
– NEC 3090, excellent reviews, slightly clunky look; MacPro issues only with ATI card, the NVIDIA seems fine ...
– Samsung XL30 -expensive, mixed reviews ...

More ideas, opinions?

Glen Quagmire

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
UK
The 30" Eizos have a cooling fan, which may be an issue if you're sensitive to noise or like a quiet room.

I'm about to buy a 30" monitor (next week) and I'm going for the NEC (the Spectraview 3090 variant to be accurate, which is Europe-only). Better quality than the Apple (S-IPS panel). I don't mind the looks - it's certainly better looking than the 30" Eizos, which are quite boxy (I've got an Eizo S2110W at the moment, and it is similarly boxy). The only real disadvantage over the Apple is that you miss out on the USB and Firewire connectivity. I have a 2006 Mac Pro, so there are no compatibility issues.

Even if Apple do come out with a new 30" display, I'd still go with the NEC. NEC and Eizo have their reputations for a reason: their products are the best. Whilst Apple's displays are good, you can do better (though, in the case of both NEC and Eizo, you'll probably have to spend more).

thagomizer

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2005
USA
HP LP3065 is a very good monitor, you can google for reviews comparing it vs. Apple and Dell. Might not be up there with Eizo in quality, but I have found it excellent for photography work using a standard color profile. Great for watching movies too, as the black level is very dark.

clownjuggles

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2009
I'd suggest calling Chromix they deal with people in your line of work everyday and test monitors for the big manufacturers on the side. great people to work with.

schweinsteiger

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 10, 2009
Pulled the trigger...

I've been waiting for the arrival of new MacPros since last September, once they came out I was confused which model to get ... like so many others too. So today I bought the 2.93Quad, and got myself 8GB RAM from OWC.

I checked all display reviews I could find .... and ten mins ago I pulled the trigger on the NEC LCD3090 - factory refurbished for $1.2, great deal. I called NEC and they confirmed that they do the refurb themselves, no scam, and they give a 1-year warranty. Not the 4 years you get if you buy new, but I saved $1k....

I will set up the monitor sometime next week and then will decide if I need to get the SpectraViewII calibration set too. NEC sells this for $300.

I added a second NVIDIA card, so I can use all three displays - graphic design heaven!

Thanks for your comments!

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
I do wonder about the 30" ACD, I mean 5 years Apple wtf? I don't see it being a cost thing since Apple has never been one to worry about charging a fortune. The current quality 30" LED display's are very expensive, but so is the ancient 30" ACD.

I have a bad feeling when they update they will go glossy with the f*cking MiniDisplay connector. And I hope they don't go down the same path they did with the 24" making the connector cable so short you have no real choice but to put the Mac Pro on the desk. The cable on the current 24" LED is 44" long, and their still is not an extension cable available.

Now it's not all bad some things Apple did very well, adding decent if not great speakers and a USB hub. But the bad out weighs the good with the new LED, at least for the pro market.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
I checked all display reviews I could find .... and ten mins ago I pulled the trigger on the NEC LCD3090 - factory refurbished for $1.2, great deal. I called NEC and they confirmed that they do the refurb themselves, no scam, and they give a 1-year warranty.

You only paid $1.2 for your monitor? :eek: :confused: :D

tamvly

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2007
I, too, have been thinking about a 30" monitor. Given the prices and capabilities, I've started to wonder if two 24" monitors might be better than one 30".

Any insights or opinions out there? Particularly from folks with two monitors?

dusanv

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2006
30'' = 4 MP (2560x1600), two 24'' = 4.5 MP (2x1900x1200). MP = mega pixels. So both configurations have about 4 MP. One 30'' is more expensive than 2x24''. I went with one 30'' since it's less hassle and more productive.

Go with Dell all the way. The 3007WFC-HC is a better monitor than Apple 30'' and is cheaper. Also more warranty. I'm really happy with my 3007WFC (3 years old now).

skyline r34

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2005
San Diego
Waiting for Apple New 30-Inch LED Cinema Display

I'm just going to wait it out for the new 30-inch from Apple, I like the new design of the LED Cinema display and now their rumors about Apple may go OLED for their Cinema displays and MacBook and MacBook Pro's, So I'm going to wait to see what happens at wwdc 2009 and if the LED Cinema for desktops is not out by then I will continue to wait because i'm not going to purchase the current Apple display it's a bit outdated even if it's a good display

Dr.Pants

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
I'll probably eat my words, but OLED probably won't be in the consumer arena anytime soon... Still way too expensive. An 11" OLED television runs around $1850 bare minimum at ValleySeek. True, apple could pull a blackmagic and produce a product that is so cheap in comparison to the compeition that the prices in the entire market go down, but I'm not expecting it. The best monitor features we could see are probably an H-IPS panel (or equivilant IPS from another company), LED backlighting, true darkness control, and a high static contrast ratio for the 30", in my opinion.

EDIT - H-IPS is LG's proprietary tech.

NightSailor

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2008
Connecticut
Dell 3008

Dell3008.jpg

I just bought a Dell 3008 refurbished for $1099 plus tax. It has a couple of dead pixels that woke up with one days use. I'm very happy with it. I wish I could afford two of them, but to tell the truth, I am happy with just one. I set up my smaller Dell 24" with 1920x1200 resolution and it did not look right next to the Monster Dell.

There were two left last week. They might be out of them by now.

NightSailor

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2008
Connecticut
I'm just going to wait it out for the new 30-inch from Apple, I like the new design of the LED Cinema display and now their rumors about Apple may go OLED for their Cinema displays and MacBook and MacBook Pro's, So I'm going to wait to see what happens at wwdc 2009 and if the LED Cinema for desktops is not out by then I will continue to wait because i'm not going to purchase the current Apple display it's a bit outdated even if it's a good display

When Apple comes out with a new 30" display it will be nice. But it will be more than $2000 for sure. I'd rather have two Dells for that price.

skyline r34

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2005
San Diego
Dell3008.jpg

I just bought a Dell 3008 refurbished for $1099 plus tax. It has a couple of dead pixels that woke up with one days use. I'm very happy with it. I wish I could afford two of them, but to tell the truth, I am happy with just one. I set up my smaller Dell 24" with 1920x1200 resolution and it did not look right next to the Monster Dell.

There were two left last week. They might be out of them by now.

I look at this display and many others like Eizo (too expensive), Samsung, HP, Gateway, NEC, Dells 3008 with the black brush aluminum but I like Apple's LED Cinema more but in a 30 inch, LED may not be nothing special but at least it will last a bit longer and will be a better investment in the long run, cost doesn't matter to me i've been saving up my tips from work and tax return from 2007-08 and I have enough for two 30-inch if Apple keeps the price the same like they did with 24-inch from 23-inch pricing, but only time will tell but besides all that man you need to clean your desk

ncc1701d

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2008
I've decided, since I've waited so damn long for the new Mac Pro, that I'm going to use my Eizo VGA 21 inch with a VGA adapter and then wait for the next 30 inch ACD. It's nothing short of a complete pain in the backside, and will end up costing me more (since I will not get the ACD included in the apple care - unless they announce it before my new MP ships around the end of May) and will have to get new apple care with the new display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.