Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
The lens is $200, and it's a USM lens...
and that's not the only reason, I posted last night saying why,

Let me break it to you gently: $200 is definitely considered inexpensive when it comes to lenses. Photography can be a very expensive hobby. Apparently that 28-80mm lens was the kit lens that Canon issued with many of its cameras back then, and the quality may not be all that great. You'll just have to experiment with it to see....

bmat

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2004
East Coast, USA
glass generally lasts longer than a body, and will affect IQ more than the body. So, you're dumping most of your money on a soon to be discontinued body (that is still priced relatively high) and not spending much on glass, which would last you for the next body you buy.

The 30D has one advantage, imho, over the XTi -- build. People debate the ISO performance, the true advantage of the sensor clean (on the XTi), or the extra two MP.

So, if you buy a 30D, you get $200 on glass -- not much you can do there at all.

If you buy an XTi, you get $600 on glass. Not a lot, but a decent amount for 1 ok lens and something cheap -- like a 50 1.8. For intermediate zooms, think Tamron -- not Canon -- at this price point ($400 range, for a lot more lens). You can get an affordable f2.8 zoom.

If you really want the tele instead of the wide, then the 70-200L or 70-300 Canons would be good. But, personally, I couldn't imagine having a body without a lens in the critical 17/24-50/70 range, particularly on a 1.6 body.

And don't ignore Nikon (I shoot Canon -- have used/owned XT, XTi for backups, 30D, 5D, 1DIII, so I know the range, but still think you can't ignore the other side). A D80 and Tamron 28-75 is about $25 over the $1200 price point.

DSLRs are expensive. Lens are expensive. But, glass is very important.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
bmat nails it: get the smaller body (either Nikon or Canon) and a third-party 2.8/16/18-50 zoom for instance (the relevant players are Tokina, Sigma and Tamron, my favorite is Tokina). That'll be a nice combo that usually covers 70-90 % of all photographic situations. If you go for a Nikon, you might alternatively get the 18-135 mm kit lens, that's a matter of personal taste (I prefer the former).

Tumeg101

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Orange County, California
Well my setup was ordered off amazon, I did 2 day shipping so it will be here Wednesday... I ordered:

Rebel XTi with 18-55mm Kit Lens
Sigma 70-300mm APO Telephoto\Macro Lens (it can be used for both things)
4gb Compact Flash Card

I am going to get a nice small tripod for macro in the next few weeks, I already have a full sized tripod for regular stuff...
My wishlist already consists of the 50mm f/1.8 canon lens, 2x lens extender, 2gb card, and a nice macro tripod

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
Instead of posting ANOTHER thread for this.... I will just change this one,
I talked to my teacher about the Nikon D40, and she said that MOST pros use canon, and the reason you see Nikons allot is because Nikon sponsors allot of stuff having to do with photography, and also Nikon cameras\lens' have to be cleaned once every two months, which costs $35-$75 (each time you have them cleaned) and the canon ones also have to get cleaned, but a place near my house does it for free...

I would personally rather you start a new thread... makes reading the responses easier. (thanks for the consideration though!) Hence me not reading other poster's opinions, hence the potential repetition below.

From the information above your teacher is an idiot and shouldn't be trusted with your education. She has obviously never used Nikon seriously and has been drawn in by the Canon Cult (there's a Nikon one too, don't fear...) I've had a D70 for 3 years now and haven't cleaned it once... no spots on any photos, wide to narrow apertures.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
Well my setup was ordered off amazon, I did 2 day shipping so it will be here Wednesday... I ordered:

Rebel XTi with 18-55mm Kit Lens
Sigma 70-300mm APO Telephoto\Macro Lens (it can be used for both things)
4gb Compact Flash Card

I am going to get a nice small tripod for macro in the next few weeks, I already have a full sized tripod for regular stuff...
My wishlist already consists of the 50mm f/1.8 canon lens, 2x lens extender, 2gb card, and a nice macro tripod

I don't think the 2x extender is compatible with any of those lenses.

Nice kit though. Enjoy, and take a while to decide on a next purchase. Figure out what you really need before you buy.

seahawk09

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2007
Canada
All this over two camera names OH BOTHER:rolleyes: I will say this dont buy from Target unless you want a squeaky toy for a camera go to a real Camera store and let the pro's recommend what they think is right for you. dont get in over your head money wise some shop seller's will try to make an extra couple of bucks selling you something you dont need. But one piece of advice I can give you is get it insured you never know what might happen later on down the road. oh and one thing more dont try to talk the talk and not know how to walk to the walk in a camrea store you just end up looking funny.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.