Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alphaq619

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 10, 2003
Bay Area
I just switched about a week ago. I use Mozilla on my PC and I installed it on my PowerBook. I've heard of Camino (Chimera) and I'm interested, but it's still in beta. Safari is interesting too but it too is stil in beta.

I'm just wondering what everyone out there uses. I might try Camino since it supports a lot of Aqua features. But for now, I'm sticking to Mozilla.

Oh and what about Internet Explorer? Is that any good? ;)

Any suggestions

FredAkbar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Re: which browser to use

Originally posted by alphaq619
I just switched about a week ago. I use Mozilla on my PC and I installed it on my PowerBook. I've heard of Camino (Chimera) and I'm interested, but it's still in beta. Safari is interesting too but it too is stil in beta.

I'm just wondering what everyone out there uses. I might try Camino since it supports a lot of Aqua features. But for now, I'm sticking to Mozilla.

Oh and what about Internet Explorer? Is that any good? ;)

Any suggestions

I think Safari and Camino are both really good, especially considering that they're still in beta, like you mentioned. They are fast, small, and they usually work for all the pages that I go to. Mozilla probably has more features than Camino, but it's also probably bigger and takes longer to load and so on.

As for Internet Explorer...most users on these boards will tell you that it sucks. The only advantage I can see with using IE is that you're less likely to come across a page that won't load properly. But I have had hardly any trouble with Safari and Camino, so I don't think it's worth it at all to use IE.

So my final advice: Camino or Safari.

[edit: I didn't see your little smiley-face after you mentioned Internet Explorer until just now, so I'm sorry if that was sarcasm or whatever...I can't always tell when I'm reading online message boards ;)]

--Fred

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Camino is a little more complete than Safari at this stage, but there are somethings I like about Safari better, too. At any rate, they are both much better than Mozilla

neonart

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2002
Near a Mac since 1993.
SAFARI!

Sure some will complain about this or that, but remember people were skeptical with iTunes and iMovie. But we've seen how Apple puts so much into their projects and both of these apps prove it. They're phenomenal!
Safari is headed the same way. Soon the competition will be far behind.

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
If you've got bandwith to spare, try them all.

Omniweb, iCab, Safari, Camino, Mozilla, Opera, Internet Explorer, etc etc...

No one here will be able to tell you which browser you will prefer so your best bet is to try them all out and see for yourself.
attachment.php

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
My favorite is Camino (chimera)

but some notes on them all.

camino - If you go with Camino make sure you grab the latest nightly build. The project has gone back to the Mozilla trunk and the new builds are much faster. Also if you enjoy following nighly builds there is an app called CaminoKnight that downloads them for you.

safari - Again make sure you grab the latest beta you can find. the beta apple is distributing is old. the latest build i have seen is .70 safari is a bit feature poor, but if you enable the debug menu you can get some of the essentials. Frankly i find i have to hack safari too much to make it acceptable, but many people like it.

mozilla - 1.3 is the latest and greatest, make sure you grab this rather than one of the older builds. also make sure you install the Pinstripe Theme, this makes mozilla use max os x's aqua elements — speeds it up and makes it look better.

ie - not worth using.

omniweb - we have been promised version 5.0 soon. there are rumors it will use Safari's webengine. If it does then it will be the one to beat, but for now this one isn't worth looking at.

speed - right now Mozilla is the fastest browser for OSX by far. camino comes in second with safari at a close third. the latest builds of camino though have been noticably faster every single day. camino may catch mozilla. ie is the slowest browser. ow beats ie, but both ie and ow are much slower than the other 3 browsers.

also of interest if you enjoy these sorts of things is Phoenix for OSX. its not quite bug free yet, but its neat to play with. very experimental but pretty neat you can grab it here

For more info on mac browser go to the Mac Browsers Board

and last but not least, Welcome to the Mac Community! Hope you enjoy your new Mac. :)

alphaq619

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 10, 2003
Bay Area
i dl'd camino, and while i like the aqua features in the preferences, etc...i found its not as "snappy" as mozilla. i found that when clickiing from tab to tab, that there is a slight lag before the page switches to the tab. maybe its just me. but for now, ill stick with mozilla.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.