Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPad-User

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2010
Compatibility with Xmarks

Hi

I use Xmarks for syncing my bookmarks across several PCs/laptops mostly using Firefox and Safari. I read somewhere that Xmarks has problems with Chrome. Has anyone tried that when using more than one browser?

What I have read is that when a user uses, for example, Firefox in a PC and Chrome in a laptop, there are cases referring that bookmarks have been deleted or duplicated on the server.

For me it is important to have bookmarks synced over several PCs/Laptops, so I can't test myself. Is anyone using several browsers and Xmarks without problems?

Thanks!

lobo1978

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2011
I'm testing safari and chrome on mba 11. I've noticed that chrome refuses to load some pages completely (little load circle spinning in tab) which results in cpu load (1-2%) - this increases overall temperature and reduce time on battery (about 1h). Only when I manually cancel load (page is already loaded!) cpu load is 0%. No issues on Safari though. Anyone experience same problem?

I love chrome on my PC but on mac it just sucks! Waiting for solution

I use plugin to disable flash in both safari and chrome

iPad-User

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2010
I used it as an example of another browser that Xmarks works OK.
The real question, as I said is, does anyone use Xmarks with Chrome and some other browsers (Safari, Firefox, etc)?

Sniv

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2011
DK
I went from Firefox on my Windows computer to Safari on my mac - but with al l these comments on Chrome, perhaps I should switch to that one. I have it installed but have only been using it when flash failed on Safari (although I did install clicktoflash).

I think I shall give Chrome a try :)

Maziar

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2010
For me,Chrome does better in RAM management especially when multiple tabs are open(Safari eats too much RAM)
But Safari has supports for more gestures and pinch to zoom works smoother in pages

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009
iReader is awesome for stripping away all the ads so you can read a web page fast.

I was looking for something like iReader to replace reader in Safari. I tried switching to Chrome the last few days.. It is faster and smoother. I don't care for the interface as much and I do use Safari gestures on my Air a lot. Also 1Password does not work in a dialog menu with Chrome as it does in Safari and I use that a lot. I find with a lot of tabs open and after a little use Chrome uses just as much ram as Safari but I'm on 10.7.2 so that maybe be improved also. I think people will find that a lot of the complaints about the Lion version of Safari have been fixed in 10.7.2. Speed, ram usage, tab reloading, overall smoothness and responsiveness. I block Flash in both browsers although Chrome seems to handle Flash just a little better..

----------

I just started using XMarks again but deleted it as it uses a pretty fair amount of memory. I can spare it but it just annoyed me so i removed it.

I used it as an example of another browser that Xmarks works OK.
The real question, as I said is, does anyone use Xmarks with Chrome and some other browsers (Safari, Firefox, etc)?

----------

Firefox still has the best extension selection but many of them are abandoned or not up to date with Firefox's rapid evolution lately. Nothing wrong with it. Fast enough. It just doesn't seem to offer enough over Safari or Chrome for me. I keep it on my drive but use it rarely.

where does FireFox sit in all this?

----------

This doesn't sound right. Remove it and reinstall. Use something like appzapper to make sure you get all of it out before reinstalling. Macs' are heavily used at Google so they put at least as much effort into the OS X version of Chrome as the Windows version. Even if the Mac and Windows versions aren't always released at the same time.

I'm testing safari and chrome on mba 11. I've noticed that chrome refuses to load some pages completely (little load circle spinning in tab) which results in cpu load (1-2%) - this increases overall temperature and reduce time on battery (about 1h). Only when I manually cancel load (page is already loaded!) cpu load is 0%. No issues on Safari though. Anyone experience same problem?

----------

Right. OS X and all Unices are much smarter about memory and other hardware resource management than Windows. Processor too. Just because it uses a lot of memory when it can does not mean its a bad thing. However a poorly coded app, like pretty much anything from Adobe, can be a culprit in not releasing ram when its done using it.

I'm still amazed how many mac users don't realise you simply cannot compare RAM usage between OS's. OS X handles ram in a completely different way to Windows.

TinHead88

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2008

I had the same problem. Went back to Safari and all is fine. I get the impression that Chrome is better for Windows than Mac. I also got tired of those constant updates for Chrome with ridiculous version numbers. The UI isn't as nice with Chrome and I feel pages render faster on Safari.

phyx

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2011
Trollhättan, Sweden
If you like BeachBalls, go with Safari, otherwise Chrome is the one, and the speedster is the new Chrome Canary Beta, both work flawlessly in Lion, without spinning BeachBalls:cool:

Never had a beachball with my MBA 2011. And I am one of those users that have like 16 tabs on the browser when I'm surfing on the internet :p

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
If you like BeachBalls, go with Safari, otherwise Chrome is the one, and the speedster is the new Chrome Canary Beta, both work flawlessly in Lion, without spinning BeachBalls:cool:

Beachballs? Really?

----------

where does FireFox sit in all this?

Mozzila has seriously lost the plot on Firefox. All they had over the competition was extensions and with that no longer the case they just can't compete.

Sad really as it used to be my go to browser.

I have Safari on my Mac and Chrome on my work windoze machine (safari constantly crashes).

cheeseplane

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2010
I mostly use Safari because it just fits my needs. No beach balls or sluggish performance here. It's as stable as it should be. If I need to check out some flash content, I'll use Chrome :)

Boston007

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
My take

Firefox > Chrome > Safari
Don't discount Opera either.

Chrome had too many pages for me that wouldn't load right.

I have so much flexibility with Firefox with ad removal, SCRIPTS that I choose which to load on the webpage, flash, etc. that all pages load the way I want.

Memory usage is pretty good, better than the other two.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.