Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

King Shady

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2010
San Jose, CA
Don't listen to all the people saying not to get Beats. They might be more expensive and yeah of course there are better quality headphones out for much less, but the quality of them are very nice. They look the nicest IMO. I have a pair of the wireless matte black studios and I love them.

If you do decide to get them, i recommend to go through best buy. They offer a 2 year warranty for $50.

:rolleyes:

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
Beats are great for some particular genres of music. They're especially good with hip/hop, dubstep and bass heavy electronica.

I listen almost exclusively to dubstep & bass heavy electronica. Can confirm bets suck for this genre too.

arftech

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2010
Beats headphones are both overpriced and overrated. I wish Apple hadn't wasted money in buying the company out. I guess it was a sound investment for them as so many people are under the impression they are good quality or are buying them because of the Dr. Dre association.

Personally I would go for the Bowers & Wilkins which is what I use.

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Headphones/Headphones/Headphones/range.html

Yes, the Bowers & Wilkins are nice cans but will not give you the bottom end like the Beats and some others will. If you're into hip/hop, dub or any other music genres that emphasizes bass the right cans will be critical.

Headphones can be genre specific and there's nothing wrong with that.:cool:

dest

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2014
UK
To sum up:

The only people saying buy beats are the ones that did.
Everyone else spent less and got better quality ones.

As for looks, that's personal choice, so not even worth debating.

arftech

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2010
To sum up:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/time-rethink-beats-solo2-excellent?page=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcpIba9SSjE#t=27

The Beats Solos are an excellent choice. It may not have been in the past.

OP: Go and audition Beats and other phones and then make a decision but to blindly say the newer versions suck is just dumb without trying them.;)

arftech

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2010
Hey, I'm pretty new here and was hoping to get this question answered. I'm getting the iPhone 6 in a few days and figured I might as well get some new headphones to go with them, and I've narrowed my decision to the beats studio headphones which I can pick up at an Apple store. I'm looking at the champagne gold and metallic sky colors, but I'm open to others. Which should I get? I provided a picture of my two top options.

OP, if you still choose to buy the Beats make sure you audition them first and as far as the color selection, go with what you think is best for you.

Here is a video review of the new Solos. This review is for the newer version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcpIba9SSjE#t=27

cchunk

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2012
To sum up:

I can honestly say I haven't found a pair of headphones that look as nice as my matte black studios. Beats arguably have the best design.

dest

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2014
UK
In your opinion.
Personally I wouldnt be seen dead with beats of any sort looks wise. Sound wise too lol

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Yes, the Bowers & Wilkins are nice cans but will not give you the bottom end like the Beats and some others will. If you're into hip/hop, dub or any other music genres that emphasizes bass the right cans will be critical.

Headphones can be genre specific and there's nothing wrong with that.:cool:

Even for that type of music they're not good in my opinion. Plus they look and feel cheap compared to other headphones in the same price range. More often then not people buy Beats because of the popularity and name. That doesn't make them good. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone no matter what kind of music they listen to.

Suspended
Oct 14, 2014
OP: colors depends on how you are and how you dress. Gold looks good and matches the gold iphone but it is not easy to wear. Black or white are the best choices in most cases.
Learn to choose things that looks good on YOU, it is something that everyone should learn. If you think both looks good on you ask your closed ones to help you decide, they will be more helpful than us.
Now you know that there are better alternatives if you want audio quality. If you want a good looking product, beats is a great choice.

Others: some of you speak about beats the way people throw mud on apple products. There are a lot of wannabe audiophiliacs in the world but most of us prefer to spend more on something we visually like instead of alternatives that may be better in some ways but does not look as good.
Is sound quality important for a pair of headphones? Indeed, but I may add that the main goal of iphone cases is to provide protection, yet some people prefer to spend more on good looking products instead of something that provides more protection. If they can, if they want, if they prefer it, why not?

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
This forum is notorious for Beats hate so take everything said with a grain of salt.

If it's Beats you want I say you get Beats. I prefer the matte black myself. Out of those 2 options, the gray looks better but I wouldn't buy either of those colors.

boto

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2012
You can't go wrong with Beats Pro. Perfect balance of highs, mids, and lows plus they are made out of aluminum for extra durability.

