Which airport should I get?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by moot, Jul 26, 2004.

1. moot macrumors regular

I have a one-year-old G3 ibook. After tripping over the ethernet cable numerous times I have sort mangled the slot in my ibook. It still works but I need to jiggle the cable around a little, and then keep my ibook static on a desk, if i move it too much I loose the connection. Oh well...

So I decided it's about time to go wireless. Because Apple doesn't show it cares about its customers who dont have the latest gear I am relegated to buying an old-style Airport card and not the fast extreme version. In retaliation for this I have decided to not give my money to Apple but buy second-hand goods.

Only thing is, which base station should I get? The original one is really cheap or should I pay more for the second-version or even go for an Airport extreme base station. Or should I not bother with Apple at all and buy a base station from a different company.

Of course I would like an Airport express but as I only have Jaguar I have been s*****d again. There is no way I am shelling out for Panther just so I can use an Airport expresss and with Tiger on the way, now would be pointless.

Anyway, does anyone have any ideas. I have only one computer and so am not creating a network. Just need internet access to my broadband modem.

Any help would be great :)

2. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

I'm not 100% sure on this, but if the card in the laptop is only supporting Airport (not extreme) - then you won't see any improvements in speed by buying an Aiport Extreme Base Station.

Still, if you are considering a new laptop purchase, you might get the extreme model so that your base station will be up to date. Or go Linksys - WRT-54G.

3. slughead macrumors 68030

slughead

I'd get a longer cable, myself.

802.11g (airport 2) is compatible with 802.11.b (airport 1). Don't buy an Apple unless you need features others don't offer.

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

You need to get the old Airport card, which is 802.11b. Any 802.11b rounter will talk to it. I have a Linksys setup that works fine. 802.11g is good for future-proofing, but you won't see any benefits until you upgrade. If you can afford to, I'd get a combo router/wireless router, so you can plug in directly as well as wirelessly without having two devices.