Korican100

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2012
Beats headphones are both overpriced and overrated. I wish Apple hadn't wasted money in buying the company out. I guess it was a sound investment for them as so many people are under the impression they are good quality or are buying them because of the Dr. Dre association.

Personally I would go for the Bowers & Wilkins which is what I use.

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Headphones/Headphones/Headphones/range.html

android people say the same thing about your phone

Two Scoops

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2014
United States
To answer your question this really depend on which suits your taste/phone (personally I like the white/gold)

For a better price/quality I'd go with Audio-Technica ATH M50, I've had my share with the Beats headphone but it wasn't enjoyable at all. On two occasion, the left side of the can is gone and one of them being a replacement.
I keep heaeing good thing about tgese audio technical. I wish I could give them a test listen. Same for beats. Maybe I can at an Apple Store.

----------

i haven't tried the Studio 2.0 much,

but the one on display at duty free shop was trash, might of been broken.

But the Studio 1.0 was horrible. It was OK in a sense but not for that price range.

They do look nice, but if the Beat Pros are the best in the beats line.

only $100 dollars more for a MUCH BETTER experience. might as well if you're going to spend $300 dollars anyways.
I'm actually thinking about getting the pros now. Choices choices...

arftech

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2010
I keep heaeing good thing about tgese audio technical. I wish I could give them a test listen. Same for beats. Maybe I can at an Apple Store.

----------

I'm actually thinking about getting the pros now. Choices choices...

OP, may I suggest that you don't get the Beat Pros. They're the older Beats and have not been updated. They're bulky and fatiguing.

If I were you my choice would be the Solo 2.0 as these are getting good reviews and cost less than the Pros.

However, there is another option which are the updated Beats Studio Wireless and they're getting good reviews. What make these a good choice is the bluetooth capability with no wires. Wireless technology has gotten better with headphones and they will have the same sonic signature as the Beats Solo but only wireless.

Good luck with your decision and most of all Happy Listening!

ohymmot

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2014
Beats has had a bad rep in the past, but the new lineup for beats studio are much improved. If I were to go beats, I would only go for the studios that are wireless. No one can deny those are some good looking headphones and the sound quality is good on the Bluetooth ones. I'd say they are the top for Bluetooth headphones. People will suggest you pick up then ath m50 or vmoda m-100. It is true those have better sound quality than the wired studio beats, but there isn't any Bluetooth headphones that are as good as the studios now. As for color, I would definitely get the matte black. Looks very slick and subtle but people know you have beats headphones.

boast

macrumors 65816
Nov 12, 2007
Phoenix, USA
We all should know by now beats are for fashion (and occasional music listening).

Anyways, I'd go with metallic

Two Scoops

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2014
United States
OP, may I suggest that you don't get the Beat Pros. They're the older Beats and have not been updated. They're bulky and fatiguing.

If I were you my choice would be the Solo 2.0 as these are getting good reviews and cost less than the Pros.

However, there is another option which are the updated Beats Studio Wireless and they're getting good reviews. What make these a good choice is the bluetooth capability with no wires. Wireless technology has gotten better with headphones and they will have the same sonic signature as the Beats Solo but only wireless.

Good luck with your decision and most of all Happy Listening!
Are the studio wireless better than the wired studios? I'd imagine the wired one would have better sound quality.

ohymmot

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2014
I had the wireless ones. But from the many reviews I've read, the wireless and wired are not much different in sound quality if at all. Besides the price, the wireless studios got some praise. They are not worth the money of $380, but this time the quality of sound isn't nearly as bad. A huge improvement from the last gen.

arftech

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2010
Are the studio wireless better than the wired studios? I'd imagine the wired one would have better sound quality.

From what I discern, the Studio Wireless has the same sonic signature as the wired versions. They're a costly solution but it's one of the best bluetooth headphones on the market and the thing with me is I now don't want to be tethered to my iPhone when using headphones.

Like I said in a previous post I also have a pair of Hifiman cans which is used for serious listening when I want everything right in headphones. Of course believing everything is right as related to headphones is subjective and ones opinion.:) When I just want to rock out and escape when I'm in the mood for some hip/hop, dub step, grunge, electronica and r&b I prefer the Beats because I love that somewhat exaggerated low end bass. Yeah, I can be a bass head.:cool: With the introduction of the Solo 2.0 and their wireless Studio version Beats has really upped their game!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.